Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve not figured out who the culprit is, but whenever Peggy plays with her usual group of dog friends, she comes home smelling like urine. Today I made the mistake of sitting down while they played, so of course the fun migrated until the wrestling mass of dogs was practically on top of me, and now I smell like urine. Yay.

Have you ever seen a dog urinate while playing? What could possibly cause this?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I’ve not figured out who the culprit is, but whenever Peggy plays with her usual group of dog friends, she comes home smelling like urine. Today I made the mistake of sitting down while they played, so of course the fun migrated until the wrestling mass of dogs was practically on top of me, and now I smell like urine. Yay.

Have you ever seen a dog urinate while playing? What could possibly cause this?
Hmmmm well I've never seen Misha accidentally pee (like humans laugh so hard they pee) but I do suppose it's possible. What he does do is roll in the grass and I think he's typically rolling in pee. I see a lot of dogs do it at the park. I do think a lot of people also do a terrible job of maintaining the sanitary areas on their dogs, so it wouldn't surprise me if wrestling rubs the nasty smell on Peggy. I am regularly shocked with the hygienic state of dogs I see out and about.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
With both Galen and now Ritter it was really impressive how pee covered my entire backyard got. I threw all of Galen's toys in the washing machine more than once because they got so stinky from being dragged through the grass.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm well I've never seen Misha accidentally pee (like humans laugh so hard they pee) but I do suppose it's possible. What he does do is roll in the grass and I think he's typically rolling in pee. I see a lot of dogs do it at the park. I do think a lot of people also do a terrible job of maintaining the sanitary areas on their dogs, so it wouldn't surprise me if wrestling rubs the nasty smell on Peggy. I am regularly shocked with the hygienic state of dogs I see out and about.
Ahhhh that makes sense, especially if they’re rolling in fresh pee. I’ve definitely seen them all cluster together in one area for a good roll.

And you’re right about hygiene. Peggy is overwhelmingly the least smelly dog I’ve ever known. I really have no choice but to keep her sanitary area short, otherwise it would mat painfully.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ahhhh that makes sense, especially if they’re rolling in fresh pee. I’ve definitely seen them all cluster together in one area for a good roll.

And you’re right about hygiene. Peggy is overwhelmingly the least smelly dog I’ve ever known. I really have no choice but to keep her sanitary area short, otherwise it would mat painfully.
Yes I agree Misha smells so nice compared to other dogs we know. But he does often have a gross outside smell when we get home. I think it is from the pee smelling and rolling. That and all the big dogs seem to use him as a slobber wipe.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ugh gross! LOL. Are boy poodles like a leaky faucet when they play?

Human boys can be gross and dumb in general (and funny), so it doesn't surprise me... I've seen some stuff. It's like herding cats.

I will say Basil and Earl (both SPOO girls) do 1 pee... And it's very clean and prim and proper.

There's a little slobber.

I guess it's what we signed up for.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes I agree Misha smells so nice compared to other dogs we know. But he does often have a gross outside smell when we get home. I think it is from the pee smelling and rolling. That and all the big dogs seem to use him as a slobber wipe.
Well he probably does make a lovely soft and fluffy wiping surface... 🤣🤣
Ok now I want to know a poodle named Kleenex, Scottie, or Charmin!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ugh gross! LOL. Are boy poodles like a leaky faucet when they play?

Human boys can be gross and dumb in general (and funny), so it doesn't surprise me... I've seen some stuff. It's like herding cats.

I will say Basil and Earl (both SPOO girls) do 1 pee... And it's very clean and prim and proper.

There's a little slobber.

I guess it's what we signed up for.

Lol no I don't think it is typical to leak for males or females! Though they do go through that gross puberty phase. Thankfully that ends. From what I can tell, most dogs just love pee and happily stick their faces in it and roll in it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have seen dogs with spinal problems pee without lifting legs or squatting down, but that's probably not happening in your play group.

I have to say that Violet is the best smelling dog I've ever been around. Even her breath smells good- like she's been eating muffins or cookies, lol.

Now Navy, who was labeled by the humane society as a poodle-Lhasa mix, gets a stink after two weeks without a bath. This is still better than a lot of dogs who begin to stink the minute they get wet. I live in a rainy part of the country, so wet dog smell is endemic.

Any way you can casually wipe the weiner of the canine stink offender at the start of a playdate? Baby wipes can do wonders... Good luck explaining yourself to your friends! PF will understand, though.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any way you can casually wipe the weiner of the canine stink offender at the start of a playdate? Baby wipes can do wonders... Good luck explaining yourself to your friends! PF will understand, though.
This made me seriously lol. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
I used to take Babykins to a doggie social where dogs ran around, chased thrown toys, wrestled etc. None of the dogs smelled like pee. Some dogs were not well potty trained and would pee and poop inside the building but it was cleaned up quickly. Play excitement can arouse the need to potty in a dog that recently pottied so its definitely possible some or more than one dog is peeing. Babykins had to pee before we went inside as did most of the other dogs, she also would pee and poop afterwards when we left, but I was the only one who left to building half way through the hour to allow my dog to potty outside Which is why she never made inside the building...so that was 3 productive potty sessions in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

it’s also possible some part of some dog is under the pee stream? I know my minipoo was once peed on by ano dog when she got too close.....which meant a quick March home for a spot bath, and a more diligent mom not to allow her too close to dogs when peeing.

I go to dog training facilities regularly where tons of dogs potty near the entrance, it never smells unless someone didn’t pick up poop. I would find it odd that two dogs could cause a smelly backyard, but if they peed on toys, even by accident, I can definitely understand the need to wash them.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Annie will pee as part of her greeting routine with certain dogs.. pee, then the dogs all gather to sniff and approve the offering, then run and play. She has submissive peed ever since puppyhood.

Thankfully, she thinks rolling in gross stuff is beneath her dignity so she never smells of it. I did once watch a male dog try and deliberately pee on another dog

1 - 13 of 13 Posts