Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips for avoiding this?

We have a sprinkler system and I am considering running twice a day, but not sure this will help or not. I have heard and read some tips on line but I would like to see what everyone else is doing. I have spots everywhere.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We have the same problem. I have been told to pour some water on the urine spots and it will dilute the urine. I would be curious to know what other people suggest.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Have you considered creating a pea gravel potty station in one part of your yard? You would have to manually take the dogs to the area, but if it was only the morning voiding, this might help.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We have such a pee gravel station and that is a good idea. Gorky goes on the gravel in morning and evening, but other times he likes the grass.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I read somewhere that discontinuing the use of a nitrogen-based fertilizer will minimize the spotting. We also have spots. We use one section of the yard as a potty spot, but that section is all spotty. :(

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Hubby has resigned himself to the fact that he can keep the front yard looking nice, but the backyard has "gone to the dogs"!! :lol: We have spots, we have worn-down "run paths" and, since our backyard is full of huge, mature trees; we don't get a lot of sun so there are alot of places where grass just won't grow and we have DIRT! I've suggested the pea (pee... HA) gravel potty area, but he doesn't want the gravel migrating into the grass so when he mows, the mower throws little stones... I can see the dogs running through such an area and sending pea gravel spewing into the rest of the yard.

We'll just live with it for now... :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the gravel area is a good idea but not an option for several reasons.......

Oh and we are from the beaches of SC!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Go to the garden store and get some Garden Lime. Sprinkle that down and get it super wet. Urine smell and nitrogen burns will be a thing of the past. We do a lime treatment every two months or so (our backyard pee area is TEENY), but a bigger yard, you could foreseeably only need to do it every six months.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to the garden store and get some Garden Lime. Sprinkle that down and get it super wet. Urine smell and nitrogen burns will be a thing of the past. We do a lime treatment every two months or so (our backyard pee area is TEENY), but a bigger yard, you could foreseeably only need to do it every six months.
Thanks Tina!

·
Registered
681 Posts
No problem! My sister told me how to do it. Plus, lime is natural, so it's not bad for the dogs or the environment.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had the same problem plus the dogs running around all but kill the grass and we don't have much for a lawn in Flordia anyway not much grows in sand. We did the gravel thing,we ran a fence down the middle of the yard and put grass(ours) on one side and gravel(theirs) on the other and we have automatic sprinkles so it gets wash down every night and I pick up poo twice a day it works rather well.

There is a product that Doc Fosters sells don't know how well it works but here is a link to it.Dog Lawn Burn: Lawn Guard Tablets and Bites at Drs. Foster and Smith

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We put down the lime so we will see!! I hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Let me know how the lime works for you. I have started learning about fertilizer to help my hubby with our AMSOIL/AGGrand business. We have lime in liquid form, so it is absorbed more easily by the root system. It should help restore balance to the spots that have been affected.

I like the idea that it is organic because I like to use beneficial nematodes to control flea, june bug, ants, and termites. Chemical fertilizers will kill the nematodes.

Anyway, learning how the lime helps will be a good thing for me to know.

I have a small backyard and created a strip of fake grass for Zulee to use. It's perforated, so the pee drains. I wash it with the hose too. I found mine on eBay and got the 2" height so it is fluffy on her feet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
In the next couple months I am going to completly renovate my backyard since the dogs have just destroyed any hope of grass I might have. We have resodded twice, and still they tear it up, so we are just laying a bunch of pea gravel and some nice (pet safe) Potted trees.

Im sick of the sand migrating into my house LOL

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
we're having our whole front lawn re landscaped because Elphie and Neko have torn it to bits v.v;
but in our back yard they have a little pea gravel area that we used railroad ties ((I dunno if thats the right word... >.< )) buried about a 3rd of the way into the ground to separate and hold the gravel in

but I was on cherrybrook earlier and I found these
G-Whiz Anti-Lawn Burning Treats
they might be worth a shot to try?
I haven't ever used them though...so I dunno if they actually work

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I wouldnt use any of the pills for the dog. They actually change the pH of the urine to stop it from killing the grass. This can cause alot of problems in the dog including stones, infections, crystals, etc. Not worth it to me. :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
O.O
no its definitely not worth that...not at all
forget I posted that >.<

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem - I am one that really shys away from the "pills" anyway. :) It will take time I suppose to see any changes - other than that I have no problems with the 4 some in regards to the yard. Just the PEE PEE lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts