Poodle Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Registered
Groot likes anything by Vital Essentials. Chicken hearts and minnows are recent favorites but I also really like their mini nibs (they鈥檙e a food but I use them as treats). Stella and Chewy鈥檚 meal mixers are also a favorite as is most freeze-dried meat. They like jerky too but prefer freeze-dried stuff if given the choice.

I use chicken as well when I have extra on hand and then make broth with the bones and water that I freeze into ice cubes to give on hot days. If they鈥檙e being extra good, I鈥檒l put some bits of sardines in there too. A while back, I鈥檇 also put canned food or yogurt in a Kong and freeze that since Groot doesn鈥檛 like peanut butter.

Registered
Hope the class goes well!

You don't really need packaged dog treats for it. They're so expensive per pound, and often much lower value than other easy options.

In class, we just use a good variety of corn-sized pre-cut bits of tasty things that smell good enough to grab Peggy's attention: Chicken, hot dog, cheese, etc. The variety (for Peggy, at least) is key. Approaching the end of class, we'll sometimes even swap a handful with other owners.

For me, the most important criteria is that the treat be easy to grab. (Tried cut-up lunchmeat once, and all the slimy bits just stuck together.) And it needs to be super easy for her to gulp down, otherwise she coughs it back up as we're working or if she gets too excited.
I brought beef lung, cut up lunch meat, cut up ground chicken (mom cooks it for toppings in a loaf pan), and cheddar. The cheese melted and the whole thing became a fairly unmanageable mess (Annie said it was tasty though). Also, I see why the instructor specified uncrumbly treats - we are working in a sand arena, and if it crumbles it gets lost in the sand and gross. Annie was very funny - the instructor was offering her some of her treats (pill pockets) and I swear Annie thought that it was a trick to eat them. She would look at the treat in the bowl, sniff around the ground next to it and start wandering away, I'd tell her to eat it, then she woud eat it, then look up, begging for attention from the trainer. Didn't develop quite the "drive to go over the jump and get to the bowl" the trainer was looking for lol. She seemed to think the jump (a pool noodle on the floor) was fun, but was unsure why we were eating weird food at the other end.

I went out after the class and bought one package of duck flavoured soft treats, and a package of Farmina lamb mini puppy kibble in the hopes that I can use those instead of cheese next time. Annie hates hotdogs, can't have too much chicken, and a variety is definitely important.

Registered
I have discovered that Sisko likes moist treats the best. Sisko is wondering if anyone has any recommendations for him. He likes Zeke's duck treats the best. Sisko said thank you in advance馃榿
Homemade dehydrated meats and organs. You can dehydrate them for less time so they are softer. You know what鈥檚 in the ingredients and all you do is put food in dehydrator and wait. Then freeze and take out what you need. My guy loves chicken heart and gizzard. We also do grilled or boiled organic chicken. We didn鈥檛 have a dehydrator but got one recently and it鈥檚 been a money safer in the long term.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Homemade dehydrated meats and organs. You can dehydrate them for less time so they are softer. You know what鈥檚 in the ingredients and all you do is put food in dehydrator and wait. Then freeze and take out what you need. My guy loves chicken heart and gizzard. We also do grilled or boiled organic chicken. We didn鈥檛 have a dehydrator but got one recently and it鈥檚 been a money safer in the long term.
Cool!! Thank you! I don't have a dehydrator, but I can save up my money and get one(hopefully) My apartment doesn't allow grills 馃槩

Premium Member
When Asta was young, he let us know that praise is his only motivator . Impossible to deal with when trying to train him, especially the worst trainer I had ever met. We dropped that class quickly.
Found some treats he really loves from highest value to lowest
Peppermints
Mom cooked chicken or turkey
Chicken the lunch section in the deli of the grocers
Turkey in the deli the lunch section in the deli of the grocers
SmartBones in any flavor
3 Dog Bakery Classic Cremes - loves them all.
SmartBones sticks - not nearly the value of SmartBones

as you can see, Asta is spoiled these days. Still wants praise and can get excited when he has been good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
When Asta was young, he let us know that praise is his only motivator . Impossible to deal with when trying to train him, especially the worst trainer I had ever met. We dropped that class quickly.
Found some treats he really loves from highest value to lowest
Peppermints
Mom cooked chicken or turkey
Chicken the lunch section in the deli of the grocers
Turkey in the deli the lunch section in the deli of the grocers
SmartBones in any flavor
3 Dog Bakery Classic Cremes - loves them all.
SmartBones sticks - not nearly the value of SmartBones

as you can see, Asta is spoiled these days. Still wants praise and can get excited when he has been good.
Awww, that's so cute! What do you mean by worse trainer? Was the trainer like dog whisperer bad?? Asta likes peppermints?!?! Okay, thank you!

Registered
I prefer to give Beau homemade treats . . . meat, fruit, and dairy, etc. But I have discovered some really good store bought treats that he really LOVES. Three Dog Bakery Lick'n Crunch sandwich cookies, they are basically oreos for dogs. :D

Premium Member
The worst trainer seemed to run around and do nothing. But the breed should not be one. Finally the trainer said to force method and finally no trainers here so I am so happy to have found so I should to all of other helped me .
Asta loves his peppermints and would do - he gets a peppermint and then settles down.
Three Dog Bakery, Classic Cremes. I was lucky. to go get the visit at at the original store in Kansas City how -just luck to be meandering the streets of Kansas- Here Great Dane, Gracie was on duty greeting the clients.. What fun. The classic cremes are just one of their goodies. Goodies set out in a traditional bakery shelves and you could peek in back and see the bakers. busy.if you are thinking of Kansas City go the city is tons of fun.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts