Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Super Moderator
I like to get several different flavors and mix them in my pocket. Curiosity about what flavor they'll get next helps keep my boys interested in the treats. Right now I have a mix of ordinary Purina lamb and rice dog food, some Purina salmon cat food kibbles, CloudStar soft liver flavor, Zukes peanut butter flavor, VitaEssentials Duck Nibs, and VitaEssentials Turkey giblets. String cheese is good as a high value treat if I'm able to use it right after I unwrap it. It's a bit messy to keep in my pocket. I have tried using bacon as a treat, but it's too high value. The dogs lose their everloving minds and can't concentrate on the actual tasks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I think Sisko would like peanut butter frozen inside a Kong ! Very good on these hot summer days. :)
Thank you:)! I give Sisko frozen pumpkin sometimes, but I haven't done frozen peanut butter yet. I saw some dog peanut butter in Mudbay and wondered if I should get it. Like how different is it then peanut butter without xylitol?

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
I think they're something crazy like $15 cheaper at Costco. That's why I stock up. :)

There's something on Chewy called True Chews, which has the exact same ingredients. It's gotta be the same product. We've bought them before and can't tell the difference.

Peggy also goes crazy for the chicken pot pie flavour.
Okay:) $15 cheaper?!?! That's insane!

I tried True Chews and Sisko liked them. I got this one and used it as treats True Chews Meal Makers Chicken, Bacon & Egg Medley Dog Food Topper, 9-oz bag - Chewy.com

Registered
My spoo loved the chicken and apple treats from Costco - bought a bag the last time I was in the states a few weeks before the border shut down. I went to go buy them online and amazon wanted 99 dollars plus shipping 馃く which isn鈥檛 happening LOL!

I bought the Dog Delights Chicken sticks (not sure if they are in the states) and I cut them into about 1 cm pieces and she only gets a few. She also likes the Newman鈥檚 own soft treats (I got them at target), spot farms wild bison shreds jerky, kettle craft venison and apple or Zuke鈥檚 (but only the pumpkin and turkey ones at Halloween that I stock up on - she will not touch the other flavours LOL).

She doesn鈥檛 get a lot of these kinds of treats. Usually it鈥檚 kibble or veggies/fruits, cheese, or homemade treats - I usually keep a variety in my pocket to mix it up And so she doesn鈥檛 get too many.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
My spoo loved the chicken and apple treats from Costco - bought a bag the last time I was in the states a few weeks before the border shut down. I went to go buy them online and amazon wanted 99 dollars plus shipping 馃く which isn鈥檛 happening LOL!

I bought the Dog Delights Chicken sticks (not sure if they are in the states) and I cut them into about 1 cm pieces and she only gets a few. She also likes the Newman鈥檚 own soft treats (I got them at target), spot farms wild bison shreds jerky, kettle craft venison and apple or Zuke鈥檚 (but only the pumpkin and turkey ones at Halloween that I stock up on - she will not touch the other flavours LOL).

She doesn鈥檛 get a lot of these kinds of treats. Usually it鈥檚 kibble or veggies/fruits, cheese, or homemade treats - I usually keep a variety in my pocket to mix it up And so she doesn鈥檛 get too many.
I don't think they have it here in the states馃槥 but I found their website!

Registered
Sisko loves his Sojos too. We get them from Mudbay sometimes. @Mufar42 which is Renn's favorite?

Think Renn likes lamb, turkey then beef. But really all of them. And he will never miss a meal if I hid 3-4 of them in his food. LOL

Registered
We鈥檙e not sticklers on treats, mainly bc that鈥檚 hubby鈥檚 thing. When he stops at the store for me he likes to always pick up something for her. I always have steak pieces or chicken in the fridge so she gets a lot of steak and chicken bits but the soft treats is his special thing with so I let him pick whatever. There is a guy from our area that has a line of soft training treats I always grab when I鈥檓 out I don鈥檛 remember the name but I know the bag. I鈥檒l check the name next time I pick some up and let you know.

Registered
Well, um.... this is embarrassing. I realized that I dont think I have ever bought Annie treats other than beef lung (not moist, breaks up well) and samples of other flavors of dog food.

She, hilariously, is the first dog I have ever had that will eat milk bones (she gets them at various stores).

I am heading to our first ever dog class today, which specifies needing soft treats. I was just planning on raiding the fridge for some cheese and ham to be honest.... maybe I will stop and pick some up moist actual dog treats on the way home when I pick up dog food.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
We鈥檙e not sticklers on treats, mainly bc that鈥檚 hubby鈥檚 thing. When he stops at the store for me he likes to always pick up something for her. I always have steak pieces or chicken in the fridge so she gets a lot of steak and chicken bits but the soft treats is his special thing with so I let him pick whatever. There is a guy from our area that has a line of soft training treats I always grab when I鈥檓 out I don鈥檛 remember the name but I know the bag. I鈥檒l check the name next time I pick some up and let you know.
Thank you馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Well, um.... this is embarrassing. I realized that I dont think I have ever bought Annie treats other than beef lung (not moist, breaks up well) and samples of other flavors of dog food.

She, hilariously, is the first dog I have ever had that will eat milk bones (she gets them at various stores).

I am heading to our first ever dog class today, which specifies needing soft treats. I was just planning on raiding the fridge for some cheese and ham to be honest.... maybe I will stop and pick some up moist actual dog treats on the way home when I pick up dog food.

Good luck with training!!!

Super Moderator

Hope the class goes well!

You don't really need packaged dog treats for it. They're so expensive per pound, and often much lower value than other easy options.

In class, we just use a good variety of corn-sized pre-cut bits of tasty things that smell good enough to grab Peggy's attention: Chicken, hot dog, cheese, etc. The variety (for Peggy, at least) is key. Approaching the end of class, we'll sometimes even swap a handful with other owners.

For me, the most important criteria is that the treat be easy to grab. (Tried cut-up lunchmeat once, and all the slimy bits just stuck together.) And it needs to be super easy for her to gulp down, otherwise she coughs it back up as we're working or if she gets too excited.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts