Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have the bomb toy red male. Problem is we would like to have red female mostly for a pet but one that matches up well with the male in case we want to have a litter or two. Problem is I don't want the male freaking out and marking in our home. He is far to attached to us and I don't want to mess him up. I would sooner fix him and have just one dog then have him ostracized because he marks.

So if he is the only male dog in the house and kept away from the female while she is in season is there a reasonable chance he will not mess up my house?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing some opinions on this. Billy is intact also as we are going to use him for breeding. This is something that I had not thought of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking forward to hearing some opinions on this. Billy is intact also as we are going to use him for breeding. This is something that I had not thought of.
Our Blaise sleeps at the foot of our bed, goes every were we go, he is litter trained and tells the news when we get back home after leaving him home alone for a bit. If he started marking it would be as awful for us as for him.:crying:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
What would be your reason for breeding ?

Second if he is house trained he should not be marking in your house.....
Enzo is intact also and I am not worried about him marking.

I baby sat a toy poodle and he was intact and did not mark in our apt either.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
If he's litter box trained I don't think he would be as inclined to mark in your home as he might be if he were trained to go outside.

I can tell you though that it is natural for male dogs to mark if they are being bred. That doesn't mean that he'll go lifting his leg all over the house, the really depends on how attentive you are to his potty habits. To be honest any time you bring any new dog into your home you can see changes in the behavior of the older dog. Sometimes a little remidial training is needed but normaly it goes ok.

My intact male WILL mark in our home if we bring a girl in to be bred, we have to really watch him. But he grew up with other intact males for most of his life that were also bred occasionaly, so that probably has something to do with it too. I notice that intact males that live with eachother and with girls who are intact are more likely to mark than intact males living with just one other dog who happens to be a girl. Just my observations on my own dogs. Since moving out and taking Howie away from my mother's "pack" I have noticed a decrease in his desire to mark - not that I allow it in the first place. I watched him like a hawk when we first moved in and he got the point that just because it was a new house didn't mean he could get away with any funny busniess. LoL

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I had two situations with dogs intact and females in heat around and had no problems either. ( forgot to mention that)

But what wonderpup said is true about dogs acting different with new dogs in the house when my friend brings his bichon over Enzo acts like he is not trained .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why? He is the sweetest thing and we have friends and family that would love to have one of his off spring. He has great confirmation. The vet just assumed on his first look at him that having him fixed was out of the question. He is a vivid red and I would like to see more reds in our area. Don't get me wrong we are not going into the breading business.

He is litter trained 100% at 6 months old so never goes out side unless on a lead for walks etc. Its my understanding the house trained has nothing to do with a male dogs instinct to let other mail dogs know what his space.

I don't know if a lack of male competition will make it less likely. Or if just not having any other dogs around will help.

We had a precious female that had a liver shunt and died. She was my son's dog and mine really. Blaise has taken to my wife and daughter so I would like another female. If they match up that would a secondary and an we may never allow them to be around each other when she is in season anyway.

Just looking to make the right choice for all.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwww how sad about the liver shunt. We have a family we are working with right now who have spent thousands on their dog who has liver shunt, he is now 3 years old. The just sort of refused to accept the fact that they would lose him and I have to say I'm impressed. Meeting him you wouldn't think there was anything wrong :)

I think some good advice here would be to go to a dog show and talk to breeders there. They can point you in the direction of breeders who have the color that you want. Have them evaluate your current baby and help you find a girl who will mesh well not only into your home but with him. They also often times know the least expensive places to have some of the important health testing done. That will come in handy I expect. Pretty often you can do eyes at a show, so keep a watch for that in your area.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Well, Billy lives with Carly who is intact and Brandy who was neutered years ago. Hopefully he will not find a need to mark in the house but if he does, I will let him know that it is not something that is acceptable. I'm sure we'll get through it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts