Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:)
About 3 weeks ago, I took my kid brother, Johny, camping. The second night, we were asleep in the tent, when something woke me up. I sat up and looked around, and saw a four legged shadow slowly creeping around the outside of the tent. It looked huge! I could hear it sniffing and snorting, and dragging its paws through the leaves. I was so scared, all I could do was watch it's shadowy movement as it circled our tent. Earlier, while sitting by the camp fire, we could here coyotes howling in the distance. I was pretty sure I had put all the food back in the car before bed, but did I leave anything out on the picnic table? Anything that might draw a hungry coyote into our camp? Johny woke up, and one look at my face, told him something was wrong. So there we sat, holding each other, not saying a word, watching the coyote's shadow. After what seemed like forever, it crept away from the tent, and we could here it moving around the rest of the site. Johny got out my pepper spray, and said that he would go out a scare it away for me. He's such a brave little boy, I just love him to death!! Anyway, we didn't hear anything for a couple of minutes, so I decided to make a break for the car. (At this point, the tent, with it's flimsy exterior, didn't make me feel all warm and safe) So off we go, run to the car, jump in, lock the doors....sigh of relief.....safe at last! I started the car, turned on the music, then WHAM! Two paws slam against the drivers side door! I just about peed my pants! But then I saw what was scratching my paint...... A very dirty, very mated brown dog! I could have kissed him just because he wasn't a coyote!!! He had a look of utter desperation in his eyes. He was saying "please let me in your car, I'm hungry."
I got out of the car, and he jumped back about fifty paces. He was nervous, and wouldn't come near me. Then Johny got out. (He's ten, by the way.)
He knelt down, said, come here boy, it's ok, come on! And I swear, it was love at first site! The dog ran right up to Johny, and curled up in his lap. We gave him some left over hot dogs, and water from my coffee cup. After that, I didn't really know what to do with him. So we put him in the car, and drove around the camp ground, to see if anyone was out looking for their dog. No one was. So we tied him up to a tree by the tent, thinking that his owners didn't know he was missing yet, and they would see him if they drove or walked by. Plus, I didn't want him to wonder any further into the woods. First thing the next morning, we took him around to all the sites, but no one claimed him. The park ranger didn't have any reports of a missing dog either. So what were we to do? I couldn't leave him in the woods to fend for himself, so we took him home with us. Before we left, we put up signs with our number, and left our info with the park ranger. Once home, I called all the shelters within 50 miles of the park, as well as all the shelters by our home, and put in found dog reports. No one ever called. I think that he may have been dumped. I took him to the vet, and as well as being invested with fleas and tick, he had worms, and a very bad ear infection. My vet thought that he was about 3 months old when we brought him in. Which would put him at about 4 months old now. I took him to the groomer and they had to shave him down, because he was so mated. Thats when I found out he was a standard poodle. Johny is soooo in love with this dog. He is kinda small for his age, and gets picked on alot at school. But Luke, (that's what we named him) just makes him come to life. They're like kindred spirits. Our parents were killed by a drunk driver 5 years ago. I had just turned 18, and Johny was 5. We didn't have any other family, so I've been raising him ever since. I know it's been hard on him. There's something about this dog though. When they're together, the sparkle comes back into his eyes. It's been too long since I've seen that. Unless an owner comes forward, we are keeping him. I don't really know anything about poodles, other than them needing to be groomed every month or two. Any information you could give me would be wonderful.
Thank you so much;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Oh my goodness your story sure touched me. What a wonderful boy your little brother sounds like. How wonderful that you rescued the spoo. You must be a very special person to take on raising you little brother at such a young age. I'm sure Luke will be a wonderful family member. I have 2 spoos myself and they are great especially with my kids. I'd love to see some pics of him.

You have come to a good place to find information on them. Spoos are very smart loyal and often think they are human they are so in tune with their humans. They are also athletic, they were originally bred for duck hunting.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This is such a wonderful and touching story! I think that dog was meant to find you both. It sounds meant to be. This forum really is a wonderful source of information. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. Please keep us posted and post some pics! Welcome, welcome!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
wonderful story. I was so nervous reading about the flimsy tent and the run to the car. I can't believe a poodle was lost in the woods. Its like a one in a million thing. I am happy and my poodles give me a reason to giggle like a kid dozens of time every day. Consider Luke as your therapy dog. Congrats on joining the happy poodle owners club.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Wow, what a fabulous story! You should write a kids book about it.

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask anything. There are lots of people who know lots of stuff here. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Wow - what an interesting story! Would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow, your story brought tears to my eyes. You are a wonderful sister, all three of you are very lucky to have each other. Any kind of help we can give, just ask. I'm new to the forum but already know that there are LOTS of experts here: expert breeders, expert trainers, expert groomers...and then there's novices like me...so you're not alone!

As a novice poodle owner, I have to say the first thing you need to do...training. I grew up with a very smart German Shepherd...I thought GSDs are IT...NOPE....poodles are sooooo much smarter it's scary! Get training!

Second...if you are willing...teach yourself to groom him. You'll save lots of money, and more importantly, you bond with your dog and are able to physically inspect and notice any changes in his health. The link below leads you to the book that taught me everything about grooming. It goes step by step, what you need to buy and how to's. It is scary at first, especially clipping the face but, if you follow her instructions to the T, you'll be just fine...trust me!!! It's worth it! Oh, and I believe this is the book that most/all poodle groomers use...
Amazon.com: Poodle Clipping and Grooming: The International Reference (Howell Reference Books)…

I'm in Canada, so my grooming supply shop is not available in the states but, I think US groomers go through here...am I correct Forum folks? PetEdge.com Wholesale prices on exclusive dog grooming and pet supplies

Oh, more info...youtube of course
Ah and this website....Grooming the Standard Poodle

Hope I didn't overwhelm you.
Good luck and stay a member.
Congratulations too!
Debbie

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
What a lovely story - and such a happy ending. I do agree about the training and grooming - your brother would learn a lot about caring for a dog from a good class, too. I would definitely look for a class using reward-based training, especially with such a young puppy. You will get LOTS of good advice about poodles here, and Dog Star Daily is an excellent source of advice on raising a puppy - Dog Star Daily

Do keep us posted on how you get on - and I too would love to see photos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! And Teffy, thanks for all the links:) I'd luv to be able to groom him myself. Our neighbor is a groomer, she's a wonderful lady, and has offered to groom Luke in exchange for lawn care. I'm sure she would be willing to let me sit in and watch, and teach me a little. It would be really nice to be able to do it myself. And yes, train train train! He's pretty good, but he does have some issues! I'm just glad he doesn't seem inclined to chew up the house! I'll post pics on Monday, I lent my camera to a friend for the weekend:doh: He looks kinda funny right now, all shaved down, but in a few months, I'm sure he'll be as beautiful on the outside as he is on the inside.
Thanks again everyone:) I'm really looking forward to leaning all about poodles!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
That is one amazing story, and you wrote it beautifully. Can you say "screenplay," boys and girls?

Call it kismet, luck, or divine providence, Luke was clearly meant to be with you. Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
681 Posts
What an amazing story!! Poodles are very special dogs!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Poodleskirt, I just LOVE IT when good things happen to good people. And my goodness, woman, you strike me as one of the most good-hearted people on the planet. First I want to tell you how very sorry I am for the tragic loss of your parents. I've no doubt they knew you'd always be there for Johnny, but no one could have imagined the circumstances under which you'd demonstrate that.

You and Johnny deserve a poodle. I honestly cannot think of a more uplifting gift, aside, that is, from having a "big sister" like you. I know you've got what it takes to train, groom and make a happy home for the new little foundling in your life. I truly believe he was sent to you and Johnny as a reward and an inspiration, which is what your story is to me.

Marian's right, it would be so cool if you did write a kid's book about how Luke came into your life. No doubt it would become a Disney Movie. Enjoy your new "boy," I'm delighted for you all. The way you write, I can practically see your little brother's smile each time he's with Luke. Okay, gotta go get a kleenex now to wipe my eyes....Welcome & thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
What a great story and told so well ,Welcome to the forum looking forward to seeing pictures of your special boy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just checked my messages. A man called, and said that he was Luke's owner. He saw the sign we posted. He described Luke very well, down to the mole on his belly. He was a very rude person, and was upset at me for taking him home. He said that if I would have left well enough alone, then the dog would have wondered back home. I asked how long he had been missing, and told him that I had taken him to the vet, he said he hoped I didn't expect him to pay for the bill. (Which I didn't by, the way) I wont even repeat what he said when he found out I had him shaved down. He wants to come Monday to pick him up. Johny will be back from soccer practice in an hour. This is horrible. I can't stop crying. He is going to be heart broken. I feel like the worst person in the world. I should have taken Luke to the shelter, instead of letting Johny get attached to him. It's all my fault.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's horrible, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. It is NOT your fault. You must know that, Luke's first owner was obviously neglectful.

My neighbour experienced something very similar. Three years ago, she found a rottie mix puppy in her backyard. She took him in, he was bleeding at the paw, emaciated, and infested. She didn't advertise that he was found, but looked around for 'Lost' posters, nothing. She checked the shelters, no one was looking for this dog. She brought him to the vet, vaccinated him, dewormed...you know, what you did...plus neutered him...licensed him. 2 weeks later, her little brother walked down the street and this crazy guy came out and took the dog outta his hands. They called the cops and because they have witnesses to the neglect (vet and shelter), they had a case against them. Later on, we found out that he was bred for dog fights poor baby. Sweetest boy. Hudson, the little pup continues to live next door happily.

I am not suggesting that you do this, I don't know where you are in your life, what resources you have and whatnot, but it's just an anecdote, something to think about. Forum people please chime in, I don't know, it sounds like you too have a witness...the vet correct? Did the shelter people see him? The groomer as well. This forum too, I don't know how much credence you'd get out of here, but there's those date stamps and proof of you not neglecting. I really don't know what is the best for you. Is it best for you to return him or to go to war for him...

My heart is broken for you, I am so so terribly sorry. You're still the best sister for Johnny. Keep your head up. Keep in touch with us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He just called back, and asked if I wanted to buy Luke from him for $300. Is this a scam? Is he really Luke's dad? Or just some guy trying to make money off a gullible girl? I don't want to give him up, but something doesn't seem right about this guy. Am I being played, or does he just not want the dog anymore? He was able to describe Luke to a tee. The color of his collar, the mole, none of which was visible in the posters. Sorry I'm ranting, I know no one can give the answer to this. I just have a bad feeling, and I'm not sure what do do.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I think you are being scammed. Being able to describe the dog does *not* prove ownership. Maybe he, too, saw Luke wandering around the campground, before you did. Does this creep have your address? Tell him you'll only meet at the local police station. Bet you never hear from him again.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts