Poodle Forum banner

Dog won't come to me

7576 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  HiSocietyPoodle
I have a 5 month old toy poodle who is always near me but whenever I try to pick her up or go near her, she runs away. At first it was cute, but now it's a nuisance. She loves going for walks, but when I try to get her to put on her leash, she runs away. Then she comes right back to me. At first I thought she was playing, but now it's 24/7. Anyone have this same problem? Solutions?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,905 Posts
I tried "charging up" the word come kind of like you charge up a clicker before you actually use it. So I was sitting on the couch with Teddy sitting next to me and I would say "come" and then give him a treat right away. It seemed to help him make an association between the word and the treat, which has helped tremendously outside where there are plenty of distractions. Sometimes he gets fixated on a bird or something and I have to pull so hard to reel him in that I feel like I'm abusing him. It's frustrating, but we're working on it and I'm seeing progress little by little. With no distractions, his recall is great.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that. When he leans like that, it feels like he weighs about 50 pounds instead of 12. It's actually kind of amazing that he can do that, no matter how frustrating it is for me. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.