Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2020 (finally) coming to a close, I've started thinking about what I want my goals with the dogs' training to be. And my own personal goals as a trainer. Last year, I wanted to A) spend more time training the dogs and B) read more dog training books. Did both! (Fun fact: I bought a planner for the first time this year. Fun fact: I hardly used it since I was at home a good portion of the time and therefore was near my computer calendar. Fun fact: I now wish to burn said planner along with my broken dreams.) That said, here's some rough, S.M.A.R.T., as the cool kids say, ideas that I've started thinking about:

Get Misty's barking at the door vanquished

Submit a Rally Novice video for Fluffy (I have... Admittedly not been working on this like I should.)

Train the dogs to allow me to use a nail grinder

Try a multiple-dog trick!

Try a new system of learning with both of the dogs: essentially, I would begin working in counting the number of repetitions, how well the dogs responded, whether or not I gave a reward, how long the training was, etc.. I already do this somewhat loosely in my head, but I feel like we might be more efficient if I kept an actual record. Not to mention it would give me motivation to get my rear away from the desk and actually training the dogs. To be honest, this is the one that excites and scares me the most--not sure if I can keep up with it, but I'm going to try.

Does anyone else have some training resolutions for the New Year? It might be fun to have a resolution progress thread that we can post to and keep our motivation going!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good idea for a thread!

I want to get a Rally Novice title with Annie this year, and start scent classes. Oh, and submit our tricks for the Advanced trick dog title I have been procrastinating on/too cheap to submit for.

I solemnly swear, 2021 will be the year Annie learns to swim, and she WILL ENJOY IT OR ELSE (Ok, no promises). And if I am talking crazy goal dreams, 2021 will be the year we walk past a squirrel without Annie barking at it lol.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Those sound like awesome resolutions Floofy!

This year I want to get Evie's Rally Intermediate Title,
Work on having her actually always bringing the ball back when playing fetch,
Start Scentwork and Tracking,
and gets her list of commands she knows up to 40 (we are at 27 now)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wonderful idea for a post!

My 2021 dog goals are to complete entry level scent work titles. This should be doable if I can get selected for competition slots, but there are not enough trial slots in my area for everyone who would like to compete.

And for agility, my goal is to compete at trial and at least get a Q or two. I can’t decide if this is a modest goal or wildly unreal

I even have Barn work goals! I would like to do the introduction and then for Violet to have a go at finding rats. Sounds like fun to me, but I’m not clear on whether she will like it or not. If not, then I won’t pursue it any further.

Happy holidays.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd like to continue in obedience (we have the CD), but rely on in-person classes so hope that they are back this spring/summer. I'm working on building up the excitement in agility practice so that trialing won't seem as exciting. Also working with the favorite tug toys . . . goal is to run an agility course with the toys on the floor and not be a distraction. I'd also like to incorporate canine fitness into every day life; I took some courses late 2019, have a lot of equipment, but don't use it nearly enough.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Want to work on rally, and general obedience possibly obtain some titles. I would also like to work towards our ACT1 and ACT2. As well finally obtain our trick dog performer and trick dog performer elite (we know the work, I just SUCK at themes, and props, things like that).

Reactions: FloofyPoodle

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've started working on my goals for the coming year:
1. Doing some training with my Corso, Apple (she is nearly 4, walks nicely and is well mannered, but only knows the basic commands). We have added touch and stand so far.
2. Training with both dogs together.
We've started with one dog being on place while I work with the other dog. Apple is a star at place, Raffi is a little too eager to get off but improving! I'm also trying to teach them that a command preceded by one dog's name only applies to that dog.
3. Getting started on some agility basics with Raffi. We were supposed to start a pre-agility class this past spring, which of course was cancelled. He learned "over" today.
4. I'd love to try something new, whatever I can find in my area. Barnhunt, flyball, nosework? Maybe figure out something we can do via video otherwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts