Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
really i love our dog parks- they are fenced in- we even got a new small dog temporary area which if empty i can let jackson off.

Now jackson is my 'trouble child'\ he has a history of bad luck, abuse, 3 owners (in 1 year) and over 1 year of his life at the pound. He is to the point now that he can happily come to the park (while the other two galavant around politely) and stays on leash the entire time. He walks in a heel position when we're near other dogs with lots of treats (kibble hidden in my pocket- usually no one else including my dogs notice they are there). really he's great and on the whole ignores all the other dogs very well. So we're alking through the part by the main gate and he's healing- my other two are up ahead a bit- he's getting a treat we're walking (not stopping) and BAM i'm hit from behind wTF it's wet and it's slobbery and it's a HUGE lab puppy- BAM i'm hit again- dog is trying to climb up and down and around me- lands on jackson a few times (who curls a lip looks at me "MOM SAVE ME" i've got my two hands keeping ahold of jackson- so i'm using my leg to push the dog off me- and off me and off me and off my dog and off me and off my dog (the lady is 1/2 way across the park calling) and off me and off me and off me- how many times you ask? 10 10 times that huge happy pup tries to climb up and around and jump on me or my dog- I tried holding a treat out to the side thinking he'd stop and follow the treat and keep jackson on the other side (Who's just quietly standing there going MOOOOOOOMMMM save me!!!)

and what happens? She starts screaming "STOP KICKING MY DOG OMG SHE"S KICKING MY DOG"

ummmm no i'm not lady- i'm using my leg to push your dog OFF of me- come get your bloody DOG! she finally grabs her dog screams at me some more... and stalks off leaving the park... yes uh huh completley my fault. I mean are my dogs perfect? nope- can kiah be a bit obnoxious someitmes? yeah- but she's got a reliable recall... nd is polite on the whole... this dog had NO manners and was HUGE (A good 50 pounds of slobberying lab love)

This of course is after my friday. What happened friday? Well i got bit. Due to someone not listening. Was out at the barn- rode and did the rounds to two other facilities to check on the broodmare and my guy who's on pasture rest. Help someone catch their loose arab (JEep wrangling- should be a commercial) and head home. OH two loose dogs on my block corner- a JRT and a shep x.

SO hop out of the jeep grab two leashes (i always have 3 in the back) and start talking to the dogs- the JRT starts walking up to me tail waggin- fairly calm looking... then goes BOOM Full aleart screaming at something behind me. I stand up back off and look. Oh someone turned the corner walking her two dogs. I let her know they aren't mine but i think i've got them and i'll call animal control if i can't get them. They have tags nd i recognize them from the area. But please your dogs are making them fairly agressive could you turn and walk your dogs in the other direction so i can catch these guys. You'd theink the response of "OK " would mean she was going the other way RIGHT???? sO I GET back down near the dogs- get the JRT back over by me- petting him all's good he's watching me nothing else- just about to get the leash his head nd BAM he snarls snaps grabs my jacket (Not me) lets go backs up and starts screaming- i turn around and who's 10 feet behind me? Why the lady with the two dogs. . . . (So it goes like this Fence/corner area- with the dogs, ME and the lady with two dogs about 10 feet behind me... FRACK ok PLEASE Turn and go the other direction. Please. These dogs are upset and i don't want them coming after YOUR dogs... NO NO I'ts ok i know what i'm doing. SO how is she going to keep going on her walk? Why by going around the block- which means coming past me- past the dogs so she can turn the corner. PIcture me muttering swearing and rolling my eyes at the lady who's making this a mess. Thankfully she gets past me no one gets bit- i'm pretty sure these dogs are contemplating going after her dogs- when the owner comes running up and the dogs instead turn and go towards him. . .

UGH

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
People are psycho x_x There's certain people that come into the salon just to talk to us about how cute their dogs are. I'm now to the point where I'll nod and smile and walk to the back to get my work done. I really don't have time to hear about how cute you think your dog is or their life story.

I'm sorry that happened to you :c

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
OMG that lab was so rude! I HATE rude labs. I would have given that woman a piece of my mind! Bringing some badly mannered, slobbery monster out and getting offended when someone doesn't want it crawling all over them. :rolffleyes: Ughh... I'm sorry you had to deal with that, especially with Jackson there as well. It's generally known that it's rude to let your dog jump all over someone like that, especially if it's a HUGE dog like a lab! What was that lady thinking?!?

My dog park is thankfully tame... we get the occasional aggressive/way too rough dog, but they're rushed out pretty quickly. Everybody kind of gives that dog/their owner the evil eye, keeps their dogs away from them, etc until they leave. Some stupid owners, but mostly well-meaning, and embarrassed enough to not let their dog hump excessively or jump on people.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this isn't my favorite park- we normally go to the unfenced one just out of town- long wlking trails and access to the river. it's fabulous becuase you don't meet up with a tonn of dogs. This one is a big square with a hill in the middle and a huge pond (now fenced off- because the water has dangerous levels of bacteria- but there's a gate and people open it and take their dogs in there anyway (Hence this dog being wet)

like ugh- usually most are pretty good at this park- but there's always that one dog/day- not a big deal- but it was like aweful owner after aweful owner... we are counting the days down to warm enough weather that it's safe to go to the other park (the river still has ice on it)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I can relate - I have my preferred park.

One of my recent visits there was an owner being pulled by his pit and then 10 minutes later he was off the leash attacking the dogs. It took the owner a while to catch his dog and it was intense until he did.

That's why I always worry about dogs that are fearful or unpredictable, you never know what can trigger a dog in that frame of mind and the owners that cannot handle them should not have them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
SERIOUSLY! People really are gigantic idiots!!! Ive had similar encounters at the dog park. I WILL knee a dog when it jumps on me. My dog never jumps on anyone and its a common courtesy to train your dog to not jump on others. Call me crazy but i dont want a bunch of muddy pawprints on me unless they are from my dog or a dog is invuted to jump on me. I hate having crazy unruly monsters at the dog park! If your dog is a puppy try having him learn his commands BEFORE unleashing him into a park that is huge!!!
The woman on her walk was an idiot too....i mean seriously what is wrong with people lol.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
like ugh- usually most are pretty good at this park- but there's always that one dog/day- not a big deal- but it was like aweful owner after aweful owner... we are counting the days down to warm enough weather that it's safe to go to the other park (the river still has ice on it)
I agree - BTW - It's 85 today so the warm weather is coming:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have yet to take Teddy to a dog park and I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother. As long as he can meet leashed dogs on our walks in the city, and play in the enclosure in the back yard with the poodle from across the street, I think he and I can both live without the dog park terrorists.

I had to smile as a co-worker told me about her neighbors who have "what do they call those poodle lab crosses? Designer dogs?" I said, "I call them mutts". I think she was a little offended. Oh well. I tells it like it is.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't go to dog parks for this very reason. I don't necessarily see the point of strange dogs running around together like hooligans. We are lucky though because in Boulder we have so many hiking trails where the dogs can be off leash.

Even this is not without its problems, however. About a month ago, we encountered a group of 4 dogs (more than you can legally have off leash). They came running up to Delilah like they wanted to play the chase game. Instead, it instantly turned nasty. They ran her into a fence and knocked her down pinning her up against the wire. Once down, they really went to town.

Delilah was screaming, the other owners were yelling and hitting their dogs. I just stood there in horror and disbelief....thoughts of ruined show coat, damaged temperament or worse running through my head!!! The owners got the offenders off and immediately took off saying over their shoulder, "Hope she's OK!" (I'm sure they were seeing $$$ in their heads). :mad2::mad2::mad2:

In the end, Delilah was OK and her coat was not badly damaged. She seems to have weathered the incident well and does not seem fearful. I felt like a fool because I was so cavalier about dogs we met on the trail. Now, if we come up on a group of dog, I stop and put her into heal position until they pass. No more playing with strange dogs!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah don't normal dogs take a while before accepting a newbie into the pack in order to play and make nice? Until then it's posturing and bidding for postion in the pack. I'm always worried something scary would happen and I would be too afraid of being bitten to do anything about it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
See the beauty of our park is, it's huge - not a big difference in going to the state park on the trails accept they dont allow it during summer:rolffleyes: - but when I see a pack or 6 to 8 dogs we go in another direction, I would have been horrified if someone had my dogs down like that..:scared: I am glad she was OK.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Today we met an older Pekingese who greeted Teddy in a friendly way but then growled and snapped when Teddy got too rambunctious. His owner was horrified and started apologizing, but I told her it was okay. Teddy needs to learn where the boundaries are. He's so quick that he jumps out of the way at the first sign of trouble, and I would never let that situation develop with a much larger dog, but I want him to learn that not all dogs want to play with him as badly as he wants to play with them.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Some people and their dogs are both idiots!! I'm glad that your ok though. Dog parks can be a lot of fun for everyone but there are times when you really wish that someone would pay more attention.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Man thats so stupid! I'm sorry :(

We have an awesome fenced dog park close by, but haven't gone yet because

1.) I don't think our recall is up to scratch around too much distraction and
2.) My dog is far too playful. He's never been agressive, and he's been socalised through playdates with our extended families dogs from a young age, but I don't think he's learned to say 'hi, how are you? wanna play?' yet...he just assumes they will. It could lead to some trouble.

So obedience classes first. Then runs at the dog park.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this park is a decent size. My two aussies are fabulous will get along with anyone- sometimes if bodi gets into a dog who does a lot of posturing he'll get a lil huffy- but mostly he just runs him away from me then sticks close (for once). Jackson never goes off leash- (unless the small dog area is empty)

do i take all dogs there? no- Bernie loved it. He was great at the park. again he's great with most dogs. i think there's often people who take dogs who SHOULDN"T be at the park yet- and i have no issues telling them so :) They get cranky- but i don't care- usually if you do it near a group of people the others who's dogs have been rolled over a few times will chim in to at least leash the dog. The park has rules- and i have no issues calling the city to inforce them.

Carol- How horrid :( I had a friend with a similar incident- she was at one of the river ones- not fenced solid. Her dog got chased right out of the park. Took us all 3 days to locate her several miles away.

What i hate is that all it takes is a few people to possibly RUIN something that is SO usefull for those of us who use it well. I say with confidence 90% of the people i run into at the park are GREAT. it's that bloody 10%

1 - 15 of 15 Posts