Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginger took my glasses - again! I left them for one second while I answered the phone and the next thing the lens was out, and Cassie was sharing the chewing. Forget the case - that's history! Why do poodles like to chew so much? And steal? Ginger always does it when I am on the phone. She will steal my sock or whatever. I've tried everything but this is an ongoing problem! This is the second pair of glasses they have ruined - its getting expensive. I usually am so careful where I put them but I was washing my eyes when the phone rang - I should have let it ring! darn though I shouldn't have to do this though - she's 3 years old not a puppy!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Poodles chew because they were bred for retrieving birds... in their mouths.

He sounds like he is too much for you to handle, maybe it's time for him to find another home?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Pamela:

It sounds like boredom to me. I would try to find some ways to keep her busy. I think you mentioned that you have some health problems that make it hard to walk the dogs? Have you ever tried the "chuck it", the thing that makes it easier to throw the ball? I bought one cuz I'm horrible at throwing the ball and it's easier on my shoulder.

Max starts looking for "new toys" when he gets shorted on exercise. We always notice this on days when I work or the weather is bad. We have work going on at the house and while I was at work, my husband saw Max running around the backyard with a roll of some kind of special paper the contractor left out. It was as if he took a roll or toilet paper by one end and ran all over with streams everywhere. When he gets a work out and some training, he mostly lounges around and stays out of trouble.

Some other ideas: I put some biscuits in the Kong for him to dig out. That occupies him for a while. My husband gave him this fuzzy thing that was meant to cover golf clubs? Not sure what it's called. He puts some treats in the bottom, then a tennis ball. Max will spend a lot of time working at it to get past the tennis ball to the treats.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips - there are certain things that ginger takes when I am busy or on the phone - my socks, my glasses, and she actually brings it near me so I can see what she is up to - she wants my attention!!!! She is naughty bu I love her. They do need more exercise and some new toys. Every time I buy toys though Teddy chews them up and I have to throw them away. The tread mill is here - now I just have to wait for someone to help my son upstairs with it (live upstairs) and we are putting it on the screen porch. Hope it works out!!! I figure even if they go on that for a while they will be too tired to pull me too much when we go on our short walk. Ginger is looking for a walk now but I just can't right now - I have to rest. poor baby. That's why I got Teddy for her - but do you think she will go up in the yard and run with him like he wants her to? of course not! She has a mind of her own! lol
Gigit - this time it was ginger not Teddy - he only chews if he is left alone. These poodles - they are smart!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Poodles chew because they were bred for retrieving birds... in their mouths.

He sounds like he is too much for you to handle, maybe it's time for him to find another home?
ARE YOU KIDDING...ITS A DOG, THAT'S WHAT SOME DOGS DO! YES, SOME BREED'S CHEW MORE THEN OTHERS AND FOR DIFFERENT REASONS. BECAUSE POODLES WERE ORIGINALLY BRED FOR BIRD HUNTING /RETRIEVING THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY HAVE A TENDANCY TO CHEW. CARRYING A BIRD IN THERE MOUTH THAT THEY'RE RETRIEVING FOR PEOPLE DOESN'T MEAN THEY CHEW ON IT.

"SOUNDS LIKE HE IS TOO MUCH TO HANDLE, MAYBE ITS TIME FOR ANOTHER HOME" ...... BECAUSE A DOG CHEWED HER GLASSES. THIS WAS HER FEMALE "GINGER" NOT HER MALE POODLE.

IF WE EVERYONE TOOK THAT ADVICE WE WOULDN'T HAVE ANY DOGS. :banghead:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I Agree!!! Surely Gigit Was Joking. You Don't Just Get Rid Of A Dog When They Get Into Trouble. Deal With It!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chewies

Since adopting Diana,she has eaten a diigital camera ,2 wallets including licenses and credit cards,rolled up sox,1 new Nike sneaker in the box,leather sandles,bath sponges,cat's poop from the box,my favorite wool driving cap and many rolls of T.P. Stange she won't tear up her stuffed toys,just hides them under the bed pillows. She has gone through a bedroom window after the letter carrier.NO blood from either. Yes, Have my hands full,But I still love her.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I Agree!!! Surely Gigit Was Joking. You Don't Just Get Rid Of A Dog When They Get Into Trouble. Deal With It!!!

Gigits suggestion wasn't a joke. In a few previous threads Pamela had shared some concerns for her boy Teddy. Teddy has been a hard boy to handle for Pamela. Pamela has asked for advise on what she should try with him.

However, Pamela would really like to get Teddy on the right track and make progress with him. Making a suggestion saying maybe its time to find him a new home because Gigit thought he chewed a pair of glasses was harsh.

Anyhow, thats all....

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Since adopting Diana,she has eaten a diigital camera ,2 wallets including licenses and credit cards,rolled up sox,1 new Nike sneaker in the box,leather sandles,bath sponges,cat's poop from the box,my favorite wool driving cap and many rolls of T.P. Stange she won't tear up her stuffed toys,just hides them under the bed pillows. She has gone through a bedroom window after the letter carrier.NO blood from either. Yes, Have my hands full,But I still love her.

OMG .... LOL SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL. GOOD THING SHE'S CUTE HUH!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't take my eyes or ears off of Rufus. He is always finding things to chew on. If someone leaves the bathroom door open then he goes in there and digs diapers out of the trash, ugh. He gets things off the kitchen counter. He goes into my daughters bedroom where she has a Chinese Crested puppy and steals his itty bitty toys. Puppies are a full time job and I'm getting too old for it! LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not a joke, she has tried to seek a new home for him in the past, there are daily threads dedicated to how frustrated she is with the dog, and has made many responses in threads in regards to what a difficult dog he is. Check the posting history, she seems very unhappy with him. She needs both shoulders replaced and cannot walk the dog because of the way he pulls his leash, and she sounds like she is at her wits end.

I don't think it's a crime if an animal doesn't fit to find a new more suitable home, especially if she has medical conditions that make training (such as walking) difficult. Honestly, he sounds wild based on her daily posts regarding his "activities," and I really feel for her. If things don't change for them and she cannot take the training advice, take him for walks to soothe his boredom, or take him to obedience training, I am afraid a new home is the only option. It's not fair to the dog either to keep him when it's obvious that the proper attention to training cannot be made.

To see what I mean about the complaints regarding the dog, and other posts by other members here suggesting she find a new home, please go her posting history:

http://www.poodleforum.com/search.php?searchid=10409

·
Registered
165 Posts
I will say, as fantastic as poodles are, and as easy to train, they are chewers, it's bred into them to be "mouthy." It's Finnigan's only problem, he chews everything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lady Diana, is your poodle a mini?

P.S. Yes, Curly Dog, Obama has won, and it's the best thing that could have happened to this country.

Back to topic...

·
Registered
912 Posts
T is only 17 weeks old and is teething so is chewing everything he can get his mouth around. Mostly me :eek: but everytime I look at that dog he is chewing something. Yesterday we were sitting outside with my parents and I noticed him chewing, went to retieve what ever it was out of his mouth and it was a piece of steel offcut from when we had our fence erected.

He is more toys than you can poke a stick at, soft fluffy ones, hard rubberised ones, soft kongs, cat toys that he steals from the cattery, you name it BUT his all time favourite is to steal the tea towels we leave hanging over the cupboard doors in the laundry and kitchen.

He quietly grabs one corner and then makes off with it at full speed, with his head held high and tail wagging furiously. The big game is to have some one give chase and if no-one does he will casually trot past in case you didn't see what he has absconded with. He always looks so proud of his great sneaky theivery that we laugh and give chase. He doesn't go far, it's just a bit of fun and then he gives it up without a fight.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had no intention of getting rid of Ginger - this is something she has always done to get my attention - else why would she bring it to me to show me she has it - she wants to play. Just wanted to get some action going on here its beed dead lately! lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts