Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs all do pretty well on walks, the dog park and pet store visits. No barking, or it's rare.

We play in the yard with them almost daily for a period of time and we also allow them to free play with a close eye - we are just like that. I am having a time as of recent from the dogs barking at neighbors....

We have a fenced in yard and neighbors on both side. One neighbor is new and I sware their black outside cat is purposely taunting the dogs lol!! :wacko:

Anyway, even if the cat is not there and they see kids on trampoleans or the neighbors dog out they bark, I mean all 4. So in order to stop this we have to be right there to correct the behavior. This morning, I just open the sliding glass door and left them out......well they barked like crazy at 7am~! I was hot so I slept in less the night before so I had to run and add to my clothes to go out and distract, and correct.

Does anyone have this problem? My dogs have not been doing this until recently...
Another thing the neighbors are doing is feeding the ducks and swans - OMG I sware it pisses me off when people feed from their porches. They are so messy and the swans are hissers and this gets the dogs all loud too..

As you can tell this morning aggravated me - maybe this is more of a vent.lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
My dogs bark at kids, people that walk past, etc. I feel like I'm constantly out there correcting them about barking. The little kids in my neighborhood are constantly taunting my dogs and sticking their hands through the fences. And, of course, if something would happen and my dogs REALLY wouldn't like it, it would be my fault, not the failure of parenting on the other person's part. So yes, I totally understand your rant. :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is such a big problem for us. I am the "dog lady" of the neighborhood. My next door neighbor is the "cat lady." It just worked out that we happen to live right next door to each other. I will soon have 6 dogs and she has about 20 cats. We live in subdivision in the country so all her cats roam the neighborhood. She does take really good care of them. They torment the heck out of my dogs. I have actually caught one hanging in a tree branch over my fence switching its tail just out of their reach. The go nuts. She complains, and I tell her they will quit barking when she puts her cats in. It drives me crazy. But I can't get mad at my dogs. It cats are on their property.:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
562 Posts
When i let my three dogs out in the morning i do not allow them to bark at anything. They go out in the front and my attitude is that i dont care whats out there you can look at it but keep your mouth shut lol. Mister can be worse than the other two, he thinks he needs to be a guard dog and i let him know thats my job not his.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have a problem with one of mine barking at the neighbour's dogs or with the neighbour's dogs barking at mine it sort of changes from time to time. I don't let mine keep doing so but the neighbours don't seem to worry about their dogs barking or at what hour they bark. As a matter of fact lately they have been letting one of their dogs roam the neighbourhood free. When it starts running around in our yard my dogs really lose it. All of this is slowly causing me to lose my mind!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.......well I ad not allowed it either but when swans are walking up beside your fence several times a week to be fed and then a cat hears my dogs and will appear about 2 feet from the fence...........sneaky little cat. My dogs ALL want to serve and protect and I am out there immediatly if properly dressed lol. But it really is getting old really quick. I might worry about the barking more than the neighbors but when it did happen this am I was shocked.

And we have a few dogs on our street, they do not roam free BUT they are kept in the garage with it open about 6 inches and they bark their heads off. I feel bad for them a little. it gets pretty hot here in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
.......well I ad not allowed it either but when swans are walking up beside your fence several times a week to be fed and then a cat hears my dogs and will appear about 2 feet from the fence...........sneaky little cat. My dogs ALL want to serve and protect and I am out there immediatly if properly dressed lol. But it really is getting old really quick. I might worry about the barking more than the neighbors but when it did happen this am I was shocked.

And we have a few dogs on our street, they do not roam free BUT they are kept in the garage with it open about 6 inches and they bark their heads off. I feel bad for them a little. it gets pretty hot here in the spring and summer.
I've had the same problem since the next door neighbor got first one Doxie that screamed and squealed like it was being murdered every second it was outside, and then they got another screaming, squealing Doxie! Arrrgh. Fortunately, they don't leave the dogs outside, they take them for walks, so they're not out there for long.

What worked for me was to train a special recall with a (silent) dog whistle, using a favorite treat as a reward for coming to me (braunsweiger). I put the whistle on a cord, and hang it around my neck when I let the dogs out, so I have instant access to it. The second I hear those screaming banshees, I use the whistle and hustle my butt to the 'fridge to get the reward. The PooDells usually beat me there! lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mine bark at the cats if they are crated, bark at everything outside the yard, one time we saw the neighbor kids pinching my dogs faces through the gap in the fence

neighbor kids also let my borzoi Anja and Izzy (our toy poodle )
out of an ex pen once when they were very young
this is why I dont procreate....just sayin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts