Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I am the show chair for the Enchanted Poodle Club. Our shows are next week followed by four days of all-breed shows.

Today, Betty Brown called me to say that her assistant does not want to come because they are afraid of the Central American migrants.

Albuquerque is receiving many of these migrants. The city has decided to use one of the Fairgrounds buildings for temporary shelter for them. Evidently some disgusting person is spreading hate saying that the people coming to the show will be exposed to violence and disease. Migrants have been coming through Albuquerque for weeks now with not a single case of violence or disease. Instead, the people here are contributing supplies and money to help them.
I am in tears because someone is spreading hatred.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Oh Johanna that is so horrible. I hadn’t heard anything about that. I will be attending the show, and am very excited to meet you. I hope that these rumors do not cause anyone not to come as it looks like an amazing cluster and I am very excited to go! I hope that Betty is still planning to come. Also I used to live in Abq 15 years ago (in Rio Rancho) so I am really looking forward to going back.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
This is probably the most unsettled and unsettling periods of my life. Fake news that is really fake is scaring people needlessly and making the likelihood of more violence such as the episodes occurring at mosques, temples and historically black churches appalls me. Even sadder that people are afraid to travel inside the US or to enjoy their hobbies and small business opportunities.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
wow. just wow. on the other hand, i'm not sure i'd want someone so easily panicked dealing with anyone's dogs, especially not any i owned. :bulgy-eyes:

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I feel absolutely nauseated hearing this! Hate has become like a raging epidemic in my city of San Diego lately, not only because of the proximity of the Mexican border, but also hate crimes against the many good people who are Jewish and Muslim here. Synagogues and Mosques are no longer respite places to find peace. They are having to post security guards now! I dread turning on the local news lately..............

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
This is so wrong and so sad. I'm so sorry this ugliness is affecting your show. What a shame.

I have fond memories and some gorgeous jewelry visiting the flea market at the Albuquerque Fairgrounds. I hope the people who attend your show leave with fond memories too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is terrible. It's frustrating and upsetting the level of ignorance going around, and it's leading to dire consequences for everyone simply trying to live their lives. Tbh, this is one of the reasons I decided to get a dog right now (besides really missing having one in my life!). There is something hopeful about it. And the way having a dog enhances connections with your community--we all need that more than ever, imo. In a disaster, it's those connections that can save lives. Anyway, anything positive that brings people together seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Joanna, you’re post upsets me tremendously. I live in a small town on the California coast with a large immigrant community. If they weren’t here our whole town would go bust. Our economy is agricultural and tourism... nobody here fears immigrants, rather it’s the immigrants who feel fear because of the lies and demagoguery of hateful politicians.
I have a sign on my refrigerator that says Like Food? Thank a farmworker.
The folks who are that afraid of immigrants should quit eating, because hardworking brown Latino and Asian immigrant hands produced just about everything they put in their mouth.
I have absolutely no patience for that level of ignorant bigotry. Because I’m bilingual I have many very close friends who are immigrants and neighbors once called me at the height of threatening executive orders emanating from Trump about imminent mass arrests. My humble, sweet, working class neighbors asked me to go out and walk around the block because someone heard a rumor that there was an ICE van out there. One neighbor was celebrating her daughter’s quinceañera with a house full of family and guests. She was terrified. I walked around and there was no van, but that’s the atmosphere of fear that at any point one’s family, here 20 or 25 years, could be torn apart.
Your show will be classier, more fun and successful without the bigots to spoil it.
Let them stay home and sulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Joanna, I hope your show goes well.
Personally our politicians have created this problem. By allowing so many illegal immigrants to enter the country. (Illegals). This creates fear among law abiding citizens and fear creates hate. I hope our politicians will stop playing politics and find a solution. Unfortunately we cannot fix the world, we haven't even fixed ourselves. I also lived in a farming community, unfortunately those immigrants were useful to the farmers however they lived in poor conditions and the areas they lived in had much alcohol and domestic abuse. We need new updated immigration laws and they need to be enforced. I would like to see some of the money it is costing tax payers go to improving school in inner cities and providing interventions to help those in our country who have lived in poverty better their lives. I'd like to see healthcare for those with pre exiting conditions, and mental health issues. I have a friend whose son suffers from mental illness, when he is on his meds you would never know and he works and is productive but when he can't afford them goes off, well its another story and then it takes time to get him stable again. Some of those meds are expensive, like $1000 for 30 days. I can no longer sympathies with all the illegal immigrants until we stop the political games and help our citizens. Id o hope your show isn't impacted and goes off smoothly as planned. Today is National prayer day, lets help another, illegal or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can only go by what the original poster has typed, and there are terms being thrown around which honestly sound more inflammatory than anything else against people who might have a different opinion regarding illegal immigration and the extremely negative effect it is having on our country. For example, what is meant by the term "migrant"? Do you mean people who crossed over the border in large numbers illegally? There are established ways for those seeking assylum to enter the United States. Did they come in that way? Because if not, I dont think it's "hateful" to not be very jazzed about the idea. Also, there is validity to the claim that mass illegal immigration is bringing with it disease. That is not a hateful statement. The camps that migrants are staying in are often undervaccinated, spreading diseases more quickly. And conditions are obviously not sanitary. It's not the people who are "bad" or "dirty" or anything like that. It's the situation they are in which will cause unhealthy conditions. It's not responsible to bring that into our country without proper procedures. I feel I am open to people with opposing political beliefs and I also feel the need at times to chime in because those of us who are more conservative are painted in a very negative "hateful" light inaccurately.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I have no problem what-so-ever with Immigrants coming here legally we need then and they need the US. I do however do not think they should be allowed to come her illegally, and they should be returned to their county. My great grandparents come from Italy and came legally. I do not like my taxes going to house and give medical support to illegal people. We have many legal people here who cannot afford their medications, housing etc.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
StephanieJames..Yes I agree with you..I have no problem with immigrants. I'm 2nd generation born in this country. I have several friends and neighbors who immigrated to this country. I do not agree with masses of immigrants coming in illegally. It is not fair to American citizens, especially those who can't get their needs met. And yes when you have masses come in unvaccinated, poor hygiene..disease will happen. And your right most of the people are more than likely good people but we have laws and they should be followed or change some? This is nothing more than a political game. While there was a time I support Hillary and the Clintons, they caused much of this unrest by not accepting a loss in an election. It just never ends, I'm tired of all the politics. Now back to my dogs.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For example, what is meant by the term "migrant"? Do you mean people who crossed over the border in large numbers illegally? There are established ways for those seeking assylum to enter the United States. Did they come in that way? Because if not, I dont think it's "hateful" to not be very jazzed about the idea. Also, there is validity to the claim that mass illegal immigration is bringing with it disease. That is not a hateful statement. The camps that migrants are staying in are often undervaccinated, spreading diseases more quickly. And conditions are obviously not sanitary. It's not the people who are "bad" or "dirty" or anything like that. It's the situation they are in which will cause unhealthy conditions. It's not responsible to bring that into our country without proper procedures.
"Migrant" refers to people who travel to another place to settle and make a new life for themselves. The people from Central America coming up through Mexico are fleeing starvation and violence in their home countries. They are seeking asylum and almost all of them are actually are going through the process correctly. New Mexico is providing food, clothing, shelter, and some health care to assist them.

Our state was originally settled by Jews from Spain who were fleeing the Inquisition, so maybe we have a kinder attitude toward immigrants than people in other parts of the country. One reason I was glad to return here after many years of living in other parts of the country and the world is that there is a culture here of kindness. The three major cultures here are Indian, Spanish, and Anglo and we get along together amazingly well.
It appears to me that the people who are opposing these migrants are people in areas of the country who do not have many immigrants and who fear people who are different. Too bad - they miss a wonderful opportunity to get to know some really nice people.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Johanna,
Your language and implications in what you have written are a perfect example of what I was trying to point out. Trying to paint any conservative who is in favor of stricter immigration laws and who is against mass illegal immigration as not "kind" or somehow "ignorant" is a real problem for me. Please point out my lack of kindness in my differing political views? Please point out my "ignorance" (might be hard to do because you don't know me or my background, nor do I feel like I or anyone needs to explain details about their backgrounds to be respected). Let's leave it that, no, I'm not an uneducated hick who hates brown people. But all of the information I have shared still stands and further, it should be a perfectly acceptable view that mass illegal immigration and assylum seeking hurts the United States of America.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Johanna I think it's wonderful that your community is coming together to try to help those in need. Some people are irrational and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't let the negativity get you down.

Immigration can certainly have negative effects on a country's economy, but it can also have positive effects. I think what upsets me is when I see people putting their economic beliefs before their own sense of humanity. And there has certainly been a lot of that going around. I think it's a very difficult situation for finding a humane solution that will protect the economy. Yes there are legal routes for entry and asylum, but those are near impossible for people to access in the current system. So while I'd normally agree, I find it inhumane to use that argument.

I would also say that where I come from, the word "illegals" is akin to hate speech, though I will assume it wasn't intended to have that connotation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We are almost everyone one of us immigrants or children of immigrants from somewhere, sometime. I don't understand, are we afraid of ourselves?
As someone who is part native, half Mexican (my father immigrated to the US), and can also trace my mom's family here as far back as the 1600's...the hypocrisy and prejudice continue to astound me.

Moreover, it's also incredibly disconcerting that people truly believe their own benefits/privileges are being hijacked by immigrants.
Our nation would quickly deteriorate without international immigration - especially in an economic sense. The birth rate simply isn't sufficient to continue economic growth.

People must educate themselves. We cannot keep spreading fear and hateful rhetoric. All we have to do is look back at WWII to see the results of hate/fear induced extreme nationalism.

Johanna - I hope everything goes well with your show and perhaps there will be a positive to side to everything and the migrant population may benefit from those attending the show - perhaps through donations or other assistance offered. Good luck and many of us are cheering you on for standing strong in the face of all this.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I would also say that where I come from, the word "illegals" is akin to hate speech, though I will assume it wasn't intended to have that connotation.
I am quite sure that wasn't the intention, but I agree that it should not be used. "Migrant" and "undocumented person" are acceptable terms.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are not illegal aliens and they are not undocumented. These are asylum seekers. They are decent people trying to escape situations that are threatening their lives. If your life and/or the lives of your loved ones were in danger would you not try to flee?
For heaven sakes, have some compassion!
Thanks to those of you who have offered kindness.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.