Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
No dog parks for us, either. Anyway, Neely is an intact male and the sign forbids unaltered males.

However, once a week I need to work out of town and would be away from home for about 11 hours and don't want to crate him that long. So I take him to my veterinarian's doggie day care, which is very well supervised. He has some doggie friends and human admirers. He's always excited to go, and I'm OK with that, since it's the same entrance as when we need vet care. The staff always fusses over him.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your latest experience with the other dogs. I had a golden mix I took to a dog park... one time. My dad was with me, and we ate lunch back at the picnic tables. My girl was spayed, but a male (and of all dogs, a) poodle came over and started harassing Millie. He wouldn't leave her alone, kept putting his head under her belly and in result kept lifting up her back end. She was polite and just kept walking away, but he kept after her. I finally got up and made him leave. When we finished lunch, we headed across the park to the lake so Millie could swim a bit. We weren't 10 feet from the tables when this Poodle came running at her. He nipped at her, rammed into her the entire walk to the lake. When we got there he simply still would not leave her alone. My dad was doing his best to shoo him away, yelling at him, etc. Do you think there was an owner coming to get their dog? Finally I aimed my voice at a group of people standing there drinking and talking, "Would whoever belongs to this poodle please. Come. Get. Him!?!?!" A man came slowly walking over with leash in hand, gave me the dirtiest look I've probably ever seen and silently put the leash on his dog. He returned to the group and undoubtedly talked about how mean my dad and I were. Never went back to a dog park. It's not the dogs so much, as the owners who think it is their own time to be away from their dog. Stupid people.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our local dog park has been a real blessing for our very timid Spoo. He loves other dogs when he's not in his home turf but very skittish around people. Over time he has even let some children and a couple of adults pet him. He's a 16 mos old, muscular, fast parti who loves to run with the many hunting dogs who use the park.

One day there was a Saint Bernard, a Newfoundland, and a Great Dane -- all about a year old -- in addition to the usual mix and doing well without aggression with the other dogs.

Then someone brought in an intact Akita who was barking and growling through the fence before he even got in the park. Intact males are not allowed in the park. After terrorizing the other dogs, he got into a full fledged dog fight with the Great Dane. The Dane's owner tried to separate them and even picked up his dog before the Akita owner came over. The Akita and owner stomped off, saying the Dane had bitten him (actually probably was his own dog) and it was quite awhile before peace reigned. I felt bad for the Dane's owner, whose dog really was a gentle dog.

I feel protective of the dog park. One of my friends was instrumental in getting it started, and most people do well with their dogs. But I like the idea of threatening to call the police the next time there's an aggressive dog.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
It's not 'their' dogs and it's not 'your' dogs. People that blame the dogs or other owners should stay out of dog parks. We don't want you there.

On your first visit to the dog park, the onus is on YOU to see that everything goes smoothly. Not on us and not on our dogs.

If it doesn't go smoothly, you have only YOURSELF to blame.

Quit avoiding responsibility and start assuming it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It's not 'their' dogs and it's not 'your' dogs. People that blame the dogs or other owners should stay out of dog parks. We don't want you there.

On your first visit to the dog park, the onus is on YOU to see that everything goes smoothly. Not on us and not on our dogs.

Whooooa, Countryboy. Whenever I see a new person come in, I get full data on their dog. I try to have them and their dog have a good experience. Just the way a wonderful man did for me and Maizie when we first visited the dog park. I give the newbies plenty of tips. Most dogs are a little nervous, and I can work with that. If the dog appears dangerous in any way, I either leave with my dogs immediately or confront the person about leaving, but only if others are having a bad experience as well and will back me up. It is up to EVERYONE at the dog park to make things go smoothly! It really takes a village, imho.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

That's the point! Take responsibility for your own dog.

One person (new or otherwise) can't take responsibility for a park full of dogs. That's not realistic. Everyone must ensure their own dog is behaving appropriately.

If someone's dog is growling before it even enters the park, or spinning out of control before the leash comes off, there's going to be trouble. If you view dogpark time as an opportunity to check out completely while your dog mounts everyone in sight, there's going to be trouble. If you adopt a "We don't want you here!" attitude towards a newcomer who might need a little help getting themselves and their dog acclimated, or who hasn't yet learned all the unspoken rules, there's going to be trouble.

P.S. Greetings from a fellow Canadian!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Country boy, I'm going to assume you were considering the intact Akita owner irresponsible here and not those of us already in the park.
Clearly posted rules here include no intact males, no females in heat, no dogs under 4 mos. and a warning that if your dog is reactive or behaving aggressively before you open the inner gate, leave and come back when the dog is under better control.
I agree that each owner is responsible for their own dog. But at our park at least, most of us enjoy watching the other dogs in addition to our own and do not want any people or dogs to get hurt.

·
Premium Member
22,147 Posts
I read Frank's comment as more generalized than pointing towards specific folks here. The bottom line is dog parks have to have attentive owners, not people who have checked out on their dogs.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I like rescue dogs. But rescue dogs, or any other new to you dog have no place in a dog park until you have tested them with a bunch of dogs in other settings./QUOTE]

I totally agree. Or if someone takes them to a dog park they need to be totally in control of them and remove them when if there are problems.

PS- interesting, .... an Akita is the only dog that has ever attacked my Spoo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dog Park

I took my dog several times to a local dog park. It sure didn't look like the lovely ones in this post. Also, I was warned by someone (I forget, vet, groomer?) that two dogs had been killed by other dogs at the park. One was inside the park, one was being carried by its owner to their car!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I took my dog several times to a local dog park. It sure didn't look like the lovely ones in this post. Also, I was warned by someone (I forget, vet, groomer?) that two dogs had been killed by other dogs at the park. One was inside the park, one was being carried by its owner to their car!
My goodness!! They should shut it down. That's awful.

A leashed dachshund was killed in the parking lot of one of our beaches this summer. Happened lightning-fast. A man was there with his young daughter and removed his dog's muzzle as they were loading up to go home. That's all it took. Split-second and his dog was ON the dachshund. The dachshund later died at the vet's office.

Making the whole thing worse, the dachshund's owner was in shock and assumed her dog would be okay, so she didn't get any of the other owner's contact information. As far as I know, despite the help of local news outlets, he was never tracked down (nor did he come forward).

·
Registered
29 Posts
How horrible! Our dogs depend on us to keep them safe yet would give their lives protecting us. Sometimes it brings tears to my eyes. I try so hard never to put mine in a position where they could get hurt-- but sometimes it only takes a second of inattention or less than good judgment. I guess basically I'm afraid of big dogs, especially aggressive breeds. One of my husband's coworkers had an Akita that killed and ate their neighbor's poodle.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Whooooa, Countryboy. Whenever I see a new person come in, I get full data on their dog. I try to have them and their dog have a good experience. Just the way a wonderful man did for me and Maizie when we first visited the dog park. I give the newbies plenty of tips. Most dogs are a little nervous, and I can work with that.
Me too. I've been that 'wonderful man' on many occasions. Not only that, I watch other people's dogs that look to be getting out of hand and I will intervene. *Tonka doesn't need non-stop observation.*

I've taken tiny, new muffins from cowering between my legs to blazing out ahead of the pack... in a couple of visits. I love that!

But then I'm a crusty ol' SOB who knows dogs... and the park. ;)

Please don't blame the park. Instead, think about what YOU would do differently next time.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I just think that even first time goers to a dog park, can be very responsible dog owners there. When I went, Millie was right beside us as we ate lunch, she didn’t wander off. It was not my fault that this dog came and started bothering her. So how can you blame an annex who does their due diligence, or the dog that won’t leave its owners side? I don’t get it. No matter how well the owner and dog behave, it doesn’t prevent another dog, whose owner isn’t watching, to harass the other one. So yes,I blame the other owner. He had no clue until I shouted out for the owner. That’s why I don’t go to dog parks, because of the other owners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
That's a couple of times someone's mentioned eating lunch in a dog park. Which strikes me as somewhat odd.

We regulars love to see people bringing food into our park. We chuckle as they figure out why it's against our rules... as they're mobbed by dogs.

Food and toys are not allowed. They introduce a whole new, potentially dangerous, variable to the mix of dogs and owners.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The dachshund later died at the vet's office. Making the whole thing worse, the dachshund's owner was in shock and assumed her dog would be okay, so she didn't get any of the other owner's contact information. As far as I know, despite the help of local news outlets, he was never tracked down (nor did he come forward).
That is just heartbreaking :'(

Me too. I've been that 'wonderful man' on many occasions. Not only that, I watch other people's dogs that look to be getting out of hand and I will intervene. *Tonka doesn't need non-stop observation.*

I've taken tiny, new muffins from cowering between my legs to blazing out ahead of the pack... in a couple of visits. I love that!

But then I'm a crusty ol' SOB who knows dogs... and the park. ;)
Countryboy, I can imagine you are like the regulars at my dog park. It is a nice feeling to help other dogs feel comfortable. Good for you.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Shaking my head in puzzlement about the food! Food, whether for people or for treats, etc will attract dogs.

If you are busy paying attention to food, and trying to chase dogs away that are attracted to it, you are not paying close attention to what your dog is doing, and what every dog in the park is doing.

Paying close attention to all of the activity, to dog body language of your dog and all of the other dogs, to humans who are not paying attention, etc. is so important. That way you can be warned early if there is any potential for problems in the dog park. And also you can watch for other dogs and owners that you Would like your dog to be around.

If you just want to go to a park to eat lunch with your dog next to you, go to a regular park and have your dog on a leash. Don't go to dog park where the purpose is for dogs to get exercise and run and play off-leash.

Bravo for those looking to help the newbies to the park. I too always try to spend a few minutes with them, maybe walk a lap around the park with them, and point out friendly dogs and owners, as well as if there is a dog there to watch closely for any potential problem.

Getting to know the other owners is so helpful too. Friends always pitch in to help each other.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
It’s funny that you think food is so bad at a dog park. The most popular one, and the one we went to, has picnic tables at the far back against the fence, under a pavilion. So yes, food was allowed. Our food did not attract one dog, as the play area was away from us. Millie attracted the poodle... he never even looked at us or our food. Lots of people eat lunch there. The park is huge, grassy, trees, a lake... plenty of places to play not along the fence line where the cars are parked.

It was just a bad experience, because of one dog and the owner who didn’t take responsibility. Like I said, most of the other owners were standing in a large group by the lake with not one of them watching their dogs. They had beer, wine and who knows what else. My dad and I both felt like the most responsible ones there. With Millie never having been to a dog park we stayed with her, and her us. (Didn’t have to coax her, she wasn’t impressed with all the mayhem). So go ahead and say I was irresponsible, but I know the truth, and that’s all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts