Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around the time my brother's oldest child was born, their neighbor suffered a tragedy. Their toddler was bitten badly on the face by the family dog, and the dog was euthanized.

As dog enthusiasts we know that this happens frequently. As amateur dog behaviorists we suspect that the dog gave plenty of warning signs, and the signals went unheeded by loving but ill-equipped owners. As dog lovers, we usually come down on the side of the dog: it wasn't the dog's fault, the dog isn't dangerous, and it is a distinct tragedy that the dog paid the ultimate price for its owners' ignorance.

With this as backdrop, here is a highly effective ad for a trainer who is focused on families with dogs.

Her site is not all doom and gloom, but her attention-getting ad is very slick, which makes sense from her bio - a former TV producer/director at Nickelodeon, MTV and VH1 turned family-centric CPDT.

The ad is still settling on me. My hope is that this is the kind of attractive and effective ad that can help raise awareness that if you own a dog, you automatically become a dog trainer and a dog behaviorist. It's up to you to become a good one. In the WaPo article where I learned about this trainer, the author said that one child's behavior around dogs changed just from watching the ad. But I'm a little uneasy whenever someone profits off of fear.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Powerful and sad. Every one of those photos was making me anxious, especially when I imagined how they'd be received by parents on social media: "Awwwwwwww!"

Kids don't know how to act around dogs because the adults in their lives don't know how to act around dogs. :(

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really well done and carries an important message. There's something about it, however, that nags at me. Maybe I watched too many Mad Men episodes where they succeeded in eliciting an emotion for the most cynical of reasons.

·
Premium Member
24,103 Posts
All of those pictures horrify me! I have made comments about what those kinds of pictures are really saying on FB and other media if I see them. Other knowledgeable dog folks have joined me. I get the point of that ad, but there are too many people who are unlikely to watch the whole thing and get the message about family dog behavior and training, which has to be for the humans often even more than the dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts