Poodle Forum banner

Dog whistles

1611 30
I haven’t seen much discussion about dog whistles. I think it would be interesting, informative and fun to talk and share about dog whistles. Who uses them? What do you use one for and where? What kind do you use and/or recommend?

We landed on the Acme 212. I love this whistle and we have a couple of them. It’s a highly rated all purpose whistle.
Neither my husband nor I can naturally whistle so a dog whistle it is. We use it for recall and it works like a charm every single time.
Joey can sometimes get into a bark fest with our neighbors’ two hound dogs and he gets so quickly over threshold, not to mention the loud baying and barking, that he just doesn’t hear us when we call. The whistle gets immediate response and he races to us or the the house without fail. We love our dog whistle!😊

Hand Bottle Drinkware Liquid Fluid
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
1,257 Posts
I have one that is an actual bird dog whistle, and a few more that came from the "referee" section at Academy. Simon answers to all of them. At least he did. We haven't practiced a whistle recall in a while.

Reactions: Spottytoes

· Super Moderator
5,764 Posts
I can't whistle either, at least not loudly or consistently enough to be useful when calling a dog. I started to whistle train Galen with a mechanical whistle: one tone to sit, three in a row to return to me. That's a part of his training I had to abandon when I got Ritter; I simply didn't have the time to work with Galen separately after Ritter came along. One thing I did discover in selecting whistles is that really loud ones leave my ears ringing afterwards. Probably better to use a soft whistle to teach the skill and then make a transition to a louder one later.

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same whistle that you have. We use for emergency and hiking recalls.
My main hope and reason to whistle train recall is with the hope that both of my poodle boys would immediately come back to us in an emergency. Of course we practice voice recall too but the whistle really does work and it carries much further than the voice.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
I tried one when we started doing FastCAT (so she can hear me over the wind and highway noise) but it freaks Phoebe plumb out. I had hoped to be able to use it as an emergency recall. I can whistle normally and do find that useful, though I can’t whistle loudly or shrilly, and it would not be enough to stop her when she’s over threshold.

· Registered
472 Posts
For the Greyhounds we use a squawker, it’s essentially a duck call but resembles the sound the lure makes on the race track. It gets them running back to us. I only reserve it for when they are running the pasture and periodic training to remind them of it. They get rewarded well for coming back - Greyhounds are notoriously not allowed off leash unless securely fenced due to prey drive and speed. I tried it with Jasper but he was a bit scared of the sound. I haven’t trained him to a whistle recall, but it’s a good idea.

· Registered
Tyler
519 Posts
What a timely post - thank you! I'm so glad to hear it's working out for Joey.

Someone unlatched the back gate last week, and Ty figured out how to push it open while I was inside the garage (he was looking for me). He ran around in the alley and a bit out into the street before I was able to entice him into the garage. "Entice" does not equal recall.

After watching the fabulous video of Cooper, I started looking at videos teaching whistle recall, but I got a bit lost when I started looking at whistles. Thanks to your post I just ordered the Acme 212. (I can whistle tunes quite well, but I've yet to master the loud whistles of my dreams.)

· Registered
260 Posts
this is a great idea! i definitely need to teach Kirby a whistle recall as he's quite reliable with me but considerably less so for my parents and friends. training a whistle recall would probably make them feel more safe when he's staying the night or for romping in their garden and i'm indoors.

· Registered
157 Posts
I also have an Acme whistle! I can't remember which exact model (it looks a lot like yours), but I love it for its sturdiness and ear splitting volume.

I do quite a bit of off leash hiking, so I always have the whistle on hand in case of deer or other fun/dangerous playmates. I definitely find it more attention grabbing than my voice.

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried a couple of the basic pea whistles from the sporting section before I bought the Acme. I’ve had the Acme for about a year. I thought they were loud and shrill and would bother the neighbors more although I’m sure they are great for hunting or hiking. I like the Acme because it’s small and pea less but also, while it is loud and higher pitched, it doesn’t sound obnoxious. I definitely think it’s easier to control in the fact that I can make the sound softer or louder but the pitch remains true. The pitch is the same no matter who blows it. I/we really just need to blow a couple soft toot toots and my boys race right back.

As with anything, what style one chooses all depends on the need and situation. I know some trainers do some really amazing training with dogs and whistles. Maybe one day I will try training other things with the whistle. I think it would be a fun challenge.

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried one when we started doing FastCAT (so she can hear me over the wind and highway noise) but it freaks Phoebe plumb out. I had hoped to be able to use it as an emergency recall. I can whistle normally and do find that useful, though I can’t whistle loudly or shrilly, and it would not be enough to stop her when she’s over threshold.
I wonder if a different whistle would make a difference? It’s interesting to read about the different pitches.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
I wonder if a different whistle would make a difference? It’s interesting to read about the different pitches.
I wonder that also. It is an acme 211.5.

Reactions: EVpoodle

· Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread @Spottytoes. I'm now thinking about getting a whistle for recall training. This site lists the frequencies for the various Acme whistles.
It seems that the Acme 212 has the narrowest frequency range (+/- 5%), while the 210.5 and 211.5 are a little less consistent (+/- 20%). I wonder if whistle having a somewhat broader frequency range really impacts recall.

· Registered
731 Posts
With as much hiking as I do with Topper, I think a whistle recall would be super helpful. He has a great voice recall, but I don't have a loud voice and when I do raise it, I can sound angry. We use the word "party" as our recall word, because it's hard to sound angry when you shout it. We also just say "Topper Topper" and usually find a poodle by our side in nanoseconds.

· Registered
Tyler
519 Posts
We're wrapping up day 5 with the new whistle - only 1 toot, @5 or more times a day, inside only, while he's in the back room surveying his kingdom through the large windows. Holy moly - it's magic (although I know we're not supposed to say that)! He comes running like a banshee straight to me. Treat & Praise!

Next we'll move outside with a long line to start working with minor distractions.

Thanks - again - for this timely post!

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We're wrapping up day 5 with the new whistle - only 1 toot, @5 or more times a day, inside only, while he's in the back room surveying his kingdom through the large windows. Holy moly - it's magic (although I know we're not supposed to say that)! He comes running like a banshee straight to me. Treat & Praise!

Next we'll move outside with a long line to start working with minor distractions.

Awesome!!!! I’m glad it’s working so well!
I actually ordered a couple more just so I have easy access and not always having to go looking for one. That way I can keep one in our walking bag too. 😊

· Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
1,218 Posts

That's it, I'm getting one too!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts