Poodle Forum banner

Doodle Brushing Workshop

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  hazardmuffin 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I suspect because the groomers are frustrated by having to deal with these poor dogs who are not brushed and combed and come in with serious mats.

When I used to take Babykins to a groomer, and I stayed with her, any time someone called to say they had a doodle to be groomed - the groomers were very polite and professional with them. Once the phone call was over they would complain and joke about how badly matted the poor dog would be.

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie
#4 ·
Yes, probably frustration. Looking at the poor dog that ended up being sheared like a sheep in that picture says a lot about how dopey some people are with doodle and poodle grooming. I used to see a young couple with a standard poodle who was always either nekkid or a hot matted mess. The poor guy only went to the groomer two or three times a year and they did nothing to work on his coat in between. I always thought it was borderline abusive.

#5 ·
What a great idea..............hopefully people will attend. I know my groomer and her employees hate shave downs. Complete shave downs on a poodle are not very stylish, and don't do much for showing their skills in poodle grooming they say! They try tactfully to advise clients but said owners rarely listen.... Blow outs of double coated dog's fur is also a big groan for them!

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie
#7 ·
Almost certainly out of frustration! That's actually a great idea. I've been thinking about offering one-on-one "learn to brush your dog" sessions for my clients. SO MANY new doodle (and, lets face it, all other breeds) owners coming in with their 6+ month old pups for their "it was so cold so we waited until spring" first grooms. Some have no idea that coming in just for a bath and brush is an option!

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I try to brush him, but he does have a couple mats," only to then have to shear a literal carpet off the dog.

Sad story, when I was still working at Petco, I once dealt with woman who had a beautiful young standard. This lady came in many times to ask for advice because she wanted her dog long and fluffy and poodley and beautiful, BUT she didn't want to pay for frequent grooming, NOR did she want to spend the proper time brushing, and she was always VERY frustrated that there was no cheap or easy solution, to the point where one day she just about screams that "if I knew I would have to do so much work, I never would have bought the dog!" before storming out.

I just can't fathom how someone could spend literally hundreds, if not more, on a dog, willingly taking another living being into their care!! and yet apparently not do even a BIT of research on what that entails. I also feel that breeders who don't make sure their pups are going to people who know this stuff are at fault. I once read on a golden doodle breeder's website that doodles require "minimal grooming", needing ONLY a bit of regular brushing, and an optional trip to the groomers if a bit of a trim is desired. WHAT??? Obviously, doodle breeders as a whole aren't known for their ethics or logic, but SERIOUSLY?

Wow, little rant there. Wasn't intending that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.