Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel like once you started trialing, you couldn't stop? It's just so fun to go to dog events and spend time with your dog and other dog people. Maizie will be taking Scent Work classes starting in January, so we're getting in even deeper! :dizzy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm definitely this way about classes. Once I'm in the groove, I want to try everything. Riley and I went to scent work classes earlier this year. He was the "ringer", often finding the hide when the others didn't. We had a blast there and might get back into it next year.

Tonight is our last agility class of the year. We won't know what to do with ourselves for the next couple weeks before things start up again.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
I've got a trick dog test December 28, a Rally Advanced Trial January 27, and another Rally Advanced Trial February 2 and 3. Then it's off to Wisconsin, and Ohio, and Missouri, and Iowa, and Indiana, and... But, addicted? Nah, not me. Ha!!! yes, I am so hooked. The more I trial, the more I want to trial.

I was afraid to tell my husband I plan on driving out of state just to spend two whole minutes in a dog show ring. It sounds just plain crazy. Fortunately, it made sense to him. He reminded me athletes travel halfway around the world to run races that last 10 seconds. My sister understood it, too. The luge event in the Olympics ls under a minute. They both tell me to do what makes me happy, and showing Noelle makes me happy. Even when we NQ, it still makes me happy.

It's so nice to come on PF and meet people who don't just understand the passion, but join in the addiction!

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Not me. I’m way too anxious. I am addicted to reading about everyone’s experiences and cheering your talented dogs on. I’m taking DH to the Houston World Series of Dog Shows this summer. Looking forward to that and to supporting you IRL if your addiction brings you to Houston mid-July:)

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Love reading about y'all's experience in dog sports. The nearest place to train for us would be a 1 hour drive up and 1 hour drive back. Not for me. Luckily Asta is a laid back sorta guy so what training we do is at home. We are coming along with the "find it" command. You addicted folks rock!

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I’m still not comfortable with the actual competition in the ring although I’m getting better with it. I’ve always been panicked about taking tests no matter how well prepared I am. But I do look forward to seeing everyone and the potential to meet up with people you haven’t seen in awhile. The social part is a lot of fun and everyone is so supportive. You get to know people when you sit around all weekend chatting with them.

What I love is the challenge of training. Part of that challenge is training your dog to the level that they will perform in a trial.

Asta’s mom, I travel at least an hour to one of my clubs and I have classmates, and for awhile, teachers who were driving an hour and a half or farther. Teachers at my clubs are volunteers. I sometimes train in a place which is an hour and a half from home. I wish I had a training facility close to home.

Click, that would be wonderful if your husband shows Francis and gets bitten by the showing bug. My DH is very supportive but he doesn’t have the patience to train a dog but he appreciates having a dog that sits calmly to get a leash on.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not me I can't handle the stress. Even tracking events were always way too stressful for me. Love being out there and training tracking, rally etc - but on my own - just dog and me. The moment you add any kind of judging and my nerves just go haywire. That's why I was the ultimate test worker - I had enough worker certificates (which reward you as a track layer, chairperson, general test worker and give you special preference for entering a test - there are usually too man entered not enough spots) to wallpaper my bathroom but I never even used one....

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I am very fortunate to have my training classes on Fridays, but of course also love trials and seeing what we've mastered and spending time with friends. I don't see myself taking on many more sports than obedience, rally and tracking, but I love seeing what all the possibilities are and sharing the accomplishments of all of you how are doing things like scent, freestyle and the like. I do miss agility, but don't think my knees will let me go back to it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Click, if you can get your husband addicted life will be much easier! I tried to get Joanne interested in obedience, but she is not good at all at training a dog, so that was a bust. She hates conformation because our dogs are, in her opinion, the best and should always win! Can we say "sore loser"?

I love dog activities - conformation, agility, obedience, barn hunt, and anything else I can try. I'm not all that good at some of them - I sometimes get lost in the agility ring, I sometimes cannot remember some of the rally signs, and my footwork for obedience leaves a lot to be desired! Still, they are lots of fun for me and my dog.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I’m thinking that Click and I will run into each other at a metro Chicago show some time. There are not many poodles out there so we’ll surely recognize each other.

We made it into the NACSW NW1 trial in Channahon in March, and my teacher suggests that I try for a trial in Wisconsin. Last weekend we barn hunted in Indiana. Just waiting for the BHA to record our latest title in order to apply for the VIP Master certificate. The VCM was my goal that justified the fast pace of trialing over the last year. But I have the nosework bug now, and my boy is a gifted barn hunter, so perhaps a winter break and then pick it up in the spring.

It’s fun to see some of the same people at different venues, mostly seeking activities fun for both dog and handler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
I rewatched these videos and realized if I was going to work with Noelle, I'd have to pretty much be in the center of the ring, directing everything without moving. Noelle is so fast, there's no way I could make it from point A to point B in time. Disability sucks. But, it doesn't have to make dog training impossible. Disability is an opportunity to learn how to be creative, like building a Lego structure even though some of the pieces were lost during shipping. Plan A doesn't work. What about plan B? And just because most people do things in a certain order, doesn't mean that is the only possible way. Dogs are adaptable. We can learn a lot from them on how to adapt, too. We train the dog we have, using the bodies that we have. And if we work hard and stay focused, amazing things can happen.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I've seen an excellent tpoo run in agility whose handler just stood in the middle of the ring and pointed. It can be done. What I found with Lily as she improved was that I could direct her from more distance and layer obstacles between us, but it took a lot of me running with her to get to that point. Lily is super fast, but Javelin is even faster since he is bigger and covers more ground with each stride.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Catherine, that's why I haven't tried agility with Noelle. I just don't think I have the ability to run along with her long enough to train her. I'm glad Rally fits us so well. The only running I have to do is "send over jump, handler passes by," and "fast forward from a sit." It's neither fast nor graceful on my end, but I do the best I can.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Click, I think one of the best parts of this thread is that there are a bunch of lucky poodles whose peeps are so into doing nice fun things with them, no matter what those things are. In my neighborhood there are a bunch of dogs that I have only ever heard, not seen, because nobody even walks them let alone plays a sport with them. It is very sad.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts