Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Evie has now officially outgrown her old crate. So I decided that I would like to make her one, but I have no idea how to do it. I would love suggestions on how to make one. Has anyone ever made a crate for your poodle before?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If you Google 'DIY Dog Crates' there are lots of ones you can build yourself! Some really neat ones you can build out of existing furniture, or build into your wall, or under a stairway!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don’t remember who it was, but a member here made a dog crate and have it integrated as their tv cabinet. It was the coolest thing! Perhaps you can search for diy crate here too.

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
Talk to Johanna. She makes furniture (like really nice furniture).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Which one is Johana? I am thinking that I want it to be one of the nightstand ones.

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
Thank you! Which one is Johana? I am thinking that I want it to be one of the nightstand ones.

Her user name is Johanna, just as written.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi everyone.
Evie has now officially outgrown her old crate. So I decided that I would like to make her one, but I have no idea how to do it. I would love suggestions on how to make one. Has anyone ever made a crate for your poodle before?
Thank you.
Although I have made quite a few pieces of furniture, I have never made a dog crate. I have, however, seen some pictures of wooden crates that serve as coffee tables, end tables, or part of built-ins. There are some nice examples on pinterest if you google "hand made dog crates".

One of my planned projects is a window seat in a bay window. I am considering incorporating a "crate" as part of that window seat.

Do you have woodworking equipment - not just a hand saw and a couple of screwdrivers, but a table saw or band saw? I think this would be a nice project, but not an easy one.

Finally - a wooden crate is not appropriate for a dog who chews sticks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have woodworking equipment and lots of it. So I looked and I think that I am just going to basically build a coffee table then put walls and a door underneath. THank you

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Be sure to post a picture! What kind of wood are you planning to use? I love walnut, but I suspect with its wonderful smell it would be prone to being chewed. Walnut is poisonous to horses - don't know about dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts