Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been training Lola for agility before I wound up in the wheelchair. I would like to continue training and eventually compete but have a few questions. I'm also thinking about doing it at least at home with my spoo when s/he arrives.

How do I find a trainer who will work with me? The trainer I found before doesn't feel comfortable working with me and my issues.

Do you know anyone who works with disabled individuals who do agility? Do you know anyone who does agility in their wheelchair? I know what I've learned from the websites (ie I would be in the seniors division) but I would love to talk to someone who does it or has helped train.

I'm hoping to start going to competitions this summer and see if I meet anyone who thinks they can help me, but I wanted to see if y'all had any input.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I don't know anyone who does agility from a wheelchair, but I don't see why it couldn't be possible! I have seen many people with physical limitations who use vocal commands rather than running with their dog. We call my mom's agility trainer the bionic woman because she has had just about everything you can have replaced (knees, hips) and she runs her dogs in agility.

The challenge is of course finding the trainer. Your best bet, as you said, is to attend some agility matches and ask around. You might find a private trainer is more flexible than a club or class training environment. You could also call your local agility clubs and see if they have any recommendations.

Good luck in your search! I think it's great you plan to continue on with agility, it's such a fun sport.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Definitely go to the trials and keep searching. I'm certain with some diligence you can find a private trainer that will work with you.
I think you and your dogs could really have some fun. Don't give up :)
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There is a lady in the Northwest that runs a cav from a wheelchair..I actually haven't seen her run tho I met her at a trial where she came to meet me and my cavs(hopefully we'll be running at the same trial later next month)..she and her cav are doing well.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
there's a fair few youtube vids of people doing agility runs from a wheelchair! It is a little more akward of course, but it works for sure, and would be FUN!!!

Also check out para-agility WELCOME ON THE SITE OF PARA-AGILITY

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I know someone who runs a Lab from a wheelchair and they do pretty darn good. Don't give up - you can do agility from a wheelchair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts