Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puppy Peggy ran super hot. She would sprawl on the floor next to her bed and shoved her crate blankets as far away as possible.

Now her ears, nose, and paws often feel cold. She curls into a tight ball in her bed, and tries to get as close to us as possible on the couch. I don't mind, of course, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable.

We keep the house at 66 degrees Fahrenheit most of the day, raising it to 68 from 8pm-10pm. Outdoors it's averaging in the mid-50s during the day, mid-40s at night. She never seems cold outside, not even when she sits for extended periods in the car.

I'm considering putting her in a sweater indoors. Silly?

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Not silly. Asta also sleeps on the Floor in summertime and in the fall and winter will sleep curled up on the bed next to me ( I am glad that he is coming to bed with me) Your house temperatures are lower than mine, but we are in the southeast and we are conditioned to higher temps.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
66F (18.9C) seems cold to me (I’m either having hot flashes or being cold).

I like to keep the house at 23C (73.4 F) in winter during the day, and 19C (66.2F) at night. If Peggy’s hair is short, I’m sure she would appreciate a sweater. Merlin and Beckie cuddle together at night, but it would be too cold otherwise at 19C. I keep their hair long in winter also.

Sometimes I do their summer cut in May and then it gets cold and Beckie needs a sweater.

·
Registered
119 Posts
not silly, different breeds, but my labrador is curled up on my bed wearing a sweater right now.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Annie has a sweater for when freshly groomed. I like to keep my bedroom quite cool (15-16C) and if she has a sweater, she doesn't try and sleep on top of me!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Mia ran hot for many years, but as she ages, she now gets cold enough to enjoy lying on the thick, warm comforter and even snuggling in colder weather. So expect it to keep changing throughout her life.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't think it's silly at all! Fluffy usually wears some kind of clothing in winter, as the snow balls up on his longer fur and makes him all icky, so his fur isn't quite long enough to keep him warm. As a result, he loves his clothes. I keep intending to try this tutorial, since I made a sweater for Misty a long time ago, but the one I made then is clumsy and doesn't fit Fluffy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My grandma had a rescue sheltie that for some reason was shaved, the fur never grew back (duh), and so she bought small children clothes because they are much cheaper than dog clothes, and bobbypinned them together at the bottom and vualá cheap doggo shirt/jacket. You can even buy child jackets and cut the sleaves off for something even warmer. Just mt two cents. Dog clothes, especially the size to fit a standard are expensive. I adapted this to my labrador and he wears a size 14/16 in the child section, I just folded the stuff that hangs down and bobby pinned it right up. Doesn't poke him either.

·
Registered
Toy poodles Zara(2015) and Reyna(2020). Maltese Ema(2011/2019) and Roxy(2011)
17 Posts
Hello,
I sleep with open windows in winter, so I have very low temperatures in our bedroom.
Poodles areunder the blankets with me and yes sometimes they wear pijamas made of very fluffy material that keeps them extra warm 🐩❄
Now its 12C in our room as I can see but they are only dressed when its bellow 0 C.
You know your poodle best si if u think she is cold - dress her/him❤

I got them this first one in the Pic pijamas last year, one is like 4$, from wish, and I am very very satisfied. Very warm, easy to wash and dont mess up our poodle hair🐩🐩

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it depends upon the dog and you know your Peggy best so it’s not silly at at all! We keep things quite cool in our home, mid to low 60’s F during the day and 58 to 60 at night when it’s cold outside.
We are weird! 😂 Anything over 70 and we are hot! The cooler indoor temps don’t seem to faze Bobby at all but that’s what he’s knows.
He likes to sleep by our feet at night on top of the bed, snuggle by me in my chair in the morning and he likes a fuzzy throw on the couch but definitely he doesn’t seem uncomfortably cold. People...dogs...we are all different. 😉

·
Registered
75 Posts
Happy ran super hot as a younger puppy. At 6mo, she still runs a little warm. During the summer months she usually opted to sleep sprawled out on the hardwood floor. I kept her trimed close to keep comfortable. Now that it's cooling down, I'm letting her grow out. She's definately more cuddly when it's cooler.

On edit, my JRTs wore sweaters in winter as they didn't have the benefit of a natural Poodle sweater.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
With Snarky and Pogo it depended on the length of their coats. For most of their lives they were fine all winter, even to the point where they would retreat to cooler rooms to sleep. Then in March I would take them to the groomer for their annual welcome-to-mud-season shave downs. They would spend two weeks post shave down curled into tight little balls on the sofa. Sometimes I took pity on them and put them in sweaters or covered them with blankets. A few times I even piled all the couch cushions on Snarky; Pogo drew the line at that indignity.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My spoo will wear a sweater in the house if it’s cooler or she’s shaved down. We actually have the heat + all the fire places going now because it was darn cold in the house.
She’ll sleep under my blankets on my bed (where she generally stays all night long) or prefer couches/beds to nap on during the day but it depends. She’s been spending a lot of time curled up with the cat in front of the living room fireplace this week 😂

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
I wonder if Peggy's need for warmth is linked to nesting behaviour, given your other post about her nursing a soft toy. Having said that Poppy has a decided preference for staying under the duvet when the bedroom temperature drops below 60F, and even Sophy who is usually toasty warm has been known to slip under when the nights get very cold. I am another who prefers to sleep with an open window, so nights can get chilly.

·
Registered
Toy poodles Zara(2015) and Reyna(2020). Maltese Ema(2011/2019) and Roxy(2011)
17 Posts
This thread is giving me chills. 12 C? Open windows in winter? Y'all are nuts. I put on a snowsuit any time the house temps go below 68 F. If the house were better insulated, I'd keep the temps north of 70 F, too.
I would live in refrigerator if I could :) tonight was cold night and Reyna was with me under the blankets all the time :) her first winter 🐩❄

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
This thread is giving me chills. 12 C? Open windows in winter? Y'all are nuts. I put on a snowsuit any time the house temps go below 68 F. If the house were better insulated, I'd keep the temps north of 70 F, too.
Haha Liz. Growing up, we heated with wood and I could often see my breath in the morning on cold days. Summer is torturous, I struggle to sleep with temps over 20C or so.
I also like winter camping, but Annie is NoT a fan, despite having a sweater and her own sleeping bag and mat.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I grew up in Wisconsin. I hit my lifetime quota of minus 20 F days before I turned 18. (The coldest it got was minus 70's F, when even schools closed because kids could get frostbite waiting for the bus).

Never again. Y'all can have it. I'm sticking to beach weather in November land.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The only times my spoo is cold is after a bath when he is not totally dry, so I wrap him in a big blanket and he sleeps for several hours on the couch to dry. The other time is if it is about -10 F or lower and we have been out for exercise in winter. He refuses to wear a coat, so in rain, sleet, and snow he just runs around and loves it! And I keep him clipped at about 1/4 inch in summer and 1/2 inch in winter. I just assumed all poodles were that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts