Poodle Forum banner

Doesn't this sound odd?

2729 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  cuddleparty
So I've been looking at getting a mini poodle brother for Ponki for many months now. And I've ran into some very interesting breeders and I've learned a lot.
But today I came accross a breeder who has a contract that seems all good and well... it has the basic stuff like the puppy will be returned to the breeder/it needs to be taken to the vet within 4 days of purchase etc. etc.
But then I get to the end of the contract and it states that if the purchaser does not comply with the contract they agree to pay the breeder $1500....

7.If above conditions are not met the purchaser will pay $1500.00 to
Does this seem odd to anyone... or is it just me?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I think breeder's absolutely should include a clause like that if the puppy is on a spay/neuter contract and the puppy buyer doesn't comply. The other (bogus) registries make it too easy for some one to breed an AKC puppy that's sold on limited registration or is co-owned, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to include something like that, in case they can no longer care for the dog it has to come back to you or go to someone you approve of. There are over zealous animal rights activist will do their best to ruin a breeder if one of their dogs is dumped in rescue, w/o even giving the breeder a chance to do the right thing and come pick up the dog. People don't even honor their written word anymore, so I see nothing wrong w/ a breeder trying to protect the idividual dog and their reputation. However, if they are going to fine you for any little thing like not using the right brand of vaccines or flea repellent, that's is crazy.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Ponki - do not get upset about it ! If you do not like the contract - you can ask for addendum or for her to rephrase it to be more specific. Yes, some breeders like to put spay/n. clausal to make sure pup is fixed. I, personally , like more when breeder does rigorous pre-screening and than does not have to worry about it ! OR, when breeder takes "off" that requirement after buyer sends back vet's proof of a procedure done.

All in all, it is not odd to see that for spay/n. part, BUT for anything else it is just CRAZY ! If she is not trusting her buyer is caring person - than she should NOT sell the puppy for ANY price or with ANY contract.
I agree with a lot of that. Don't ever sign any contract you aren't 100% comfortable with. It's okay to negotiate and even walk away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.