Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my miniature poodle 2 weeks ago, and we almost had him fully potty-trained, until we had to have him dogsat for a day. Once we brought him back home, he never goes where he is supposed to, and he refuses to go on walks. What is wrong with him??

·
Registered
315 Posts
You should talk to the dog sitter about this,
Figure out how she trains, and if she attempted to train with your dog or did commands
If she corrected your dog [she chould have corrected way too hard or over corrected making ur dog scared of the leash?]

Could also be maybe the dog sitter is now viewed as more of an alpha then you?

But what ever it is you should really contact your dog sitter, but dont act worried or anything, don;t put her on the defensive just ask what she did with your dog, if she trained with him at all, if she crated him, then in the end after you get the information on what she did tell her that your dog is misbehaving suddently.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Raiko. The dogsitter is actually a friend, who gave him too much freedom. She let him run around her house, and before she knew it, he was peeing all over her house, too - but she didn't try to correct him.

We put him in a confined space, and he usually goes on his Wizdog (his toilet training system), but now, he's going everywhere EXCEPT his Wizdog within the confined space, and now we can't trust him running around any room anymore. It seems like he is peeing around the room for fun, now....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Start from scratch. Get him on a potty schedule, don't leave him unsupervised, and crate him when he can't be supervised.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Start from scratch. Get him on a potty schedule, don't leave him unsupervised, and crate him when he can't be supervised.
Exactly. :) Your pup will remember soon enough, he just needs a bit of guidance to remember how it goes in YOUR house.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your input. I figured I would have to re-train him all over, but was hoping there was a better way. My fiance had established himself as the alpha, but my poodle refuses to listen to him anymore. It looks as if things will be twice as hard this time around :sleepy:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, at least hes a pup. If he was an older dog thinking he can be dominant and get away with things you'd have twice the headache!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very very true. training a puppy really tests your patience, and it's disappointing that 2 weeks of work went down the drain in 12 hours, but I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to correct an older dog's behavior :amen:

i love my poodle, but he seriously knows how to be a little brat lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts