Poodle Forum banner

Dog won't come to me

7576 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  HiSocietyPoodle
I have a 5 month old toy poodle who is always near me but whenever I try to pick her up or go near her, she runs away. At first it was cute, but now it's a nuisance. She loves going for walks, but when I try to get her to put on her leash, she runs away. Then she comes right back to me. At first I thought she was playing, but now it's 24/7. Anyone have this same problem? Solutions?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Recall, Recall, Recall...

This is a great thread I'm glad I found it.

I have a Male Toy Poodle that was a gift/rescue that has only been with me 6 weeks. I don't know Guido's history so I'm learning as I go with him. I have held off on training him because he was sick with kennel cough and a really bad bladder infection (blood in urine) I didn't want to push him while he was ill and not sure of his new surroundings. But other than his night incontinence issue I feel I need to start training him now.

All and all he is a great dog except he doesn't 'come' on command. He knows his new name I gave him. I have tried treats and he acts like he could care less. When I give him a 'Guido come!" command he looks at me like he's a dumb-dumb and doesn't have a clue what to do or I'm speaking a language he doesn't understand. I know he is a very smart dog. Again as a rescue I don't know how his previous owner trained him and the commands they used. I have had many dogs over the years, all breeds, mostly Spoo's and I've never had a dog that can't do the simplest command as 'come'.

As I read the posting on this tread I'm wondering if I need to do the command with him on a leach/tethering? And gently pull him towards me on the 'come' command so he'll understand what it is I am wanting him to do? - - - Or when he's outside in the fenced yard, and I call him to come in and he does 'come' I need to praise him a lot and give him a treat?

markfsanderson -- Thanks for all the valuable info.

You are so right about "come ... come ... come ... - damn it dog get over here . . ." I end up closing the front door in front of him because he stand there dumbfounded when I say "Guido come!" as I'm walking out the door, I close the door in front of him, he barks at the door for me to open it and then when I open it he comes. Silly game, isn't it?

It is true its constant training all day every day.

· Registered
336 Posts
Today I worked with him on the 'Guido come' command. He did very well with a lot of praise. I think its all newness on both our parts. He really wants to please me.

I did make him sit and wait for dinner and again when I was filling his bowl with water. I only had to tell him once to sit and stay, then I released him from the command on 'okay' and he got up and went to his bowl.

I'm going to work with him on the outside points you made as each day passes.

I don't have a kennel to kennel trained him. I have used that method with all my other Spoos I had over the years. We called it 'the condo' cause it was a really x-large airline kennel as big as some NYC condo's. :laugh: My cousin said she'll bring a small old kennel she has over next time she stops by and I will begin using it. Because I don't have a kennel/cage I do use the bathroom to isolate both Guido or Goomba when they have been bad (so to speak). We call it 'the bad-room' not the bathroom. I will discipline them tell them why they are bad and put them in there for a period of time. With Goomba it has been very very effective. But I will go back to kennel training.

Guido is a Toy. I'm not big on carrying him. I do very rarely.

Belly scratches he loves also...

He is very very good at baths, grooming and getting his nail trimmed and is feet buzzed with the clippers. I cut his hair and restyled his hair for the first time last week. He was as calm and cool as a cucumber, he enjoyed every minute of it. When I was through he pranced around like my Spoo's would do like they were going to a dog show. When I got him from the humane society he was groomed with a beautiful puppy cut. Whoever owned him took very good care of him it was very obvious.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.