Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is off topic. Hence why it is here, and not in "other dogs"... TheFiance and I made a pallet in the floor last night and watched Christmas movies mixed in with a little TV... we flipped to Animal Planet and they were doing a "Designer Breeds Dogs 101".

Well la di da, the labradoodle was the first pup on there... and it said some - as I have found often true with Dogs 101 - incorrect and ignorant things. However one thing caught my attention, they said that Labradoodles were "quickly becoming a breed of it's own" (as opposed to an over-priced mutt... no offense to anyone. I love dogs, period, but I can't see paying so much for a mutt I could get from the pound!) because;

"When labradoodles are bred with other labradoodles, their litters can retain the three main characteristics associated with [the breed]
1)broad/wide head
2)well defined eyebrows
3)3 different coat types"

So what do you think? Are they?

I feel like I should warn anyone that watches this to take it with a grain of salt, as I watched one on greyhounds one time and it said they were very active dogs - which is untrue for every greyhound I have ever known, minus for the 5 minutes where they run outside - but here's the link!

Thought I would share...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Totally didn't see this had been talked about a little in the "doodle" thread. That's what I get for not paying attention and reading some threads!

Disregard if you want to, or just feel free to amuse me and answer my question, lol. Whichever!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I just watched the one on the goldendoodle.

"When you see a goldendoodle, you think happy, fun, energetic."

No, when I see a goldendoodle, I think PITA, matted, ZOMG TABLE DANCE. (As a groomers point of view.)

"If you want that amazing Golden Retriever personality, but you don't want all the grooming and all the hair, this is a good dog."

Wtf is that suppose to mean? You just bred MORE hair into the dog!

"They have the smarts of a poodle, and the loveable behavior of a golden retreiver."

Hm, so I guess poodles aren't loveable?

I'm sorry.. I'm REALLY not a goldendoodle fan lol, nor labradoodle.
My dad is a huge hunting, gun owning, dead animals on his walls redneck. I love him to death, fun for me, super scary to other people. The kicker? He would totally defend a standard poodle over any lab and doesn't understand why anyone would mix the two. He's really excited for me to get my pup and is going to help me train it to retrieve. c:

It's just so fun to think that he would much rather own a standard over a lab, labradoodle, or any other gun dog at the moment.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That is absolutely biologically incorrect statement !!! The definition of a breed (variety) of any animal or plant is opposite of what was stated. One can declare to have (developed) a new breed (variety) only if the new characteristics achieved are permanent and genetically stable after breeding (pollination) !!!!!!!!

If you breed two Labradoodles (which are F1 generation crossing) , you will get F2 generation that will yield 3 possible DIFFERENT combination of genes :

- Individuals with curly hair
-Individuals with wavy hair
-Individuals with strait hair

Now - if you let dogs breed again and again without absolute controlling of who breeds to whom - you will get population that would eventually have some dogs that are looking like poodles and some that look like labradors and some in between !!!!! UNLIKE in the case that you let poodles breed between themselves over and over again - you will get nothing but poodles (or vice verse in the case of Labs). Yes, some poodles will not be up to standard at all - but still - distinctively poodles, never the less !!!

So calling a mutt a new breed is absolutely ludicrous !!!:wacko:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just watched the one on the goldendoodle.

"When you see a goldendoodle, you think happy, fun, energetic."

No, when I see a goldendoodle, I think PITA, matted, ZOMG TABLE DANCE. (As a groomers point of view.)

"If you want that amazing Golden Retriever personality, but you don't want all the grooming and all the hair, this is a good dog."

Wtf is that suppose to mean? You just bred MORE hair into the dog!

"They have the smarts of a poodle, and the loveable behavior of a golden retreiver."

Hm, so I guess poodles aren't loveable?

I'm sorry.. I'm REALLY not a goldendoodle fan lol, nor labradoodle.
My dad is a huge hunting, gun owning, dead animals on his walls redneck. I love him to death, fun for me, super scary to other people. The kicker? He would totally defend a standard poodle over any lab and doesn't understand why anyone would mix the two. He's really excited for me to get my pup and is going to help me train it to retrieve. c:

It's just so fun to think that he would much rather own a standard over a lab, labradoodle, or any other gun dog at the moment.
That is absolutely biologically incorrect statement !!! The definition of a breed (variety) of any animal or plant is opposite of what was stated. One can declare to have (developed) a new breed (variety) only if the new characteristics achieved are permanent and genetically stable after breeding (pollination) !!!!!!!!

If you breed two Labradoodles (which are F1 generation crossing) , you will get F2 generation that will yield 3 possible DIFFERENT combination of genes :

- Individuals with curly hair
-Individuals with wavy hair
-Individuals with strait hair

Now - if you let dogs breed again and again without absolute controlling of who breeds to whom - you will get population that would eventually have some dogs that are looking like poodles and some that look like labradors and some in between !!!!! UNLIKE in the case that you let poodles breed between themselves over and over again - you will get nothing but poodles (or vice verse in the case of Labs). Yes, some poodles will not be up to standard at all - but still - distinctively poodles, never the less !!!

So calling a mutt a new breed is absolutely ludicrous !!!:wacko:
We need a "like" button - like on facebook. Because I like both of these!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding was; in order to develop a new breed, the offspring of said "breed" must be the same and have the same characteristics for SEVERAL generations... I also don't understand how THREE different coat types can be okay. There are wire haired breeds that have a flat coat counterpart, right? But there are only two different types... not an unexpected third? I don't know about other breeds that have the different coats, but do they breed, say... a wire haired fox terrier to another hoping to ONLY GET more wire hairs?

I'm talking in circles, but my (uneducated) point totally makes sense to me!

If you watched the rest of the episode, for several of the "designer breeds", they tell you to get a first generation cross, where both parents are pure bred. Um... just... what's the point?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Lol, I love how the Goldendoodles and the Labradoodles always get the lovability of a lab/golden and the trainability of a poodle! Of course they only ever get the "desirable" traits

Even I have to say, that made me want a Goldendoodle/Labradoodle, even though I do not like them lol

And that silly woman was like "To get the healthiest Goldendoodle, you have to get a first generation cross!"
WTF????

Any reasonably intelligent person should be able to figure out that this is absolute crap! Just by listening to what they are saying, is just so contradictory.

I couldn't bring myself to watch the other ones, it would just make me more depressed.

And I have to say, the White Standard Poodle they showed in the Labradoodl/Goldendoodle clip looked so much better than the crappy dogs they showed in the video, and I loved how they said they were easy to groom, as they didn't have as much hair, when the spoo they showed was like shaved all over, with a reasonable topknot, ears and tail, with a wee bit of fluff on the leg! Even that would be easier to groom than the Goldendoodle/Labradoodle

Also (sorry for elaborating), I couldn't believe they were actually promoting crossing a golden with a toy or mini! WTF!!!

And this video just gives the average r****d the idea to mix these dogs, as the work looks so easy and every1 wants one.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and didn't you just love Perez Hilton on there? :rolleyes:

I hate that guy. He annoys the crap out of me!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
yeah I saw that whole epsiode...the "chorkie" REALLY got to me
I love the poodle so I may have been yelling at the tv during the doodles parts...but I was just ... stunned at the chorkie

WHY would you want to make something as fugly as a chorkie?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I posted in the other topic so I'm re-posting it here :D

I DVR'ed that Dogs 101 episode and watched is last night and it was not as bad as I thought, there were a few cavets about needing to have healthy parents, that its a toss up to what you will get etc..

The part about the boy with the black "Labradoodle" had me shaking my head, the dog they had was from a "Labradoodle" to Poodle breeding so it was 75% Poodle...why not just get a pure Poodle? That's what I don't get, if they are breeding AWAY from the Lab why add it in at all?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The part about the boy with the black "Labradoodle" had me shaking my head, the dog they had was from a "Labradoodle" to Poodle breeding so it was 75% Poodle...why not just get a pure Poodle? That's what I don't get, if they are breeding AWAY from the Lab why add it in at all?
Totally agree. The beginning of the goldendoodle part even said 'the idea was to make a dog for allergy sufferers, but that wasn't the case.' Then it goes off on something about dander and dust and whatnot, where obviously some idiot doesn't know anything about what a dog has to do with allergies.

It's just a huge scam, they just do it for the money.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My understanding was; in order to develop a new breed, the offspring of said "breed" must be the same and have the same characteristics for SEVERAL generations... I don't know about other breeds that have the different coats, but do they breed, say... a wire haired fox terrier to another hoping to ONLY GET more wire hairs?
Your first statement is correct !!!! No - you do not get even more wire haired fox-terrier by crossing 2 fox terriers- you get uniform puppies in the litter with some reasonable minuscule variations in all characteristics - but distinctly you get a Fox terriers.

Unlike - if you cross two Labradoodles of the same coat - the puppies will be with all kinds of hair in one litter and also with wide variation of pigmentation and size etc. That is why they do "breeding back" in F3 generation to get desired traits :doh:

There is NO consistency or predictability in the looks OR temperament and that is why Labradoodle is a mutt and will always be a mutt - no matter how cute he is (or is not ) .

People are just crazy and stupid :wacko: - period !!!!

It only shows how far this whole society is brainwashed and influenced by feds and marketing and media - that one would easily be per swayed to throw out 2,500 $ for a dog that just 15 years ago would be dumped in front of the animal shelter in the wee hours of the night :wacko:

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
yeah I saw that whole epsiode...the "chorkie" REALLY got to me
I love the poodle so I may have been yelling at the tv during the doodles parts...but I was just ... stunned at the chorkie

WHY would you want to make something as fugly as a chorkie?!?!?!
OMG I thought the same thing!! I was wondering WHY anyone would want that thing?? They looked smelly and ugly, in my opinion. Chis are cute, Yorkies are cute, but together they look like street rats. :\

UGHH on the goldendoodle, I don't know why the said "there is a mini version too, by crossing the golden with a toy or mini poodle". I yelled at my screen about that!! Who would EVER EVER say that as if it was a good thing? :doh: Who knows how many people will want a "mini goldendoodle" now?

I also got offended at the way they kept insinuating poodles weren't good pets. :\ Poodles are way more loving, tolerable, and they seem to have much better self control than any golden or lab I've met. Every single lab I have ever met as well as most goldens have been rambunctious, badly behaved, unruly dogs (who shed a lot too!). Poodles exist for a purpose other than being in dog shows and breeding to other random breeds to make them "smarter" or "hypoallergenic" (in my eyes, all they are doing is breeding an ugly, dumbed down poodle anyways).

Ugh sorry. I get so offended when people pretend that doodles can be purebred, when (as you guys have stated) they arent'! :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
OMG I thought the same thing!! I was wondering WHY anyone would want that thing?? They looked smelly and ugly, in my opinion. Chis are cute, Yorkies are cute, but together they look like street rats. :\

UGHH on the goldendoodle, I don't know why the said "there is a mini version too, by crossing the golden with a toy or mini poodle". I yelled at my screen about that!! Who would EVER EVER say that as if it was a good thing? :doh: Who knows how many people will want a "mini goldendoodle" now?

I also got offended at the way they kept insinuating poodles weren't good pets. :\ Poodles are way more loving, tolerable, and they seem to have much better self control than any golden or lab I've met. Every single lab I have ever met as well as most goldens have been rambunctious, badly behaved, unruly dogs (who shed a lot too!). Poodles exist for a purpose other than being in dog shows and breeding to other random breeds to make them "smarter" or "hypoallergenic" (in my eyes, all they are doing is breeding an ugly, dumbed down poodle anyways).

Ugh sorry. I get so offended when people pretend that doodles can be purebred, when (as you guys have stated) they arent'! :eek:hwell:
Unfortunatly poodles have a bad rep.........I can't understand it at all.:rolffleyes: Mine are total lovers!! The more I read the more I see it on certain forums.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys wanna know the best part of all this? I found the link on a labradoodle forum. lol

People on there were saying how they hoped it had a positive spin on doodles, because they needed some good PR. Anyway, thought that bit was interesting, considering Dogs 101 practically groveled at the feet of labradoodles. Must have been a poodle smear campaign lol :eyeroll:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You guys wanna know the best part of all this? I found the link on a labradoodle forum. lol

People on there were saying how they hoped it had a positive spin on doodles, because they needed some good PR. Anyway, thought that bit was interesting, considering Dogs 101 practically groveled at the feet of labradoodles. Must have been a poodle smear campaign lol :eyeroll:
Oh it will elevate their cause:mffad: They are really pushing for the mix to be it's own recognized breed. I am great with the service dogs but my god at what measures will people convince themselves this is ok.........and when I read today that someone purchased one because there were none in rescue -ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Here in 6 months they will be overflowing in rescue and shelters. SAD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That's what's so darn irresponsible about Dogs 101. There is no guarantee how these mixes are going to turn out. Sure some have the intelligence of the poodle and the laid-back attitude of the golden (or lab or whatever they mix with). But some will have the goofiness of a lab and (can't think of a negative poodle quality at the moment - excessive hair products?)... along with the shedding.

And so breeders will be turning out these mutts to satisfy another generation of mindless believers of all that is hype. And in less than a year I'll bet more end up abandoned than loved forever.

There are lots of 'doodles' in rescue. The problem is that most don't look like the adorable fluffy nonshedders that get all of the praise. And nobody really wants an ugly adolescent dog. They need to find that 'responsible breeder'.

A website I have posted previously as have others:

http://stoprutlandmanor.wordpress.com

These are not dogs that have been carefully cultivated over many generations. Any mutt of unknown parentage has been used if they have the 'look'. Nothing reliably reproducible. And since parentage is not known, how can health history be?

The only sure thing about poodle mixes are the huge profits.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I posted this in the doodle- poodle thread too. Just fyi. lol

I just dont understand what the concept is to breeding a lab x poodle or golden x poodle.

The poodle already excells at retrieving, agility, obedience, therapy work, considered almost hypoalergenic, comes in three varieties (toy, mini, standard), its the #2 most intelligent breed, highly trainable, great with kids and wonderful family companion.

So why do they need to breed a lab/golden to a poodle again? It just doesnt make any sense to me. Is it the poodle look people cant get over??? If so, why not have it in a teddy bear clip or shaved down?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts