Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know peoples opinions and experiences with the raw food diet. I am just wondering and maybe some new info on the diet and what everyone thinks. What do you feed your dogs and why? Are ingredients really important? DO you go through the ingredients on treats as well?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
One thing I feel is a MUST when feeding a home cooked diet is a bi monthly blood panel to make sure the dog is getting everything it needs on a balanced level.

As for pre made "raw" diets I like Urban Wolf. I know a few people who feed this mixed with a high quality dog food and they can't say enough good things about it.

I try to choose good treats, like with biscuits I go for a higher quality. With training treats I use some Bologna or hot dogs lol if I can afford it I'll get freeze dried liver for training treats.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've gone raw a couple of times but always seem to fall off the program at some point. I actauly raised a litter completely raw and I must say, easiest weaning I have EVER done:) I really liked the results but Wonder is a little picky and it was difficult to get her going on the raw stuff. She figures if it aint kibble isn't supposed to be warmed up so she didn't want to eat cold raw meat. *Shrugs* Howie did great on it through lol and the puppy I was raising at the time... I swear, He LOVED his chicken necks/wings/legs. When I was the pettrainer at petsmart I took him to work every day and it was like feeding time at the zoo when it was time to give him dinner. People, I swear to god this is true, would come to watch him gobble up his meal. Even customers from my classes occasionaly stopped by lol. The downside is that it can be a bit of a hassel to make the food. I used to devote a couple of hours every other week to make as much food as I could and then freeze it and use it as needed. It doesn't last long and even though they say it is cheaper, I'm not 100% convienced it is if you're feeding a housefull.

I've reccently discovered a new source in my area for the pre-made raw diets and have neen toying back and forth with the idea lately. Kind of goes back to cost in a way, I' not sure I would come out ahead price wise feeding the two tibbies (IF wonder would even eat it) and the two poodles. They really eat a lot on the diet compaired to what they eat in high quality kibble.... lol, of course some people beleive that NO kibble is quality.

I would get yourself a couple of books and really do your homework, BEFORE, you get started.
http://www.dogwise.com/Browse/SubCatList.cfm?SubCat=Natural Health and Nutrition
the link is just a list of books on natural dog car and nutrition, you'll find tons of selections. I would reccomend the books by Billinghurts and Pitcairn as a good start. There are also forums dedicated soley to the raw diets which would be a good source of info for you. Again, REALLY DO YOU HOMEWORK, you can really create a lot of issues if you aren't paying attention, which is counterproductive. Another note, if using discusion groups or forums for some of your info, join more than one. I was a member of one that was really really extreme when I first started doing the diet. I'm talking the type of people with flamethrowers at the ready for anyone who wasnt jumping on their bandwagon. They told me my dog was going to die because I wasn't willing to feed it whole rabbits and such right that second.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This post has nothing to do with the doggie diet, but just had to post to WonderPup, to say "LOVE your new avatar w/both of your spoos in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raw diet

I've been feeding the diet for 4 years, I just want some opinions and maybe I can learn something new, or someone else can. Thank you for your caring answer. I know someone who has been feeding their show kennel of standards and minis raw for 9 years and the dogs are florishing. I do believe in kibble too, I've done my research, but raw is best for my dogs :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have been feeding my IGs and Whippet raw for years - I can't say enough good things about how they look and thrive. I feed Nature's Variety pre made. My folks brought back 120 pounds of a different brand: Blueridge Beef - when they went to Florida and the dogs love that just as much. I also keep some Honest Kitchen on hand for when things are not quite thawed out.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am feeding raw and really like the raw meaty bones concept. I feed lots of necks, wings, backs, ribs, organ meats and tripe. I also feed a bit of ready made raw food like NV and Primal and when I feel adventurous I make my own version but it just takes too much time. ;)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
anyone using Oma's Pride.... if thats even how you spell Oma... Ohma... whatever it is. Just curious

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When I had Brittany's which I showed, I fed them 100% raw food diet. I got all my info from a book on BARF. It was a combo of raw meats with bone, pureed raw vegies and fruits with yogurt and other stuff (can't remember what right now) and it was all in ratio. My Brittany's had superb coats and were in great shape and their stools were small and hard. I was extremely pleased with feeding them like that, it was a bit of work but the pleasure of having dogs in such good shape outwayed the time.

For my poodles & dobie, right now I am doing a partial raw food mixing it with their kibble which is Natural Balance and they are doing great. I don't think I will go back to a 100% BARF type feeding but will do it as I am. I was feeding straight kibble till about 3 weeks ago and I can say for sure that their coats are already showing that they are benefiting from the raw feed and also, their hair and nails are growing faster... LOL... don't know if I want to say that is good or bad...lol. I have to cliip face, feet & tail more often now. Their stools are nice and firm and they don't go as often. Another thing I noticed, and it is weird, but their coat color is also richer now. I just LOVE seeing my animals happy and healthy. :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That is one thing I noticed too. When I got Betty at two years old, she was being fed kibble and she was a washed out orange/fawn and her coat was very brittle. She was a bit chubby and just not healthy looking. I switched her to raw and now she is a pretty red and her coat is smooth and healthy looking. (ok... you know I have to put a photo in :biggrin:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess you guys across the Atlantic have different ideas,and maybe feeding goes in fashions too. Both my poodles the Standard and my current Mini have been fed only on dry food as recommended by their breeder. Dry food is very popular in this country.
I think there is probably no 'right' or 'wrong' diet as each dogs digestive system is different and you should feed what seems best for your individual dog.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What would you say on average is the cost of going raw? Do you keep the meat frozen and stock up? I've notice that our hy-vee carries patties or tubes of meat mixed with veggies and fruits and have thought about going raw but for the mess (raw meat all over with little kids around is well.....gross) LOL , but I have heard really great things about going raw. I looked at the barf diet too but the ratio thing looks hard to follow. and what about teeth? Do you guys brush regularly? I'm sure the soft food could do a number on thier teeth?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Very nice action shot. Betty is so sleek and gorgeous. She looks so agile. Is this where your user name came from?

By the way, this possst is for Agility.

Sorry about all the sss's in the word post.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Agility.. that is a GREAT shot of Betty! I am going to be starting Grace on agility soon and am soooo looking forward to it!

What would you say on average is the cost of going raw? Do you keep the meat frozen and stock up? I've notice that our hy-vee carries patties or tubes of meat mixed with veggies and fruits and have thought about going raw but for the mess (raw meat all over with little kids around is well.....gross) LOL , but I have heard really great things about going raw. I looked at the barf diet too but the ratio thing looks hard to follow. and what about teeth? Do you guys brush regularly? I'm sure the soft food could do a number on thier teeth?
If you are buying the pre-made raw diets, you would obviously buy in quantity and freeze it. If you are going to make your own diet, you still would want to buy your meat in quantity, especially if you find what you want on sale, and freeze the extra, and you when you make up the portions, you would freeze them and take them out as needed. About children with raw food... some people are concerned about this and thus feed cooked meats (not bones though). It all depends on how you want to go...raw food diet or a cooked food diet.

Here is a great link on both cooked and raw and what you need to avoid and what you need to add, etc.
http://www.dogaware.com/wdjhomemade3.html

Hope this helps out a little. Of course, there are people who say one way is better than the other and can be very critical about a method you decide. The best thing is to do as much research as you can, then go with what you feel is best for your dog(s). Just be sure to make sure that you vary the meats and organ meats and vegies and some type of calcium in proper proportions, it is best to find a feeding program that is already set out that is good and follow that, or buy the pre-made ones. Best of luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your IG is beautiful!! Can you post pics of your other dogs? I will try and get my whippets pics on. I love to hear success stories about dogs on rw or partial raw diets. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I feed some "barf" style food, but mostly the pups' diet consists or raw meaty bones. Chicken/turkey necks, backs, wings are great for teeth cleaning. But if you only want to do BARF, just give your dogs raw knuckle bones and their teeth will be squeeky clean and pearly white. Also, kibble doesn't keep your dog's teeth, because dogs don't chew their food. Have you ever seen a dog throw up his/her food and it all comes out looking like the same kibble only swolen from the stomach juices (sorry to be so gross). Kibble just doesn't keep your dogs teeth, but keeps your dentist busy. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Whooo more whippet people!! Can't wait to see those pictures!

AgilityIG... sigh I miss our IG's now looking at that... What a lovely shot. *eyeballs poodles*... I wouldn't if I could slip one more dog in.... Hummm LoL.

My dog's must be weird b/c its been forever since any of them have thrown up anything that even resembled kibble. The jury is out on the poodles.. they may or may not chew, but the little guys sure do!

Since we're on the subject of things exiting the digestive track hows the poos on the raw? My dogs always had medium sized on raw, not tiny like I expected. Maybe something in the mix was off. The kibble I'm feeding now though, wow, even the poodle poo's are itty bitty... well compaired to what you might expect to see at any rate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts