Poodle Forum banner

Dog napping is on the rise...

1068 21
Today's WaPo has an article. Here's the basics:
:...a crime that appears to be on the rise across the nation: dognapping. Police generally don’t maintain statistics that separate stolen pets from other thefts, but the latest numbers available from an American Kennel Club affiliate that registers animals show dognappings increased 30 percent in the third quarter of 2022 over the same period the previous year.
While animal shelters are overflowing with dogs to adopt, experts say brisk demand for and short supply of pure breeds and designer pooches like pomskies, shihpoos and maltipoos is creating a lucrative resale market where stolen dogs can fetch thousands."

This may be another good reason not to let your dog outside alone.

[One of my neighbors saw a coyote on our block at 8 PM the other night. That's another reason.
No more solo trips into the backyard for that 10 PM bedtime pee.]
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Phoebe Duck, TKI. Frannie Jane pitt mix
879 Posts
DH is worried about this. The area we live in is heavy with pitts and doodles. An intact female poodle would be a big money maker, sad to say. I'm planning on getting Phoebe fixed when she's old enough, but that won't be obvious to outsiders and she'll still be at risk. Yet another reason why she's never allowed outside without me.

· Administrator
15,786 Posts
How terrible. :( I’d rather hoped I’d click on this thread and find a funny photo of Normie napping somewhere cozy.

Here’s a link to the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/12/maryland-yorkie-dognapped-rescue-team/

It’s behind a paywall, so I can’t read it, but one of my fears is a home or car break-in, which results in Peggy running away in a panic through a broken window or open door. We have a far higher rate of property crime here than the national average.

· Registered
2,148 Posts
The only dog I’ve been worried about being stolen was Jack, a bull terrier. When workers would come to our house, they would ask weird questions like where does he stay when you’re not home and does he like to play outside by himself (mind you we had 3 other dogs at the time as well). He was also neutered. 🤷‍♀️ I was young when we got him, so the first couple times I answered innocently with the truth. After I thought about it though and discussed with my husband, my response became “why, are you planning to steal him?!” With a haha (but we all know it’s not really haha) and a straight face. If they kept it up, I would just say “what a weird thing to ask.” I seriously had that question asked at least a dozen times throughout his 10 years.

ETA pictures of my Stink.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog

Head Felidae Dog Dog breed Carnivore

· Registered
564 Posts
I was always concerned about our Malamute. She was spayed but, as @PhoebeDuck said, that isn't obvious on a female dog. People commented on her EVERYWHERE we went. Some would ask if I was planning to breed her, they wanted to know her breed and if it's a RARE breed, one guy was very interested because he thought she was part wolf. I always made a point to say she was spayed. I do worry a bit about Jasper. There are a lot of Doodles here too.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have become increasingly worried about this. Everyone comments on our dog... everyone. I have been shocked by how many people ask how much it costs to groom him. I tell them it would be expensive if I didn't do it myself. Maybe it will deter a would-be thief but I think someone said it right up above: it's not about the dog as pet, but rather the breeding.

So many people ask if he's neutered. Then they can see he's not and they ask me if I'm going to neuter him. I always say yes, when he's old enough. Sometimes they say "You need to breed him." and lately I've been asking them "What would I do with a puppy?! I don't need another puppy."

You would not believe the number of people who shamelessly ask how much he cost. Some people lean in conspiratorially as if we're old school friends and I'll let them in on the secret. Others just ask straight out, "How much is he?"

As an example, two weeks ago I was walking to the park early in the morning. An employee had just opened a neighborhood grocery store and he stood out drinking coffee. As we walked by, he asked me without first saying anything else "How much?"
Me: Hunh?
Him: How much is your dog?
Me: How much did I pay for him?
Him: Yes. How much?
Me: Too much. (This is the coy answer I'd decided on, even though I don't think it was too much at all)
Him: How much? Twenty thousand?
Me: Twenty thousand?! It's a dog.
Him: Eighteen?
Me: Uch. Let's say a thousand.
Him: That's not much. You said it was expensive.
Me: You can get a dog for free at the SPCA. A thousand is plenty.
Him: [unintelligible because I walked away in frustration]

I don't know why I engaged him but I did. It's a character flaw of mine.

Anyway, now I'll tell people "We got him from a friend," which is true.

If I'm feeling spicy, instead I think I'll ask right back "How big is your penis?" And then into their shocked faces, I can say "Oh! I thought we were asking personal questions that are none of each other's business!"

· Registered
2,909 Posts
Huge fear with Annie.

When I was a kid, we'd tie the dog outside to grab something from a store. Now? I can't imagine ever doing it.

Annie gets so many comments when I walk her somewhere new. I get people leaning out of cars to comment on how beautiful she is, how nicely she walks on leash, etc, etc. Trixie there isn't a chance of anyone catching her, she is so skittish even with people she has known casually for years, but Annie is more outgoing.

I know of people who would keep a dog if there weren't tags on it, would never dream of checking for a microchip. Annie wears a collar with ID 100% of the time because of that.

I've been considering buying her a medical alert tag. If someone took her, she'd decline and get sick so quickly. A medical alert tag for Addison's might help encourage people to give her back, or at least help them know what was wrong until I could be contacted.

· Registered
Phoebe Duck, TKI. Frannie Jane pitt mix
879 Posts
Huge fear with Annie.

When I was a kid, we'd tie the dog outside to grab something from a store. Now? I can't imagine ever doing it.
When I worked in the pharmacy in Houston, we had an elderly couple park out front while they went in for their prescription. Car was stolen with their dog inside. The car was recovered a few days later, but the dog was still missing. I'm not sure if they ever did find the pooch. With Phoebe, there is no way I would ever leave her in the car without someone else there with her.

· Registered
2,148 Posts
Huge fear with Annie.

Annie gets so many comments when I walk her somewhere new. I get people leaning out of cars to comment on how beautiful she is, how nicely she walks on leash, etc, etc. Trixie there isn't a chance of anyone catching her, she is so skittish even with people she has known casually for years, but Annie is more outgoing.
Phoebe is like Trixie. Someone would have to catch her to take her out of my backyard, and there’s no way unless they dart her with sedative that a stranger is getting close enough to touch her, much less grab her or her collar, so I don’t worry about her there. We also have wood fencing and not chain link, which helps because they’re not on display if they’re outside alone for a short while.

· Registered
Aliana
209 Posts
I’ve had people ask where I live after commenting “Beautiful dog.” She is always with me, and only waits in the car for brief stops. A female red poodle would be a cash cow for doodle “Greeders” around here.

· Registered
4,866 Posts
I was always concerned about our Malamute. She was spayed but, as @PhoebeDuck said, that isn't obvious on a female dog. People commented on her EVERYWHERE we went. Some would ask if I was planning to breed her, they wanted to know her breed and if it's a RARE breed, one guy was very interested because he thought she was part wolf. I always made a point to say she was spayed. I do worry a bit about Jasper. There are a lot of Doodles here too.
I had this question soooo many times as my Toy breed (not a Poodle) girl rode on my arm around town. Always said something about responsible breeding as an answer, and it did come up a lot. Yes, she was very beautiful to most, including me, so I understood. It just seemed a chance to advocate for responsible breeding, and I shared as possible. And guarded her with my life.

· Registered
658 Posts
A friend left her two Yorkies in her car while she ran into a store. Sadly, someone bashed her window in and took them. I've had several people pay too much attention to Wally which gave me a bad vibe. One was a young guy in his running shorts and shoes who asked far too many odd questions. When he crouched next to him and got both hands on him I started getting unnerved thinking he might unhook his leash and take off. I quickly scooped him up and left. After reading a story about workers coming back and breaking in to take dogs I'm now putting Wally in his crate and closing the door if I have someone coming in to do work.

· Premium Member
Standard poodle; African Grey Parrot
572 Posts
I recently read an article on pet theft in the US, but I can't find it now. The jist was that only 15 states have laws on the books about pet thefts. Since pets are considered property, they fall under larceny and theft (petty or grand). A recent famous case was here in California with Lady Gaga's dog. She was lucky (not so much her dog walker), because the article stated that only about 10% of pet owners get their pets returned. Interestingly, poodles are not on the list of the top ten pure breeds stolen!
So, the article suggests that the owner not leave their dogs alone in your yard, in a car, tied to a post, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts