Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photography is a new hobby I’ve picked up earlier this year. I’ve always loved illustrations but never ventured deep with photography until a friend said I really should be using that Nikon D3 my dad gave me a few years ago that is just collecting dust. I finally learned to shoot on manual and took a portrait photography class. It is nice to capture a slice of time of my favorite subject, dogs of course.
Some of my favorite dog photographers are William Wegman, Tim Flach, or more recent photographers such as Christian Vieler or theDogist. I’ve had a lot of fun photographing other people’s dogs at events and I really love photographing my dogs.

Poodle doodle romps:

Photos of my dogs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
3,364 Posts
Snow!!! I am blown away! Those are FABULOUS!!! Oh heart be still, my girl got serious skills!!!

You've really mastered the art of lighting, and focusing the subject while the background fades out. Love it. And the high speed shots to catch the motion, wow! Did you take a class, or get a top notch camera and use the manual or learn online? I'd love to know. Congratulations on your find work.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
beautiful shots, snow. special kudos re the shots of dogs in motion. not easy to do a good capture in manual mode. but i have to admit my favorite is of your pom riding your pyr. it has emotional impact; looks like they really get along well.

Reactions: snow0160

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you take a class, or get a top notch camera and use the manual or learn online?

The good old fashioned book and some YouTube videos. Same way I learned how to use a sewing machine. It took lots of trial and error. I’m learning to use strobes in portrait photography class. The most important investment has been the lenses. My favorite are prime lenses; sharp, fast, and light.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
beautiful shots, snow. special kudos re the shots of dogs in motion. not easy to do a good capture in manual mode

Thank you ! Shots in motion are pretty easy to do in manual as long as you have your shutterspeed correct and read the histogram. The bokeh is hard for action shots.

Here are some more photos.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you dusted off the camera! The world needs great dog pictures. I bought Sam Gasteel’s “Dogs Underwater” for a first time dog owner who loved diving.

I also have the Casteel book! He uses a canon 1dx for the fast FPS and a Ikelite along for underwater housing. That is a financial investment.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Very impressive photography. They are unique and artistic. What an accomplished photographer you are. Thanks for sharing those great pics.

Reactions: snow0160

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
I felt like your white Pom picture was a homage to the late “Chef Francis”, of Cooking with Dog, the sequel! CUTE!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I felt like your white Pom picture was a homage to the late “Chef Francis”, of Cooking with Dog, the sequel! CUTE!!

I love Chef Francis! So sad he isn’t around anymore. I have no idea how they do those videos. Must be an intense amount of work. I made this video a few months ago and had a lot of fun!!!

https://youtu.be/VZ8Jp-UA718

1 - 15 of 15 Posts