Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured indulgence could cover everything from paying over $1,000 for a puppy to paying $20 for a shampoo, to grooming prices and high quality dog foods. Poodles (especially spoos) can be pricey so I was curious if your significant other enjoyed the dogs as much as we do?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
yes, yes and YES!!! :) It's rather funny how my hubby has LEAPED onto the dog-owning bandwagon! :lol: I've had dogs for YEARS and he's always called them "Your dogs" (meaning *my* dogs, not HIS dogs...) but now that we have Lucybug, he's all ga-ga over her! He didn't squabble about her price, he didn't balk when we drove 15 hours to pick her up, he's coming with us to our rally obedience classes and has authorized ALL my grooming equipment purchases (from the nail clippers, to the expensive shears, velocity dryer, a multitude of clippers/trimmers, etc...) She's his little Princess! HAAAAA!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nope, but he supports me and our son and Poppy is ours. My hubby never had a pet unless you count yard birds. Everyone in his family is allergic to dogs and cats, so he does not identify with wanting to have a bond with a dog. I always had a pet and love dogs and I wanted our son to have the same type of bond. Well my hubby passed his allergies to our son, and that is what lead us to standard poodles. I'm so happy it did! Popcorn is so wonderful and smart and I probably would never have had a standard if our son did not have allergies, I mainly had pound puppies. Now I don't want to make you all think my hubby is against us having Poppy, because he's not and he does like her and plays with her. He just can't understand the bond. I guess I'll keep him anyway:)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
My Bf loves dogs just as much as I do maybe not poodles lol But he said he will buy me any new puppy and if its turns out to be a poodle then so be it lmao

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, he does. He love to buy toys and collars and treats just as much as I do, even though he says the dog is "my dog." Although, he has definitely jumped on the new poodle bandwagon. He's just as excited about a new addition as the kids and I are :lol:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My husband pretends that he doesn't care about our dogs but he's the first person to say "we are switching their food immediately (after the flakey skin)" or picks toys for them when we toy shop. I know he enjoys them, he's just funny about agreeing that he does.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Good heavens-YES!!!! Bruce is such a softy sucky with our dogs, it is almost ridiculous. We have chats about who I plan to breed who to, and I think I should keep a puppy out of this litter or that, and he backs up my decisions 100%. He has added input to the discussions that has made me think twice about something I was thinking of doing, or he has looked at a prospective stud's photo and said...WHAT are you thinking?? which has then smartened me up. As a matter of fact, the biggest thing that made me fall in love with him was the way he treated my dogs, the way they reacted to him, and the way he supports me in my breeding efforts.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes, mine does. He is an animal lover, one of the reasons I picked him! ;)
He loved my (dearly departed) horse and greyhound too.
He even swears he hates cats, but I have seen him petting/loving PJ.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does he support it, yes and no. He is not a big animal lover. To him a dog is a dog. But he does support my love for them and lets me splurge on them and on my grooming supplies and stuff. He thinks it's insane to spend a lot of money on a show dog when you can go to the shelter and get "just as good of a dog". He did go with me to get my first Belgian show dog though and let me spend the $$ to show her to her CH. So, if it were up to him we might not have any dogs or just one house dog, but because he loves me he lets me enjoy my hobby, my passion of animals. You'll never find him buying anything for the dogs though (unless I ask him to pick up dog food).

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
nope.... if I told him how much spoos would cost to buy a pup he'd probably never ever even let me even entertain the idea of another spoo in the future (Paris was a freebie, can't complain about that!) The dogs are mine really, he's never grown up with dogs, he likes my girls, but he's not a dog person. He'll walk Riki when I'm walking Paris, he doesn't mind me buying decent food, though he does utter things under his breath about it at times, and he has no idea the amount I spend on shows & classes etc! He reckons he was gonna be a vet, but I'm glad he's not with his bedside manner towards animals! lol.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My SO - loves our dogs! He's a bigger dog lover than me. BUT he will not spend the amount asking for them. I do that :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
My OH and I worked together with dogs so I know he loves them as much as I do! He's not all that keen on getting a min poodle but I know as soon as he sees her he'll fall in love! I've lost count of the number of pups I've brought home on foster that 'he wanted nothing to do with', that 1/2 hr later are snuggled up under his jumper or on his lap!
He also didn't want us to get a cat, now the first thing he says when he get's in from work is 'where's MY baby cat'! :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My husband is so good about our poodles. In fact he is the one who got me interested in spoos in the first place. He's the one that suggested having 3 spoos when we were thinking about adding to our poodle family. He is even resigned to his fate that our poodle pack will go back up to 3 in a few years. He occasionally groans about costs but he loves them all.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My husband loves our spoos and supports what I am doing. But he wouldn't put up the money for a lot of their expenses and rightfully so. He didn't make any agreements to be in on raising/breeding/showing spoos. It is on me with the help of Dianne to support my passion. He does love to spoil them though if I'm not looking!! Somehow, that doesn't seem fair...LOL I won't complain....he loves them and that's enough for me.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
at this home we have two hobbies Dogs and Cars.
We share them but he knows more about cars and I know more about dogs.

He is better at training the dogs then I am :) and I am better at giving them big hugs and taking care of them.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

He is better at training the dogs then I am :) and I am better at giving them big hugs and taking care of them.
This is us too. He taught Mia to sit when I couldn't do it even though I had tried over and over. Funny thing is that if Harry is getting in trouble with dad he will come to me to get out of it and give me his sad eyes. They are just like kids.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is us too. He taught Mia to sit when I couldn't do it even though I had tried over and over. Funny thing is that if Harry is getting in trouble with dad he will come to me to get out of it and give me his sad eyes. They are just like kids.
I guess that's like us too. He has snowmobiles/ATV's and I have dogs/horses. Unfortunately we both have expensive hobbies, but we enjoy them in moderation and we each try to enjoy/appreciate the other's interests (although we both think the other is a bit crazy at times! lol).

·
Registered
235 Posts
My xhusband was very opposed to ever having a dog. A month after he moved out I got my first spoo, schop. Best trade EVER. Now, 10+ years later, when he picks up the kids for a few hours on the weekend he makes sure one of our dogs goes with them. Our shar pei doesn't like him so when we got the boys he acted like HE got a dog. He picks up 3 kids and a dog. Pretty funny for a guy who can't see the point of having animals. I don't know if he will ever get himself a dog, but he bought balls and toys for MY spoos to play with at his house.

·
Registered
440 Posts
and he's always called them "Your dogs" (meaning *my* dogs, not HIS dogs...) but now that we have Lucybug, he's all ga-ga over her!
LOL! mine is totally the same too! he didn't like Ocsi at all when he first met him- but now he thinks he's the best dog ever! (and even sticks up for Ocsi when we go to 'grandma's house' who has two cats) guess who gets to roam the house and which kittys get locked in the bathroom :hail:
He'll walk Riki when I'm walking Paris, he doesn't mind me buying decent food, though he does utter things under his breath about it at times
totally! same here, he'll walk both of them while I'm out of town
mutter a little when I spend big $$ on top of the line kibble, but he cuddles right up to the cuties on the sofa :hug:
I've brought home on foster that 'he wanted nothing to do with', that 1/2 hr later are snuggled up under his jumper or on his lap!
He also didn't want us to get a cat, now the first thing he says when he get's in from work is 'where's MY baby cat'! :)
LOL- isn't it funny how they are like that? :rofl:

·
Registered
440 Posts
oh my gosh! us too! my bf is a huge car fan (he's put way more $$ into that car than I have into my dogs, its a show car after all!) but its soo funny to hear that other people are like us too! :dancing2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts