Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve put Martini( my 3 yr old rescue spoo ) in the pool 3 times now. She will tolerate it and cling to me but will swim only a short distance if near the steps and get out. I was hopping she would like it because I hate leaving her in the house while I’m in the pool because she cries. She likes to be on the deck when I’m in the pool but some days are just too hot for her not too cool off. I put her on a noodle and she relaxed the other day but as soon as I went near the steps, she was out.
06671E03-C1EE-47DE-9EEF-5B85218CE746.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
I started all my dogs in life vests. I got Pogo started with swimming by tossing a ball into the shallows and letting him wade out after it. I gradually tossed the ball further from shore until he figured out he needed to swim after it. From then on he was willing to go in if there was something to play with in the water or if he saw a favorite human close to shore in a kayak. He doesn't swim just for the sake of wallowing in water like a Lab or a Golden might.

Snarky never got comfortable with water. As a pup he slid off a wet rock and went in over his head. After that he was just nope nope nope. He would wade in from a sandy beach, when he could be 100% certain about the depth. No way would he trust stairs or jump in off a dock.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Poodles are marsh dogs, not open water dogs, so the average poodle is very happy wading but not very happy swimming. There are exceptions, of course. My own dog, Mia, does not enjoy swimming but loves water retrieving, especially against competition. During the recent holiday, we spent several hours at a lake, where she happily swam to retrieve bumpers. She was never excited about swimming pools, but enjoyed standing on the stairs if there was no "beach entry" available.

She also taught herself how to swim when she saw her friend, a terrier mix named Taffy, joyfully swimming in a river. Not to be outdone, Mia determinedly climbed down on to a rock at the water's edge, launched herself into the water, and swam the tiniest circle back to the rock. Over the next ten minutes, she gradually increased the size of the circle, practiced turning in the other direction, and finished by snaking through the water, returning to the rock each time. It was quite a demonstration of her willfulness, competitiveness, and good sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Poodles are marsh dogs, not open water dogs, so the average poodle is very happy wading but not very happy swimming.
Thank you for this! Peggy is a very happy wader and requires no prompting to get in the water, but she naturally seems to stop short of swimming. I've not felt inclined to push her.

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
For Martini, how about an umbrella for some shade, a bowl of ice to nose and lick, and a cooling mat? I think it's nice that she's content to wait on the side of the pool for you. Lots of dogs bark and bark and bark when their humans are swimming.

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
Poodles are marsh dogs, not open water dogs, so the average poodle is very happy wading but not very happy swimming. There are exceptions, of course. My own dog, Mia, does not enjoy swimming but loves water retrieving, especially against competition. During the recent holiday, we spent several hours at a lake, where she happily swam to retrieve bumpers. She was never excited about swimming pools, but enjoyed standing on the stairs if there was no "beach entry" available.

She also taught herself how to swim when she saw her friend, a terrier mix named Taffy, joyfully swimming in a river. Not to be outdone, Mia determinedly climbed down on to a rock at the water's edge, launched herself into the water, and swam the tiniest circle back to the rock. Over the next ten minutes, she gradually increased the size of the circle, practiced turning in the other direction, and finished by snaking through the water, returning to the rock each time. It was quite a demonstration of her willfulness, competitiveness, and good sense.
Somehow about five years ago I ended up acquainted with a bunch of old yankee duck hunters. They are quite aware that spoos started out as hunting dogs and therefore consider my boys to be Real Dogs. However, they very gently broke the news to me that poodles aren't really cold water dogs. Upland hunting in our area is fine, but the weather and water are just too cold for a poodle by the time waterfowl season rolls around in our area. I'll need a Lab if I want to go waterfowling. :unsure: I was amused by the concern, since duck hunting is pretty low on my bucket list.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Misha's the same way. He likes shallow water but I doubt he would readily swim unless he was following one of his buddies. When he's excited he throws caution to the wind though.

I do suspect that if he found deep water that was filthy enough, he would dive right in. He loves him some mud.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Somehow about five years ago I ended up acquainted with a bunch of old yankee duck hunters. They are quite aware that spoos started out as hunting dogs and therefore consider my boys to be Real Dogs. However, they very gently broke the news to me that poodles aren't really cold water dogs. Upland hunting in our area is fine, but the weather and water are just too cold for a poodle by the time waterfowl season rolls around in our area. I'll need a Lab if I want to go waterfowling. :unsure: I was amused by the concern, since duck hunting is pretty low on my bucket list.
Ha! They're probably right. When my spoos were young, they had no trouble in Wisconsin winters, but as they aged, they became more sensitive to wet-cold conditions. As long as the temp is above freezing, Mia is standing ankle deep in water.

I also did some hunt work with Mia when she was young. She loved it! I don't see many people here titling in hunting, but it's really special to see those instincts come out in your dog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My minis all wear life jackets and seem to enjoy swimming, though they can´t swim without some sort of flotation. Hope I could help you!

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Asta - swim are you kidding me? I don't even like to go out in the rain. Running through puddles - no way - I don't like wet paws. All this and we live on a lake where a poodle that swam would adore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine hate water in all form (including shower) except for drinking but they are natural swimmer. They swim good and well without a life vest but the only direction they will go is the stairs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Phoebe loves water! We have taken her to the lake several times and we have to watch her carefully because she will drive off the moving boat to go swimming! During this last spring she would go sit out in the rain or roll in each puddle that forms. We always have a vest on her at the lake in case something happens and it helps being able to see her while she swims. We have to be careful if we walk by a body of water during our walks as she will pull to jump in the water. 😂

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
The first time I took Tonka down to our beach he was terrified of the water.
I thought, well good... he doesn't like water, I won't have to dry him.
Went to the East Coast one year and he waded into the ocean as bold as brass.
Then I remembered he'd been raised in the Caribbean. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts