Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we went for a lovely walk along a lake, but even with frequent stops it was too much for Poppy and I had to carry her the mile and a half back to the car. Fortunately that is still manageable, even with the weight she has gained from being on steroids, but a firm based shoulder bag she could sit in would make it much more comfortable for both of us. I thought of wrapping the base with foam and padding so there are no sharp edges. Does anyone know of a good free pattern? I can probably draft one myself, but a starting point is always useful.

·
Super Moderator
5,267 Posts
Gracie was comfortable in this style for short walks (modelled by my husband):

Just a secondhand baby sling from my nieces. Very soft. I'd kneel on the floor, stretch it open, and she'd hop right in.

But ultimately I shifted over to a lightweight utility wagon with wheels suitable for off-road. I found it much easier on my body, and it permitted us to journey farther.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does look comfy. I have considered a buggy, but while she is happy to walk a sling seems like a less bulky solution. Perhaps I should just put a base into a baby sling - I shall go and look at patterns for those - thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
6,556 Posts
A sling is nice because you can cradle it with your arms sometimes, to take some of the pressure off your shoulder.
oh sling is lovely until that dog seems to gain 40 pounds before the end of the walk

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mom has a backpack for Trixie. Hers isnt particularly ergonomic (the weight rests in the wrong spot, and I would like a waist strap), but is perfect for carrying 12 lb Trixie on and off of GO trains and buses and rushing to catch them without worrying about her nervous little dog in the crowds . It seems potentially better for long distances than a sling, and she stores keys and leash and a water bottle and treats in the pockets. Trixie loves it, it is also her car carrier most days, and has screening on the top and sides to look out.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too true, Twyla - she definitely got heavier as we got nearer to the car! I remember the difference between carrying a tot who had learned to ride her weight on your hip, and one who hung heavy on your arm - not sure I can teach that trick to Poppy at this stage, though!

Thanks for all the good ideas, people. I shall experiment a bit when I get home, and perhaps pick up a suitable second hand baby sling on ebay - they look alot more robust than the puppy ones. I have just been overbid on one that looked ideal, dammit! I think she would prefer a sling to a back pack, and I often use a small rucksack to carry picnic, water, etc when we are out and about - might be tricky to manage both.

·
Super Moderator
5,267 Posts
A used one is a great idea. When I first brought the sling home from my sister's place, I carelessly left it on the floor near the front door, thinking I'd introduce Gracie to it later. But when I went back to get it, there she was, already sitting "in" it (even thought it was just flat on the floor).

Something about baby smell, maybe? She always found it very cozy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought one that looks very solidly made for £10/$12.50 including postage - worth it to try out, I thought. I will let you know how we get on when it arrives. Meanwhile it is pouring with rain here and the dogs don't even want to go out of the door!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
1 - 12 of 12 Posts