Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jessie loves to play, but it doesn't seem like she plays by herself that often. I'm not sure if that's because she's just content with the amount of playtime/exercise she's getting, or if it's because I need to train her to do it. I had to show her it was ok for her to run around our neighborhood dog park by herself... I rotate her toys so they stay fresh, and she has several different types. She always gets excited to see an old favorite again, but will abandon it in favor of being near me if I'm not actively playing with her. The only one she's ever played with by herself was a hol-ee roller in which I stuck a squeaky mouse catnip cat toy. However, once she explored it thoroughly, it's only value to her is to play fetch with me instead of playing with it on her own. She's not food motivated, so treat toys are out. She loves Healthy Edibles bones, but I'll give her 1/2 of a small one and she'll carry it around the house for a couple of weeks before she eats it either because she's extra hungry or bored. We call it her despiration bone ;)

What does your poodle do? Are you always involved in playtime?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Samson and Gigi NEVER play by themselves. They play with people or with other dogs but never on their own. Bruno on the other hand is perfectly happy to throw a toy around by himself and race all over the living room and chase his tail on his own... not sure why cause we was my 3rd dog so you’d think he would be the one dependent on having a playmate all the time but he’s always been like that. He will play with the other dogs also but if they just don’t feel like playing and want to nap he will just grab a toy and go on playing without them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jessie loves to play, but it doesn't seem like she plays by herself that often. I'm not sure if that's because she's just content with the amount of playtime/exercise she's getting, or if it's because I need to train her to do it. I had to show her it was ok for her to run around our neighborhood dog park by herself... I rotate her toys so they stay fresh, and she has several different types. She always gets excited to see an old favorite again, but will abandon it in favor of being near me if I'm not actively playing with her. The only one she's ever played with by herself was a hol-ee roller in which I stuck a squeaky mouse catnip cat toy. However, once she explored it thoroughly, it's only value to her is to play fetch with me instead of playing with it on her own. She's not food motivated, so treat toys are out. She loves Healthy Edibles bones, but I'll give her 1/2 of a small one and she'll carry it around the house for a couple of weeks before she eats it either because she's extra hungry or bored. We call it her despiration bone ;)

What does your poodle do? Are you always involved in playtime?
Now that Charlie the Poodle is 2.5 years old, he is still very playful with us and other dogs . However, he has been ignoring his toys for many months. If we are busy, he just positions himself as close as possible and sleeps.You reminded me to try switching the toys, I will do it and observe. We are retired and have many hours per day to devote to the entertainment of a Poodle. He loves being taken out for walks, especially on mountain trails and downtown. In our area of the British Columbia interior, dogs are welcome almost anywhere that food is not sold. Clothing and hardware stores have signs inviting dogs to visit. An 85 pound friendly, very calm Poodle is irresistible for most people out here, and he accepts all attention as his rightful due.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Mine does occasionally, not often, maybe once every few months and usually if the toy is new or just came back out from hiding. She’ll pick up a squeaky toy and squeak it while running around for a minute or two before taking it to her crate for a snooze.

I have the furnace repair man here and as I was paying the bill, Babykins came with a toy, squeaking it and wanted me to play fetch with her. She sometimes does this too.

We rotate toys to keep them fresh.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have had to put away most of Zoe's stuffed toys because Opal the Lab likes to eviscerate them. Zoe's great obsession are her tennis balls (small ones - just her size). While she prefers that we throw it for her to retrieve, she will toss it herself for hours on end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, I have two miniature poodles. My 16 month old rarely plays on his own. He will pick toys out of his basket and invite us or our other pup to play. My 10 month old loves to play and will happily select toys and amuse himself, but is equally happy to play with people other dogs or inanimate objects...he's just a pup who loves to play. I'm amazed that from a young age he would entertain himself. Our older poodle always had to be invited to play. So I think it really depends on the dog.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Lily often plays with stuffed toys on her own. Javelin rarely plays with any toys at all. They like to wrestle with each other as well. Lily actually prefers fetch to any type of play though

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
Peggy plays on her own in the backyard (supervised) or in her x-pen. Sometimes it looks like she's making up games and I wish I knew what she was thinking. I've caught her many times with all her toys out around her, lying on her back, waving her legs in the air while she battles one toy at a time in "slow motion." It very much reminds me of a toddler's imaginative games.

That said, if she's loose in the house she wants our attention. She'll bring us toys and if we don't engage will start looking for things to get into. I am very grateful for the x-pen.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lily often plays with stuffed toys on her own. Javelin rarely plays with any toys at all. They like to wrestle with each other as well. Lily actually prefers fetch to any type of play though
I wish I could see that! Our Charlie is terrible with fetch. He just doesn't see the point. He will humor us a few times, but then run to the ball and stand next to it staring at us. Then he turns his back and walks away

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
I wish I could see that! Our Charlie is terrible with fetch. He just doesn't see the point. He will humor us a few times, but then run to the ball and stand next to it staring at us. Then he turns his back and walks away

Have you tried using two highly valued toys? We can get into quite a good fetch rhythm with her bringing us toy 1, then us throwing toy 2, then her bringing back toy 2, then us throwing toy 1, etc. It's great because she offers up "drop it" behaviour without us even having to ask.

Of course, the game breaks down when she decides to take toy 1 to fetch toy 2 and then stands there like a fool trying to fit both in her mouth. ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jessie sometimes does this when we play fetch, except she'll pick up the ball/toy and run a few steps to me and stop. Then I just walk away from her first and she comes running after me and wants to play more. Or sometimes I'll run away and hide when she's fetching and turn the game into hide and seek ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Norman prefers to play with me, but will play by himself every once in a while and not often and when he does it lasts maybe 5 minutes... I wish he did sometimes, but I think maybe your pup is like Norman where they just dont want to play alone!!
I am sure you can train your baby to play on her own if you want but I think they will just do it when they feel like it! I think because since I got Norm I was always involved in his play time, unless it was nap time. To me, that just trained him that "mommy playtime" is the best and only!! When I dont want to play with Norm (working/napping/whatever) he either sets a ball on my lap and stares at me or he will nap. I think just playing with their humans is more fun!! :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Norman prefers to play with me, but will play by himself every once in a while and not often and when he does it lasts maybe 5 minutes... I wish he did sometimes, but I think maybe your pup is like Norman where they just dont want to play alone!!
I am sure you can train your baby to play on her own if you want but I think they will just do it when they feel like it! I think because since I got Norm I was always involved in his play time, unless it was nap time. To me, that just trained him that "mommy playtime" is the best and only!! When I dont want to play with Norm (working/napping/whatever) he either sets a ball on my lap and stares at me or he will nap. I think just playing with their humans is more fun!! :)
Of course! People are the best entertainment, put on this earth for the sole purpose of playing with Poodles

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you tried using two highly valued toys? We can get into quite a good fetch rhythm with her bringing us toy 1, then us throwing toy 2, then her bringing back toy 2, then us throwing toy 1, etc. It's great because she offers up "drop it" behaviour without us even having to ask.

Of course, the game breaks down when she decides to take toy 1 to fetch toy 2 and then stands there like a fool trying to fit both in her mouth.
Hey, that is a great idea. I will try it for those sad days when none of Charlie 's friends are at the dog park. He wanders aimlessly, then keeps coming and staring intently at me :"what's wrong with you!?!? Why don't you phone Cathy/Karen/Vic etc and TELL them to bring me some dogs to play with?"

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Jazz likes to chew on Nylabones and those unstuffed cloth toys (Skinz?). Blue likes those, too, but his all-time favorite is a squeaky tennis ball. He lies on his back, holds it in his mouth, and turns it over and over with his paws, or he'll just lie in the floor and squeak it, over and over and... When we have guests, after the first excitement dies down, he brings his ball to them and offers it quietly--I think it's his doggie equivalent of offering them a glass of wine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts