Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today is not the day for Saleen to decide to be a goober, I'm tired, cranky, cramping, sore form garden work, cold, fighting with hubby, and think I'm comming down with something.... You get the idea.

Saleen who has been such a doll still has a couple of puppy habits that are to be expected but were were just to much for me tonight. I ended up having to just take her and put her outside for an hour before I snapped. She didn't seem to mind, she had a blast running through the new flower bed in the yard.... grrrr!!!

Habit one: chewing everything she can get her teeth on. Everything except for her chew toys that is. I've been on and off the super comfy couch all night to take this or that away and redirect with something she is allowed to chew. I try and keep important things out of reach but she is pretty inventive about how she obtains iteams to chew on. Maybe that means she is smart? LoL

Habit two; trying to kill the cat. This is REALLY not acceptable, the cats keep my mother away so we need them! She isn't far enough training wise to associate the "leave it" with the cat when she is sooo worked up about chasing and catching Miso or Sake. If I can't impress on her the importance of leaving the cats alone I'll have no choice but to resort to a training collar for safety's sake. I'm honestly more worried about her getting hurt by one of the cats than the other way around. I dug out my citronella collar tonight only to find that the batteries are dead. I have a penny can in the works to help shock her attention away from the cat. What's worse is that she seems to think Mr. Wonderful and sometimes Wonder might be a cat and sometimes gets kind of serious about chasing them. That is even less acceptable than chasing the cat. I love the cats dearly but I'd get over any injuries to them eventually... if she hurt Wonder.... well lets just say I have an unhealthy attachment to Wonder. I cry if I have to go out of town without her. I moved out of my mothers house a whole month early because she took wonder to the vet and left her there overnight. I packed a bag, put Howie in the car, picked Wonder up at the clinic and never came back. I'd have a hard time forgiving any injuries to her. We already make sure the big dog's are seperated from the litte ones when we cannot supervise because I am so paraniod about Wonder lol.

Habit three; Pee'ing EVERYWHERE. It seems that Saleen learned that it is OK to potty in her crate and indoors in the last week and we are now back to square one on potty training. I am trying to be understanding, she is on antibiotics for her UTI which could still be effecting her. The vet said I pretty much cleared it up on my own but went ahead and gave us a full course to give her just to be safe. She has an x-pen set up on the tile entry way with a potty pad just in case and she won't "go" in there if she can get us to let her outside insead. Let her out in the living room and apparently she has no problems pee'ing on the floor. She also started pee'ing in her kennel again tonight when I fed her dinner. Arrrggghhhh! I interrup and to her credit saleen does stop pee'ing right away resumes outside when I take her out. That's little comfort though the third time I have to clean the carpet.

New habit; barking. I hadn't heard saleen bark until this weekend. Boy did she learn how! She feels that if Jazz isnt barking at the neighbor kids or at the new neighbor's dogs in their backyard then she should! She isn't braking uncontrollably but she is definitly learning from the tibbies and maybe Jazz too that barking in the backyard are kids, dogs, squirrles, or that darned growing grass is ok. Not Ok. We started working on that and boy were ALL four dog's completely shocked by the water hose when they decided they needed to wage a little fence war with the new dog's next door and ignore mommy telling them to knock it off. For the rest of the day when I told them to hush or warned them not to start everyone (except saleen who doesn't know better yet) came running over to me right away.

I think she's trying to be good... but I just feel crappy and I suppose it's easier to think she's trying to be bad. LoL

Because I'm making an effort to be positive I will end on a positive note;
Saleen has been afraid of getting into the car since we got her. She's ok once she's in the car but walking up to and getting in has been an issue. She backs up and fights you about it. She has willing walked up to the car just once or twice in the past month. This morning though she ran right up when I opened the door and jumped in before I could stop her. When we came home from the salon this evening she did the same thing as soon as I opened the door. I don't like her jumping up or down at her age but I will admit that it was a little bit of a relief this afternoon since I was so sore. I wasn't looking forward to having to drag her close enough to the car door for me to pick her up and put her in. So yay good for her being helpful lol.

·
Registered
646 Posts
oh I feel for you we had a cold/flu in our house for 3 weeks now as I got it from work then hubby got it now son.
First day every dam bone in body hurts then you get a knot in chest like never before and lots of burping. Lastly a cough that won't let go.
I am still coughing occasionally from 3 weeks ago.

Poor little beanie. I love crates and new bones for just those times. Times when I might have to flip and use my last bit of energy I have to yell. Off to the crates guys and here have this bone to be quiet.

There was a night last week I did just that and 730 the dogs went to bed as did I. Don't do it all the time so I didn't feel bad they can't tell time.

Hope your up and moving soon. Miss seleen can come live here while you recuperate if you like

·
Registered
912 Posts
Is it a full moon or something? Everyone's puppies seem to be giving them a hard time at the moment. Hang in there, you know when your not feeling under the weather her habits will seem easier to deal with :smile:

T dog is not being naughty, but I bathed him tonight and there is a big chunk of fur missing from the top of his hind leg :crying: Dunno what happened, wasn't there two nights ago when I brushed him. Think it might have been an accident with too much rough play between the dogs. It doesn't look sore, red or itchy - just a bald patch :at-wits-end:

Anyway I got side tracked again - hang in there, things are bound to look up shortly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I feel your pain. Sophie - thank goodness is being a good girl but Wrigley is about to send me to the nut house. Honestly, it doesn't matter what I do - he gets into stuff on the counter top the second my back is turned. And then destroys whatever was put FAR back. He has quite the reach. He knows he isn't supposed to because the second I walk in the room and discover it, he goes running to his crate (he gets time outs). Also, if I let him outside (our backyard is fenced in) he has decided to DIG all over the yard. I've never had a dog do this before. Call me nuts, but I didn't realize poodles liked to dig. He has made huge ruts in the yard. Then comes and brings his dirty feet in all over the house. And lastly, if he eats even the smallest thing off of his dry food - he has gas that will clear the house. Seriously - the whole house smells like POOP! I babysit three days a week and how embarrassing when the parents come to pick up their children and I have to tell them that is it Wrigley's gas (when he is two rooms away from where they are).
Oh - and he never sits down. Sophie will play awhile and then be very happy to plop down with a chew toy. Wrigley just paces and paces - all the time. You have to force him to sit and tell him to stay. The second someone moves at all - he is back up pacing...
Sorry to hijack your thread. I write all of this to say - I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!
Let's hope they both calm down a bit for our sanity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts