Poodle Forum banner

Dog friendly business's v.2

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  schnauzerpoodle 
#1 ·
I made an older thread asking about dog friendly business's to take Vegas in for socialization. Now that he is 7 months old, Vegas has been in six different large name stores; Petco, Petsmart, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, and Sportsmans Warehouse. Apart from Petso and Petsmart, I gave each of the other stores in my area a phone call before even heading out and spoke to someone to make sure their workplace was dog friendly. Generally, the places that don't actively sell food seem to be more willing to allow dogs.

Not only is the socialization invaluable, but it also gets Vegas more excited to go somewhere in the car, and he's been getting much less car sick. He's super people friendly, doesn't jump on people, and heels through the whole store. He will, however, lean towards someone he see's that may be interested in him, knowing that if he heads over to them there's sure to be pets followed.

He has also gone up a dog hike in SLC that we took with apoodleaday and Lacey last wednesday, though due to the fact that was the day we found Oslo dead (right when we got home) I haven't posted the pictures yet. The dog hike was over 6 miles total (3 up, 3 down) and had a dog lake at the top. He got lots of doggy socialization there as well.

Hope this helps with those of you with puppies wondering how to socialize them!

Vegas has also been into a neighborhood walmart, although he wasn't suppose to technically. My boyfriend works at one, and his manager is super fond of standards, so she needed a puppy fix and let me bring Vegas in.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've taken Teddy into Home Depot a couple of times, but the last time we went, I noticed (and ignored) a No Pets sign on the front door. It's small and off to the side, and no one told me he couldn't be in there. People (including employees) stopped to talk to him and pet him. The only reason I can think of that they would have the sign is so they have grounds to kick someone out if they bring in an unfriendly or unruly dog.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
Just found this:

On Wednesday morning, Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said there was no "formal" dog policy and sent the following statement:
"The Home Depot places a priority on providing a safe environment for our customers and associates. As a practice, we do not allow animals in our stores. However, service dogs and dogs that are non-disruptive, secured properly and under the control of their owner, may be tolerated in the store, at the discretion of the manager on duty and if there is not a disruption to our other customers."
In this article: Baby Bitten By Dog Inside Home Depot - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

#5 ·
I've taken mine to Home Depot and Lowes (besides the pet stores)..I usually ask at the entrance where they have a customer service desk if it is okay if I bring my dog in and they've always said yes...I've even taken my lab into a local jewelry store..I went in to have a watch battery changed and kept looking out they window to check on him and when they asked what I was doing they said to bring him in..When I brought him in they kind of did a double take and said we expected a frou frou dog not a 95 pound lab but they still gave him some dog biscuits and let him stay til they were done..LOL

#6 ·
I let Zulee walk around in the stores you mentioned to help her (and I) learn to walk better on leash and to teach her greeting manners. I'm lucky that our local feed store, Marshall Grain, will let pets come in the store.

If they don't serve food, I will take Zulee in. I will hold her and limit interaction, unless someone asks to pet her. No one has asked me to leave, but I would graciously comply if they did.

#8 ·
Be careful taking your dogs in to places like Home Depot if they allow pets. There are often a lot of nasty chemicals on the floors that could make them sick if they lick their feet! When Dixie was working, she wore booties in places like that so she didn't contact their floors.

#10 ·
We've taken our poodle to the Starbucks with a lanai, but there is one closer to our home with a lanai that says no animals on the lanai, which I think is silly, but whatever. I've also found that food establishments with lanais are more likely to allow dogs on their property than those without open-air seating.

#12 ·
I have taken Nickel to Peet's coffee here in San Francisco and have had no problem. Other businesses that we frequent are: Petco, Petsmart, Starbucks, Home Depot, Chinese supermarkets (I avoid the seafood area where food are just lying around), Safeway (I avoid the veggies area), Apple Store, Farmers' markets, furniture stores like West Elm and CB2, etc.

#14 ·
Whole Foods allows dogs, have taken fozzie in twice now with no issues. I didn't know about Safeway, Schnauzerpoodle, good to know!

other places: Sports Basement (they love dogs), Philz Coffee, gives dog biscuits. Starbucks has been hit or miss, many you can tell are not thrilled but don't say anything since he's tiny, and not jumping, we get our coffee and sit outside. I did have one starbucks ask me to leave without ordering. Fortunately my BF was there and he ordered. I've seen people with small dogs in carriers at Macy's.

we did some research on this in California and discovered that if the store has a patio out front, it's ok, but if the dog has to walk into a restaurant to get to the patio, it's a no go.

Because Fozzie's tiny he gets away with murder. Aside from restaurants, I generally just take him in, because it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. (and I make sure he minds his manners and doesn't ruin it for others.). So far, everyone seems fine with it, but then again I live in San Francisco, where there are more dogs than kids...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.