Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We never were able to properly socialize our little guy. Winter and life got in the way during the first 6 months we had him. He's gotten better and will socialize with the dogs on our block.

He absolutely LOVES the Golden Doodle next door. I found out he's mostly poodle. Mom was a doodle and dad a spoo. It's hysterical to see them together since Gilligan fits entirely under the doodle. He actually cries when he sees him (versus whines) and will choke himself to try to get to him.

I've noticed he does have a preference for other poodles. Is yours the same?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely! I've noticed my guy has a strong preference for any curly haired poodle mix, but another full standard gets him very excited. The first time he played with another standard, I noticed they had a very different play style than he does with other breeds. The wrestle very gently and hoppy. It almost looked more like dancing.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yes poodles and poodle mixes. Especially fluffy white ones. He is good about not humping for the most part but he has a weakness for the fluffy whites. Doesn't matter age or gender. Just can't control his excitement. He plays best with similar sized poodles and mixes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lacey has never met another full poodle but I suspect she does have a preference for other poodles. There’s a golden doodle at the park that looks very poodle with curly hair that she took to quickly compared to other dogs she meets. She also has a yorkie poodle boyfriend. She cries and attempts to pull me over to his fence when we walk by his house, every time.
I suspect it would make her day to meet a purebred poodle, especially one 25 lb (11 kg) or smaller.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Strongly yes. Even if they don't LOOK like a poodle, the play style seems similar. Annie adores most doodles, has met very few other purebred poodles. She also likes any fluffy black dog (much to the derision of the local chow chow).

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is so funny--my mini poodle, who passed away recently, was very wary of bigger dogs, in particular, but not if they were poodles or poodle mixes like goldendoodles or labradoodles! I was convinced that he knew they were his cousins, or something--maybe there is a smell specific to poodles that they recognize?

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Peggy has minimal interest in poodles. She loves her big shaggy Briard friend, and was puppy besties with a Blue Heeler.

The only poodle she was really into was a wild little mini in her puppy class. Rudy. I think if she saw him again, she'd flip with joy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts