Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Standard, Flash, is very hard on his feet! He's always running and leaping with little regard for the hard surfaces he's playing on.
I use Protecta Pad lotion on his pads, which helps, but I'm thinking he may need a set of dog shoes for protection. This will be even more of an issue during our hot Texas summers.
Has anyone used shoes for their dogs? Any recommendations?

All the booties at petco and petsmart have fabric soles, I'm sure he'd wear through them in no time. So I need something with a rubber or leather sole. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm not aware of any dog shoes that come with rubber or leather soles, but then I haven't looked super closely at a lot of them. I would think that he shouldn't wear the shoes all that often only when say out for a walk or run on concrete?? I hear ya about the summer time, those little toes can get burned and blistered when the sun heats up roads and sidewalks.

What types of hard suffaces is he playing on and how often would be my question. Also is he cutting up his feet or are his paw pads just rough? Unless he's really doing damage or likely to he probably doesn't need shoes except to protect from burns. Then again walking him in grass instead of on roads will do the same thing for free.

The major issue I can see with using shoes like what you are looking for instead of the ones with the fabric soles is that dogs sweat through their paw pads to loose excess heat. If you close the foot up with a leather or rubber soled shoe it's not going to breath. Not so much of a problem for humans but dogs are different, they aren't people, so their body's work differently. Dogs feet aren't as sensative as your feet either so thats something to keep in mind. Dogs are made to go barefoot :) lol

I'd go with the fabric soles myself is what I'm getting at and use them only when needed mostly to prevent scalding his feet in the summer time or freezing them in the winter - though in Tx it might not get that cold. Doesn't usually here in Fla.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point! I had forgotten that dogs sweat through their feet. Silly me!
We live in a quiet little subdivision with very little traffic (and cars have to pass a stop sign before coming to our house, so they're always going pretty slow. Flash typically plays football in our front yard and the street in front of our house. I think it's the street that's tearing his feet up. They aren't cut or even scraped, but his two front pads look like he's been standing on a belt sander. They have two neat little raw circles worn into them- not bleeding, but it looks painful nonetheless.

I think just using the pad lotion on his paws is helping with the road rash, but I do still worry about the heat. Sometimes it gets hot enough to make my feet burn through the soles of my shoes! (We skip the walk on those days)

Thanks for the advice, I think I need to do a bit more research. I'll start by asking my vet, maybe he'll have a good idea. He must see sore feet all the time in summer.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
You might also check with a greyhound rescue organization if you have one in your area. Greyhounds come down hard when they get zooming, so foot injuries are pretty common. The greyhound owners I've known got to be expert at keeping their pups' feet intact.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have a pair of LuLu Pink ones I got from Walmart last year. I was scared to walk my dogs due to broken glass on the street careless people threw out, and plus it kept them from tracking as much water/mud into the house on icky days. Now when you put them on the dog for the first time, you may want to film it...they walk so funny, LOL!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My Standard, Flash, is very hard on his feet! He's always running and leaping with little regard for the hard surfaces he's playing on.
I use Protecta Pad lotion on his pads, which helps, but I'm thinking he may need a set of dog shoes for protection. This will be even more of an issue during our hot Texas summers.
Has anyone used shoes for their dogs? Any recommendations?

All the booties at petco and petsmart have fabric soles, I'm sure he'd wear through them in no time. So I need something with a rubber or leather sole. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Ruff Wear makes great products, very sturdy equipment.

They have different shoes for different environments. i.e. street walking, trails
The soles on the trail shoes are very tough.
http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_boots

1 - 6 of 6 Posts