Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy is not up to walking far, but is getting bored and restless at the lack of exercise and stimulation, and I am considering getting a buggy for her when the weather improves. Any tips on what I should be looking for, and what I should avoid? Most of the cheaper ones seem to be quite high off the ground and not very stable - are there benefits in the dog being able to hop on and off without having to be lifted every time? And which are the better makes of those available in the UK?

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
I have no suggestions as far as a buggy but I agree on the boredom I put Bea in a sling so she can join the others on our walks so she can enjoy the sights and smells of the world.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I don’t know about a buggy but I know lots of people use a baby stroller. Since they’re made for human babies, they are sturdy and reliable, and they come in all prices and shapes.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent idea, Dechi - I think they may have higher safety standards too.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Definitely look for one with rugged wheels and a low centre of gravity. The world is neither flat nor smooth, and this becomes strikingly apparent when trying to wheel a fragile being around!

We opted for a utility wagon, simply because we wanted to utilize it for beach days and non-dog things. But it was quite cumbersome and hard on the towing arm.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
When I first joined here there was someone whose minipo broke it’s leg and was in a cast. She said all the pet strollers were flimsy so she bought a child’s stroller. Pet strollers usually have a mesh enclosure to keep the dog inside the stroller. For her dog she was using the Sleepypod harness to keep her dog on the seat. I think any harness and clip would work the same so they can change positions but can’t jump off.

I would want to train my dog that I carry them in and out of a stroller.

You might be able to find a used children’s stroller that meets your need at a lower price.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
When my last dog, also a Toy breed, got to that stage, I bought a Pet Gear stroller which still works well to this day though mostly unused for some years now. Bonus, it ended up being a great way to get my late cat to the vet.
My model is built for paved roads/paths, but there used to be a model called all terrain, along the lines of jogging strollers, for off road. I doubt it's intended for very rough areas, but more than the one I have.

I think maybe good if they aren't jumping in and out, though kitty surely did as he loved it. Add in a nice blankie, and they love the ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Skylar, I remember reading that thread about the mini poodle with the broken leg. It was Sophie Anne and Ari. What stands out in my mind is that she took her dog with her to test several strollers in a store, and picked the one her dog seemed most comfortable in. A good approach if the store doesn’t mind.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Skylar, I remember reading that thread about the mini poodle with the broken leg. It was Sophie Anne and Ari. What stands out in my mind is that she took her dog with her to test several strollers in a store, and picked the one her dog seemed most comfortable in. A good approach if the store doesn’t mind.
Yes, that was it. And good you remembered that she took her dog to test the strollers. I think it's the perfect solution to take Poppy out for fun. I can see adding a soft blanket to the seat so she's nice and comfy.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent idea to let the dog try them out - unfortunately I think our local big pet store only has one stroller, and that looks rather flimsy. The more robust ones I like the look of are very expensive - not a problem if she likes it, but too much to risk if she hates the whole idea - and also rather cumbersome to fold and transport. I think a second hand baby buggy may be the answer - bigger than she really needs, but better quality than the cheap pet ones. I will also take another look at Pet Gear - thanks.

For now the weather is not tempting, and a short pootle and then back in the car while Sophy and I walk is suiting Poppy very well. It would be nice to be ready when Spring finally appears, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts