Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Cindy - I'm 26 and probably about 2 years away from being a poodle owner. I know that is a while away - but it is never too early to learn and I am sure I will have an obnoxious amount of questions! My concern is that I am going to be a working poodle mom (unless that Powerball ticket comes through haha) and was wondering if anyone had used a dog walking/and or doggie day care service and the general feeling about such things. I grew up with dogs (my mom rescues Greyounds - they're GREYT!) but she stayed home to raise us and the dogs were rarely left by themselves so the 8 hour workday absence is something I have no experience in. My mom doesn't believe in leaving dogs home alone - and while I agree that it isn't ideal, I also respectfully feel working from home isn't always a realistic option.

I am a complete poodle newbie and really appreciate all the advice I have seen on this forum. It is a wonderful resource - which I'm sure I'll keep using! I would love to train my dog as a CGC, and do obediance work with my future poodle gentleman or lady.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cindy! Hope you learn lots of good stuff for when your very own poodle comes home!!

As far as dog walkers/daycare, I don't have experience with these as I've never needed them (yet). Both my husband and I work full time, but we're both also able to come home for a lunch hour every day. My lunch hour is from noon until 1 and his is from 12:30 until 1:30, so the dogs have us at home for almost 1 1/2 hours every weekday. It only takes us about 7 - 10 minutes drive-time to & from work.

There has been a rare occasion when, for some reason, we aren't able to make it home and the dogs are always fine by the time we get home at 5:10 PM, but it doesn't happen often. I think that if no one was able to make it home to let the dogs out to run in the yard at lunch time each day, I'd probably look into a daycare situation. We have a couple of options in my town and I know people who take their dogs there and have had good feedback.

Good luck with your poodle research!! :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome. I am a dogwalker/petsitter part time. It is fun and that's the money I use to put into my dogs. I think it is a great option for people that want to own a dog but work full time, especially a young puppy that can't hold pee for long periods of time. You should find one that you feel comfortable with and that has good references. Do you have friends that use a pet care service? They may can give good references. I am not part of a large company, I'm a sole proprietor but I do have insurance. Insurance is very important to look for in a pet sitter because it shows they take it seriously. I am also a member of a national pet sitter organization, but to be honest that usually just means a sitter paid a fee to be involved and that is all that is required. But again, it shows they are committed. Good luck;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm home most of the day but occassionally have all day meetings away and so my dogs are really not used to long stretches alone so yes I've used a dog sitter. She comes into my home, lets the dogs out for whatever period of time I specify, (stays there during that time), will walk them if I ask, feed if I ask - will do whatever I ask each time. She came recommended by both our local pet food store and my vet. She came to meet the dogs for 1/2 hour before she's even dog sit for them the first time which I thought was great so that Keelyn, Ginger and I all got to know her. I use a sitter vs. a doggie day care so that my girls get to stay in their own home. I also have a very dog friendly neighbour that I impose upon sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts