Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the crate and daisy is terrified of it and sitting in the corner of the kitchen ;( iv left the crate open and put her choc drops in i feel so guilty i bought it now :(

What do i do????Am i bad in buying it :shame::frown:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just got the crate and daisy is terrified of it and sitting in the corner of the kitchen ;( iv left the crate open and put her choc drops in i feel so guilty i bought it now :(

What do i do????Am i bad in buying it :shame::frown:
NOOOO! lol

She is just being a baby. They all hate crate's in the beginning but after a little time they either tolerate it or enjoy it. A matter of fact I have a funny picture I just got yesterday thats a little ridiculous. I will post in a few minutes. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that made me feel better lol i felt evil!!!!lol
is that poodle a minature pictured??looks big :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks for that made me feel better lol i felt evil!!!!lol
is that poodle a minature pictured??looks big :)
lol....nope he's a 16 month old Standard. Thats Eli. The crate is pretty large but my Pit Bull, Lotus is approx 90 lbs. Eli is 53 lbs last I weighed him. It was cramped condition's in that crate yesterday but they seemed to want it that way. lol

That living room is divided off with a really wide baby gate. I usually keep a few dogs in that room while Im in the family room or kitchen with the other dogs and kids. (I rotate the dogs) Thats why when I looked in there I didn't see them and thought maybe they jumped the gate and went to bed in my bedroom. Then my son noticed them sleeping in the crate together. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
A couple things you can try:

1) Feeding her in her crate (of course you don't want her food to get all over her sleeping pad).

2) playing a "game" of throwing treats/toys in there..eventually working up to waiting til she puts her self in there (like in a sit) to give the treat (guide her by putting your hand/arm in the crate but not dropping it). You can also sneak treats in there when she isn't looking, so she will "find" them from the "magical" crate..hehe.

Otherwise, yeah, I think they just get used to it. My girl sleeps in her crate all night but still doesn't want to be in it much during the day.

Everyone has a different idea about where you should put it....in a busy area, like the family room, in a quiet, secluded area, like the laundry room, or in your bedroom. Some folks recommend covering it with blankets to make it more private and den like and some recommend playing music for your dog while she is in there. /shrug

If you are really uncomfortable about it another alternative is to "wear" your girl by putting a leash on her and either around your waist or wrist...that way she has to follow you around and won't get into trouble....some folks also recommend working up to "stationing" your dog, on a leash, in different rooms by providing a tether, bed and toy in a few different areas of your house.

You are not bad for buying it! Just have to find out what works best for you two!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts