Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Mia the breeder had her on ProPlan so I stuck with that and mixed in a bag of Authority because I had a coupon. Before that I had Harry on Blue Buffalo but I'm not going to lie, during Christmas time I skipped the Blue and used my coupon. I didn't think it would really make that much difference. I'm telling you this story so that you know that food really DOES matter. When I groomed Mia two days ago her feet were very dry and flakey. I figured it had to be the food. I was very sad when I groomed Harry last night because his entire body was dry and flakey. I have groomed him while he was on Blue Buffalo and never saw anything like this. He'd have a couple of spots of dry skin but who doesn't? I had never seen anything like this before and I felt so so bad. I showed my husband and he said we are switching them back to either Blue or Wellness or Innova immediately. I bathed him in an oatmeal shampoo and he seems a little better.

I just want you to know that what you put in really does come out. If you put in crap you will see crap and I feel like a horrible mom. I will make it right and I'm glad it's only been about a month and a half of this crap food.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Id have to agree with that. The better food's will give you better results when it comes to coat, regular bowel movements and of course health. Ecspecially in the long run.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I keep looking at Blue Buffalo. I recently switched to something else and I'm going to give it a try first. I listened to the vet for years and fed Bailey Science Diet for sensitive skin. He had horrible skin and it improved greatly when I finally took him off of it. I think Science Diet is absolute garbage. I went from SD to Eukanuba (Harley started on Euk lg breed puppy), fed Authority for while, then decided to give Pedigree and chance. Believe or not I was happier w/ Pedigree than the other brands. I'm not saying it's a good food and I no longer feed it. It's just funny how the public is led to believe SD and Euk are so much better when they're not. I think the Walmart commercials are hilarious too. "Is Beneful any less health b/c you buy at Walmart?" Nope it's crap either way, lol.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a retailer that sells EVO and that's what I want. It's a 6 star food on the dogfoodanalysis website.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Beneful - ugh. I hate the name of it, even. My sister and husband have been feeding their old lab Beneful, probably because they believe those stupid ads.

I tried Blue dry (mixed with his Wellness Core canned) and Teddy just ate around it. He only likes Wellness Puppy, and I'm more than happy to feed it to him. I love Wellness. Is there someway I could get paid for saying that? ;)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've fed my dogs a variety of things, I really like the Diamond brand..

Diamond Naturals, Taste of the wild, all the same company. I used to mostly feed totw but have fed Diamond in between and never noticed a huge coat difference.

I only really noticed the coat and skin look much healthier when adding supplements. I really like the Dream Coat supplement made by Halo but Inflight coat supplement is cheap and works wonders, especially for growing coat on a dog..but dream coat does that pretty well too..

Show Stoppers is probably my favorite for how a coat looks..

My parents feed their dogs Nutro but they also use inflight as well as missing link/lipiderm and I really can't tell a difference between his dogs coat and mine.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Also about Pedigree, if someone is going to feed their dogs crap food I always suggest Pedigree. For some reason dogs never seem to do horrible on it..

I don't think its a good food, but I suppose it could always be worse.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it was the Pedigree or the Authority because I mixed the two. I have tried Diamond with Harry and it's the reason I switched to Blue Buffalo, his skin was dry. The BB did away with it honestly. His breeder suggested show stopper. I don't know if that's going to be fesible for us if it's terribly expensive. Maybe I could do a fish oil from GNC?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Believe or not I was happier w/ Pedigree than the other brands. I'm not saying it's a good food and I no longer feed it. It's just funny how the public is led to believe SD and Euk are so much better when they're not. I think the Walmart commercials are hilarious too. "Is Beneful any less health b/c you buy at Walmart?" Nope it's crap either way, lol.
holy cow that made me laugh about beneful ROFL, NICE!

Jazz was on good 'ol pedigree (or I suspect whatever was on sale if something happened to be cheaper) and she was surprising not that bad off when we adopted her. I didn't want to shock her so I moved up the "food chain" so the speak gradually. She ate one 40lb bag of pedigree while my bank account recovered from the bills to spring her runaway butt from the shelter then she went to Purina ONE lg breed and then from there to Blue. Her funky feet (they were smelly all the time) went away pretty quickly with vinegar foot soaks and purnia ONE and then never returned once we put her on Blue. I would like to put them back on the Blue... being unable to work though means I have to get what we can afford. Thankfully I haven't had to go back to predigree or dog chow, we're using Diamond Naturals now and so far I'm ok with it... Nice on the bank account too.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't know if it was the Pedigree or the Authority because I mixed the two. I have tried Diamond with Harry and it's the reason I switched to Blue Buffalo, his skin was dry. The BB did away with it honestly. His breeder suggested show stopper. I don't know if that's going to be fesible for us if it's terribly expensive. Maybe I could do a fish oil from GNC?
My mom uses show stopper on dogs we are keeping in coat for the ring. She swears by it but to be honest I haven't noticed a difference and I'm the one who grooms them and usually the handler too so I feel like I would notice. She ran out and didn't have it for a month and she swore their hair was getting dry but she's imaging things. Weirdly they DID get dry skin on wellness.

You might do ok with the fish oil from where ever you choose to buy it, as much as I HATE the stuff I'm thinking of trying it again for at least the spoos. You're right about the diamond, it does seem to me that my dogs have dry/itchy skin on it. But, I hadn't yet decided if it was due to the abrupt weather change here or the food since both changes happened kind of close together. Im thinking it may have been the weather but we'll see, it's starting to warm up a bit here. I ws leaning towards weather honestly because that is when it became obvious in all four of them, and we had just had a brief oops with fleas from a friend's dog who brought them over to our house.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Beneful and Iams are only a 1 star food whereas the Evo, Orijen, etc are 6 stars. BIG DIFFERENCE...Mister doesnt get any grains anymore. The more i read i just cant justify giving him food with a bunch of crap in it that he doesnt need.
So he gets Orijen 6 fish in the AM and raw chicken at night as well as fish capsules and some yogurt every now and then and just recently started on some ACV.

Oh and for comparison, when i first got him he was on Science Diet LB puppy! Talk about crap! Its nothing but corn and chicken by product meal lol. I tried to feed him it that night and he just looked at me like "aww do i have to". A dog should be excited for meal time, they should enjoy what they are eating. He also has some sores on his body, brown starting on his feet and gross ears all the makings of a true food allergy.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
KPoos you're not a horrible mom. You made a change and it didn't work out. You saw that it affected Mia and you did what you could to make her more comfortable. Now you're changing back to good food. That doesn't make you a horrible mom!

I'm not sure that it is always about the food. I have my GRD on a cheaper food and my spoos on Diamond. None of them have skin problems. But, I add supplements including the fish oil.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Diamond Naturals is what I'm feeding now, I have question about it but I'll start a new post. I was feeding Nutro Naturals and then fed Tractor Supply's store brand version of NN. I think the natural lines are very different than the regular food in both Diamond and Nutro. Not b/c I've fed them both but b/c of their ingredients.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KPoos you're not a horrible mom. You made a change and it didn't work out. You saw that it affected Mia and you did what you could to make her more comfortable. Now you're changing back to good food. That doesn't make you a horrible mom!

I'm not sure that it is always about the food. I have my GRD on a cheaper food and my spoos on Diamond. None of them have skin problems. But, I add supplements including the fish oil.
Thanks, I just felt so guilty when I saw his skin and it was so dry and had a couple of places that had sores. He's strictly an inside dog so it might be that it's winter and the heater is on but with seeing it during the summer when he was on a food that has corn in it, I'm thinking it's corn related. If I get him off the corn and add in an oil as a supplement he might do much better.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Orijen only recently became available in NZ. The ONLY 6 star food in NZ that i can find. I am currently working on trying to supply it at work, which means wholesale orijen, as well as obviously havign a great food finially available down here!! *fingers crossed* Paris is currently on proplan... *sigh*

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I found a retailer that sells EVO and that's what I want. It's a 6 star food on the dogfoodanalysis website.
My mom has fed EVO (large bites) for several years now and that's all she will feed. I switched TQ over to the small bites just this past week, and she really seems to enjoy it. (That's not saying MUCH, since she has a stomach o' steel, and would eat cardboard and glass if I put it in her bowl.) My mom has three greyhounds - so you can imagine what her yard would look like if she were feeding cheap food - and they all have wonderful coats, bright eyes, and full bellies.

My biggest test was switching Perry over to the EVO this past week, as he is my sensitive tummy picky eater. He loves the Evo, and gobbles it down. To say something of his picky eating... when I first found him, he wouldn't eat anything... not dry food, not wet food with gravy, not cheap canned... I had to buy the stinker EXPENSIVE canned food before he would eat. Thankfully we're past those days, but he is still a little snob about food sometimes.

-------------

Also, on the Beneful front... that stuff is crap. It is the ONLY dog food I have seen that actually lists SUGAR as one of its ingredients. Really? Dogs need sugar? The people I work for feed their dog this, and too much of it. (They claim he is allergic to IAMS... because that's better food :eyeroll:, minus that I was there, and he wasn't allergic, he was depressed.)

My idiotic brother, I'm allowed to call him that... I'm the little sister, knows all about good food and bad food (we all do, thanks to Maggie) but still buys his dog Beneful. Well, jigs up, because his poor guy doesn't LIKE beneful. My mother watched him, and he would pick the food up, then spit it out... leaving most of it in the bowl.

If you're going to feed cheap food, at least feed better cheap food than beneful and sam's choice. A couple dollars more and you can feed one of the big names that are "so great"... at least they're better than just pouring sugar into your dog's bowl!

Okay, off my tangent. (I blame my brother, the thick-headed a-hole! lol)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Also, to add... I love Blue Buffalo. I keep coming back to it when I find something I don't like about a new food. TQ loves it and thrives on it. (Her tummy is usually raw, but my tough tomboy has a grass allergy and has to take benedryl, lol.) However, I'm trying this switch to Evo, because Perry won't eat the little nuggets in the Blue Buffalo - their freeze dried, small, dark little nutrient part of their kibble. He doesn't eat the nuggets, and will leave them in his bowl after eating the rest. I don't want to give them to anyone else - as we are germaphobes in this family... thanks, Genetics - so I throw them away, thus wasting food, as well as Perry is missing one of the main parts of their food.

I was told by a rep. for the brand that the dark parts are all the nutrients that usually get baked out of normal dog food. They save it, make the pellets and freeze dry them to add to the food... it's one of the things that makes Blue Buffalo a quality dog food. Hence me being unhappy that Perry doesn't eat them.

Point a) I want my dogs to eat the same food for as long as possible (you know, before they get old and I have to make them special diets!)
Point b) there wasn't anything I was unhappy with with Blue Buffalo, and that's not the reason for my switch :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am not crazy about Orijen unless your dog is very active and into a lot of activities as it really is for working dogs.

I have tried it a few times for Mandy Casey just pees constantly on it as it is to hard on his kidneys. He has no control at all of his bladder so it is kinda scary what it is doing to him and this has happened each time we try it.

I like Taste of the wild Pacific stream but unfortunatly got to pricey so am now doing kirkland right now Both look ok and Mandy grew back a really nice thick coat from whatever happened in the summer when she lost so much coat and itched and licked everywhere so she still has some pink fur.

Mandy also finally put on some weight and is not all bones anymore.

I realize kirkland isn't the best but it isn't the worst and I am happy with where they are on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts