Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, someone please tell me WHY we need to feed our dogs godawful expensive foods. Grainfree, holistic,organic,limited ingredients...its mind boggling.

I feed Merrick, which is up there, but I have seen dogs fed strictly whatever was on sale at the grocery store the day they ran out of food, that are healthy, shiny, no problems.

so really, is it just the "you feed less, you clean up less" or is there another reason behind it?
Im not talking about having to feed a certain food because of allergies or whatever, just wondering if for normal,healthy dogs, the only reason to feed a high quality kibble is less poo, or if there is more to it.

:sheep:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Well, they may look healthy and shiny, and I don't doubt that, but how much more improvement to their appearance and health do you think would be visible if they were fed a higher grade food?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Foods that are NOT human grade are not fit for MY dogs. The meats are denatured with acids and peteoleum distillates. The carbodydrates are dusty, filthy fragments that are leftovers after the REAL whole grains are used for other things. Meat and bone meal are equivilent to crematory ashes. Corn is not little yellow kernals og Green Giant corn. It includes husks, cobs, silk, roots and stalks. What dog needs to eat corn stalks in its diet. Meats can range from cancerous cows to laboratory monkeys....its protein and its sold by the tonage to the BIG companies. The smaller companies are more conscientious about where their ingredients come from and they pay more for it in order to not subject their dlients dogs to KNOWN carcinogens etc. I am always on a rant about dog food. Check out my website page on dog foods. Www.barkingbeautiessalon.com

·
Registered
918 Posts
The food thing drives me crazy too. Jasper came with Innova Adult, which I've not been impressed with so far. Today I got talked into EVO Herring & Salmon for the puppy. I have to wonder how healthy the high protein diet will be in the long run for a breed that can be prone to kidney issues. It also escaped me when reading the label in the store that it has Glucosamine and Chrondointin in it :-/. Back to the drawing board I think. Innova was low in protein for a puppy, so I was supplementing with cottage cheese or chicken and veggies. With the high protein foods, I assume even more protein isn't necessary?? Confusing!

Eukanuba is the only food that my Golden could tolerate. She suffered for so long while we tried to find a food that worked. Innova, Solid Gold, Nutro, California Natural, etc... caused her so much misery :(. Once we discovered that she tolerated Eukanuba well, there was no way any other food was allowed in the house. (couldn't risk her getting a bite of it!) At 15 our Toy is doing well on Eukanuba Senior so we won't be switching him.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Because my dog relies soley on me for his health and i take the responsibility seriously. I have the choice to eat crappy foods, he does not. I want him around for as long as possible too! It makes me sick what goes into some dog foods anyways that i could not consiously feed that to my dog.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The food thing drives me crazy too. Jasper came with Innova Adult, which I've not been impressed with so far. Today I got talked into EVO Herring & Salmon for the puppy. I have to wonder how healthy the high protein diet will be in the long run for a breed that can be prone to kidney issues. It also escaped me when reading the label in the store that it has Glucosamine and Chrondointin in it :-/. Back to the drawing board I think. Innova was low in protein for a puppy, so I was supplementing with cottage cheese or chicken and veggies. With the high protein foods, I assume even more protein isn't necessary?? Confusing!

Eukanuba is the only food that my Golden could tolerate. She suffered for so long while we tried to find a food that worked. Innova, Solid Gold, Nutro, California Natural, etc... caused her so much misery :(. Once we discovered that she tolerated Eukanuba well, there was no way any other food was allowed in the house. (couldn't risk her getting a bite of it!) At 15 our Toy is doing well on Eukanuba Senior so we won't be switching him.

Se thats what im wondering about. There are some dogs that only do well on things that are considered "Junk" by some owners.

I have tried EVO, TOTW ect I wasn't thrilled at all.
Dog food is beginning to be a really scary thing for me, I joke all the time that if I didnt have so many I would just cook for them.

it seems like every week there is a new recall being announced, and then you hear of silent ones... I mean seriously, something we NEED for our pets...kills them!!??

Its crazy and I personally will go nuts if I dwell on it for too long, it litterally makes my head hurt thinking about what I should or shouldn't feed them.
The best I can do by them, is provide something that agrees with their bellies, and provides good nutrition

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Foods that are NOT human grade are not fit for MY dogs. The meats are denatured with acids and peteoleum distillates. The carbodydrates are dusty, filthy fragments that are leftovers after the REAL whole grains are used for other things. Meat and bone meal are equivilent to crematory ashes. Corn is not little yellow kernals og Green Giant corn. It includes husks, cobs, silk, roots and stalks. What dog needs to eat corn stalks in its diet. Meats can range from cancerous cows to laboratory monkeys....its protein and its sold by the tonage to the BIG companies. The smaller companies are more conscientious about where their ingredients come from and they pay more for it in order to not subject their dlients dogs to KNOWN carcinogens etc. I am always on a rant about dog food. Check out my website page on dog foods. Www.barkingbeautiessalon.com
MMMM ashes and silage sounds tasty :wacko:

and monkeys? thats it, Im cooking for them:scared: I freaking hate monkeys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I try and feed the best food I can afford and that will work for my pet. My Miniature gets TOTW, but I am currently switching her over to BB. On the other hand - the other 3 poodles are on not so good foods, however they are healthy and happy. Zoe is 5 years old and has been on Hills I/D since she was 1.5 - no other food will agree with her super sensitive tummy. Sammi, who is 8 is on Hills R/D and has been since he was about 3 years old. He needs to stay on this food due to gall bladder diease. Spanky who is now 15 years old is on Purina and has been on it his who life - he is a very picky eater plus that is the only food that will agree with him. All of these dogs are healthy, happy, and with nice coats. However, even with them doing well on these lower grade foods and if they were able to eat a different food I would definitely try them on something better such as Innova, TOTW, BB, Wellness, etc.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think what really sealed the deal for me was the last big recall of dog foods (including some brands I had previously held in higher esteem). I had no idea that so much of the filler was coming from China.

We had a chihuahua when I was a kid who lived to be about 13-14 years old. She was fed Ken-L-Ration (remember those patties that looked kind of plastic-y?). That was all we could get her to eat, so we let her eat it.

I feel very good feeding Wellness and I don't mind paying extra for it. If Teddy were to get sick from contaminated dog food, I would be devastated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nutrition is very important... I feed raw. I feed raw not only for less smell and smaller poops but also for better nutritional quality of the foods that my Spoos receive. There are several raw food co-ops and grocery stores that supply food at very economical prices. I feed whole foods as opposed to ground products.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I never knew that higher quality food means smaller poos?!?! I just switched from pedigree (ick!!!) to royal canin and I noticed much smaller/less poos...didn't realize that was typical

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I never knew that higher quality food means smaller poos?!?! I just switched from pedigree (ick!!!) to royal canin and I noticed much smaller/less poos...didn't realize that was typical
There is a lot of filler in some brands of dog food and it's not something they need nutritionally so it comes right back out. Corn is an ingredient that not even humans can digest so there's no reason to have corn in the diet of a dog.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dog food has come along way since we first had companions.

I think you have to feed the best you can afford. My cousins had two Golden mixed that lived for 14 years on nothing but Ol'Roy. They were active and healthy until the day they died. Now would I ever tell people to feed Ol'Roy if they asked? No. But I am not beyond buying a bag if that's all I can afford. In fact I had two bags of Ol'Roy donated to me for my foster dogs. Did I tell these people no because its Ol'Roy? Hell no its dog food, they get to eat and I get to save money to help rescue more dogs.

I have been feeding Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice for about 3 years now and all of my dogs do very nicely on it. If I could afford it they would be on Taste Of The Wild. Why? Because I think its better for them to have less filler and more whole meats but I won't break the bank when what I can afford now is doing just great.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nutrition is very important... I feed raw. I feed raw not only for less smell and smaller poops but also for better nutritional quality of the foods that my Spoos receive. There are several raw food co-ops and grocery stores that supply food at very economical prices. I feed whole foods as opposed to ground products.
I'm with you, only three weeks in and I can already see the benefits for BOTH of my dogs.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Because my dog relies soley on me for his health and i take the responsibility seriously. I have the choice to eat crappy foods, he does not. I want him around for as long as possible too! It makes me sick what goes into some dog foods anyways that i could not consiously feed that to my dog.
Perfectly put!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Everyone here has really good points, and it's key to remember that all dogs are individuals-- what works great for one might be horrible for another.
My personal concern is longevity. As a groomer, I see a lot of old dogs, and some of them are so decrepit it makes me want to cry. Of course I have no solid scientific evidence to back it up, but I always wonder if those dogs would be healthier now of they'd been fed better from the beginning.

I've seen dogs that always did just great on cheap food- then they get old, their hair falls out, their skin is a shambles, they have rotting teeth, can barely move, etc. There's a whole host of complaints that are just considered normal for aging animals.

I personally want one of those dogs that stays very healthy right up until the end. I've met a few of those, too, and the difference usually seems to be higher quality food (and of course regular vet care). I believe that most "normal" problems are actually a result of long-term poor nutrition.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I believe in feeding my guys the best quality food that I can afford. I really wish I could feed them raw at all times, but it gets really pricey (and yes, I did the math) and my female standards really, really, really hates raw. :( She must be the only dog I know. She will only eat raw beef, preferably ground. She used to like chicken backs, turkey and chicken necks, but she now refuses it. :( Bugsy, my havanese loves chicken breast, chicken gizzards and necks and my home cooked. Romeo is my easy child, just bring on the food. lol To make things simpler, once a day they get kibble with either home cooked, raw or occasionally canned and at night everyone eats raw.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What an interesting thread! This is timely for me since I have been researching foods for the new puppy.

I found it disappointing that Royal Canin puppy formula list corn gluten meal as the third ingredient.

My brother-in-law's Chihuahua mix eats Royal Canin Chihuahua formula. It has no corn listed, but has only one real protein source listed in the first 7 ingredients and lots of grains.

For how expensive the food is, I’m surprised at its content.

I decided to go with Wellness puppy formula and it was actually cheaper than the Royal Canin at Petco. It has no corn and three meat protein sources in the first five ingredients.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well I'm just stoked to even HAVE a decent food available in NZ now; orijen came to NZ a year ago, and is the ONLY 6 star food we can get here so far. I'd rather that than crap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love Wellness food! That's a company I trust. The only reason I don't feed it to Flash is that he's terribly picky and he just won't eat it. Silly spoiled spoo. :)
my cats eat Wellness, though, and they've never looked better! Shiny coats and a LOT less shedding. Which is a major bonus for me because I hate shed hair--that's a large part of the reason I chose a poodle.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts