Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the newsletter from the Canine Longevity Project this week, they included a link to Dog Songs by Mary Oliver. I couldn't believe that I don't already own a copy! Of course I ran off and picked one up (online).

Here's Mary reading one of her poems. Mia and I still start the day with a morning snuggle, and when Mia was younger, this ritual had the energy Mary captures. One of her Percy poems, read here at 92nd Street Y (it's the first poem), clued me in that she was owned by a poodle.

Any Mary Oliver fans here?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diana - I'm so excited! My copy is arriving tonight, and I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with it. I'm hoping it will earn a vaunted place on my shelf next to Irving Townsend's The Once Again Prince.

I suppose it's in part due to the pandemic that I am this excited about the arrival of a book of poems, but to start my weekend with a warm cuppa and Mary Oliver sounds delightful.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A puppy is a puppy is a puppy.
He's probably in a basket with a bunch of other puppies.
Then he's a little older and he's nothing but a bundle of longing.
He doesn't even understand it.

Then someone picks him up and says "I want this one."

·
Registered
173 Posts
How did I not read this as a kid? Dogs, poems, both together—it’s like it was made for little me. Totally getting a copy! Thanks for mentioning this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts