Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to take this Golden Retriever that lives in our apartment complex home with me, she is the cutest, most behaved dog (don't tell Sisko) here. If she runs up to you, you have to pet her. There's this really cute and sweet Goldendoodle that goes to work with his owner at these businesses that are right outside the apartment complex. I also wanted to take this Australian shepherd from the dog park home with me. I asked her owner if I could give her some lamb lung and she said that she had to do something, so she asked her to give me high five, and it was the cutest馃槏馃槶. There's more that I'm just not thinking of right now. What dogs have you met and wanted to take home with you?

Registered
I baby sat for a couple in when I was young but they had a Doberman named bailey and she was a ex-secret ops dog with the german police. she knew commands both in English and german.The owner got her when he was doing computer work for them, and she was injured (handler died) and they didn't want her in dangerous situations anymore, so he persuaded them to let her go home with him. Best behaved and at the same time dangerous dog (for intruders) I've ever known and she was absolutely gorgeous and very loving. she'd walk up and just put her head in your lap.It was the cutest. there was also a little Pomeranian I knew that had a skin condition that caused her to lose her hair all over her body, she was the cutest and so sweet! her head full fluff and a little on the tip of her tail.

Registered
I recently saw a picture of a dog at a rescue that looked just like Miracle. By the way they described her personality, she would have fit in well with the pack, but this pack of 2 is full!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I baby sat for a couple in when I was young but they had a Doberman named bailey and she was a ex-secret ops dog with the german police. she knew commands both in English and german.The owner got her when he was doing computer work for them, and she was injured (handler died) and they didn't want her in dangerous situations anymore, so he persuaded them to let her go home with him. Best behaved and at the same time dangerous dog (for intruders) I've ever known and she was absolutely gorgeous and very loving. she'd walk up and just put her head in your lap.It was the cutest. there was also a little Pomeranian I knew that had a skin condition that caused her to lose her hair all over her body, she was the cutest and so sweet! her head full fluff and a little on the tip of her tail.
I would have loved that sweet dog馃槏馃槶!! I'm so sorry about her handler. Wow! 馃槏馃槏馃槏

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I recently saw a picture of a dog at a rescue that looked just like Miracle. By the way they described her personality, she would have fit in well with the pack, but this pack of 2 is full!
馃槏 I don't look at rescue websites because there would be a dog or a cat that somehow came home with me. We're at our limit too馃様 until we move.

Super Moderator
The world's tiniest and most adorable Corgi was in Normie's puppy class. He's the 'first dog' of a newly married young couple, so he's in for a good life.

View attachment 467076
Oh boy that's a cutie!! I'd steal him and the GSD in a heartbeat. Would be pretty hard not to steal little Normie, too!

I think I'm going to offer to assist our trainer with future puppy classes.

Premium Member
Right now, I would like to 鈥渂orrow鈥 our neighbor鈥檚 6 month old puppy and return him after a few hours of training and play. He鈥檚 a first dog for this young family and it appears they expect him to train and amuse himself. DH has rescued him twice when he鈥檚 dug out from under the fence. They have an adorable toddler, and I see them trying to have pleasant family walks on the street with a lurching, leaping GSD, that is getting bigger by the day.

Seeing Normie鈥檚 Corgi classmate reminded me of my friend鈥檚 DIL鈥檚 Corgi, that she was babysitting. What a sweetheart, despite the drifts of fur. I confessed I wanted to steal her.

Registered
Someone in my neighborhood has a beautiful Dobie. It looks like a show dog, and is soooo well behaved, unlike my little terrors, lol. One of my other neighbors has the sweetest old Lab. Big guy always comes up to me and gives me a quick, slobbery kiss on the hand, and I feel like I鈥檓 the chosen one XD.

Premium Member
I met a man at our maiboxes that had a 6lb blue toy poodle. She was so darn friendly, her tail never quit wagging, and she was just a doll. She stayed right with her owner until I went to get in my car, then she came to the door and wanted to jump in. I'm telling you, if her owner had his back turned or something I would have let her and driven away as fast as possible lol!

Registered
Oh, lots of dogs. I fairly regularly have dogs who decide they would like to go home with me. I have a habit of working dogs that I meet that are undertrained/underworked and they decide I am super fun and should go home with me. The ones I have been really tempted by include an undertrained, rough playing but so eager golden at the dog park, a 8 mo german shepherd in a rural area that chased my car, and then when I got out as it was in front of my car, it was so eager to be worked (gleefully doing sit, come, etc for me- I had treats) that it refused to come when its (awful sounding) owner called, it wanted to come with me, and I had to take him by the collar and bring him home :(. I felt like the worst traitor when I walked back to the car and the dog strained to follow me.

Dogs that I wanted to take home that didnt try to come with me included a mellow black standard poodle (large inspiration for Annie, but havent achieved "mellow" yet), a sweet 6 mo sheepadoodle (other inspiration for Annie who is WAY higher energy), a malinois (Annie's friend at the park, so owner focused), a Maremma cross (my mom adores this one, and has volunteered to babysit it- she had a similar dog 20 years ago she still misses- so regal, has all the other dogs in the park under his fluffy paws, and breaks them up if he decides they are playing to hard, and prevents them from crashing into his 100 lb owner).

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I met a man at our maiboxes that had a 6lb blue toy poodle. She was so darn friendly, her tail never quit wagging, and she was just a doll. She stayed right with her owner until I went to get in my car, then she came to the door and wanted to jump in. I'm telling you, if her owner had his back turned or something I would have let her and driven away as fast as possible lol!
Lol!馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, lots of dogs. I fairly regularly have dogs who decide they would like to go home with me. I have a habit of working dogs that I meet that are undertrained/underworked and they decide I am super fun and should go home with me. The ones I have been really tempted by include an undertrained, rough playing but so eager golden at the dog park, a 8 mo german shepherd in a rural area that chased my car, and then when I got out as it was in front of my car, it was so eager to be worked (gleefully doing sit, come, etc for me- I had treats) that it refused to come when its (awful sounding) owner called, it wanted to come with me, and I had to take him by the collar and bring him home :(. I felt like the worst traitor when I walked back to the car and the dog strained to follow me.

Dogs that I wanted to take home that didnt try to come with me included a mellow black standard poodle (large inspiration for Annie, but havent achieved "mellow" yet), a sweet 6 mo sheepadoodle (other inspiration for Annie who is WAY higher energy), a malinois (Annie's friend at the park, so owner focused), a Maremma cross (my mom adores this one, and has volunteered to babysit it- she had a similar dog 20 years ago she still misses- so regal, has all the other dogs in the park under his fluffy paws, and breaks them up if he decides they are playing to hard, and prevents them from crashing into his 100 lb owner).
I love your inspirations for Annie!馃挆 I would have snatched that German Shepherd up when his owner wasn't looking.

Registered
I seen the most beautiful pair of parti Standards, and I wanted to take them both home. A chocolate and white parti & a blue and white parti. Both were stunning.

Registered
Right now, I would like to 鈥渂orrow鈥 our neighbor鈥檚 6 month old puppy and return him after a few hours of training and play. He鈥檚 a first dog for this young family and it appears they expect him to train and amuse himself. DH has rescued him twice when he鈥檚 dug out from under the fence. They have an adorable toddler, and I see them trying to have pleasant family walks on the street with a lurching, leaping GSD, that is getting bigger by the day.

Seeing Normie鈥檚 Corgi classmate reminded me of my friend鈥檚 DIL鈥檚 Corgi, that she was babysitting. What a sweetheart, despite the drifts of fur. I confessed I wanted to steal her.
A neighbor of mine had a beautiful GSD pup. When I met her she was very frustrated with it said it kept her up all night and she basically (I found out later) put it in her yard. I offered to help her with it and said I would take it for a few hours a day but she wanted me to keep it at my house. It wasn't feasible at the time. Anyway she let her young kids walk it and it was getting un manageable when I'd see them going past, it was leaping and its ruff was up growling at people in their yards. She let it almost get hit by a car several times as the kids couldn't control it on the leash. Sadly they rehired it. I wish I had know, it was a really well bred dog and I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I regret not taking it in the beginning when she was frustrated.

Registered
There's a white standard poodle that walks three older children past my house every afternoon.

I'd take all four of them. Such a pleasant little group.

Registered
Chipper was a little foster puppy many years ago. Animal control seized him chained out in a front yard in mid-summer. The owners lodged a protest, meanwhile he was in my home. The owners gave up after a few days and procured another puppy. (Animal control was going to return him but they couldn鈥檛 get hold of me, in the era before 24/7 electronic communication.)

Chipper, named for Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves (all fosters were named for athletes), sat on the front stoop with me for coffee every morning. He followed Scout like a mother and bonded with my son. My son wanted to keep him and I was wary of getting a second dog, my hound dog, Scout, being the first. Life was complicated. I鈥檝e always regretted giving him up.

I kept my current beagle mix, also a foster failure, after making a 鈥榩ros and cons鈥 list. I鈥檝e never regretted it and wonder if there鈥檚 another foster failure in my future (though I love my sweet, smart, loving spoo boy!). B34F4619-315C-406C-BCF7-5BD7A1DBD0F1.jpeg

Registered
There are two dogs who I still think about. The first was a near foster failure named Sammy. Sam was an outsized personality in a small dog body. Labeled a bichon mix but more likely a maltipoo, he could run with the big dogs. In those days the spoos covered 10-12 miles/day and little Sammy was right there with them, though maybe a step behind by the end. He loved every minute of it. At home, he's the only dog Mia has shared her bed with. Around the time it dawned on me that I should adopt him, the rescue announced that they had found a home for him. I cried so hard and will never forget the bitter look of anger he gave me when he left with his new family. I reached out to them some time later, and it seems he adjusted well and was well cared for, but there's still a Sammy-sized hole in my heart.

The second dog is one I saw but never knew. Back when I fostered, and about a year before I fostered Sammy, Mia and I were visiting a rescue. It was a chaotic scene - around 30 young males racing around an open field of several acres. Mia, in her superior wisdom, took one look at the bedlam and lay down by the fence. Another dog joined her, and they watched companionably while I did whatever I was doing. The rescue owner pointed it out to me and suggested I adopt the other dog, and I just laughed it off. Years later I sometimes wonder if she was right, and I wonder what happened to that dog.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts