Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of mine adore a tennis ball. Good thing they are cheap because they ruin them.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I need to get some more. Roxy do the balls you mentioned bounce? I've noticed many tennis balls made for pets, don't have the bounce, so the dogs don't like them as much. Harley loves his migrators and Paddy likes them so much I sent one home w/ him.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We bought a bunch of tennis balls at the dollar store this summer... 4 of 4 colors in a giant pack, and they were like 3 bucks. Good deal. They aren't SUPER bouncy (I mean, they're from the dollar store, after all!) however they're pretty thick and heavy, so they haven't been torn up as easily. i.e. skinned by ProblemChild.

I did buy Perry a little Orbee ball (it looked like the earth... and yes, I DID sing, "He's got the whole world in his paws" when we got in the car, don't judge me!), however it was unceremoniously stolen by every single dog in the house and is now lost! But I would say it was worth the cost, as it had bounce, as well as was quite tough!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy only likes them if Casey is playing and sets in down then its game on for them as Mandy is a big tease.
Casey is a ball, stick, frisbee, any toy obsessed dog. Loves to play with anyone who will willingly or not so willingly throw said toy for him.

Actually he is doing realy good with Catch it now to so I just bougth 2 soft new frisbees today for him to try.

Oh his flying squirrel is the worst if he can see it but can't get it he wines and don't any DOG dare touch his squirrel

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't know yet, but we got some mini-tennis balls at the pet store yesterday for when we bring him home.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Yes, yes and did I mention YES???? Lucy LOVES tennis balls!! Meau will play with them if Lucy has one, the other two dogs aren't as interested. Lucy likes lots of different toys, but it seems like tennis balls have a special place in her heart! :lol:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Romeo is a ball nut and I never go to the park without my chuckit. ;) But, he prefers soft squeaky balls to tennis balls. Brandy doesn't really like to play ball. She doesn't ever get dirty, even when she is running through the mud and wet sand with the boys. My two cream colored dogs become two toned (cream/grey) and she is squeaky clean with barely any dirt on the paw pads. She also doesn't pick up ball that's cover in send, if she does, she'll grab it with her teeth, shake it and then drop it in disgust. She is just too much of a lady.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The chuckit is the best invention ever! Harry will go far and has learned to turn as the ball turns if it's a bad throw.:lol:

Cbrand, I agree with you.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Not really. He likes the squeaky dog tennis balls though. Riley doesnt like to play fetch for too long with anything, but esp. a plain ball (he would rather be chased with the ball).

I dont like plain tennis balls as they wear the teeth down. I hope my next poodle will have a strong retreiving instinct, and i would like to get her into balls. Ill use something besides tennis balls though.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond pretty much freaks out about anything that bounces. :) Tennis balls are a favorite, but just because we have a lot of them... Racket balls, ping pong balls, footballs, and anything else like it he likes just as much if not more. We don't let him have the small ones though, he'd try and fit 7 Nerf balls in his mouth if he could. ;)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Someone told me real tennis balls are dangerous if the dog is allowed to play with them unsupervised. Something about the core being a choking hazard, IIRC.

I buy the doggie tennis balls, of all sizes except for the super small ones. Teddy even loves playing with the ones that are way too large for his little mouth. He manages to get some of the fabric loose to act as a handle. I first bought the large ones to keep them from rolling under the TV stand in the living room, but they've somehow managed to find their way under the bed in my bedroom.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Harry chewed up a small dog tennis ball and it has the same core as the regular tennis balls. A lot of "dog" products are commercialized so that they can charge more for the same thing because it's labeled for dogs.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The ones I bought are hollow, and they squeak. The only thing they have in common with real tennis balls is the fabric cover. I did buy one of those solid ones, but it was too heavy for Teddy to pick up, so it's gone.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm, my son plays tennis and he told me that tennis balls are hollow. We have always bought the dog ones because they are cheap but according to my son there's no difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts