Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 toy poodles. Only one male, almost a year old, likes to chew on my bedspread. Even after I sew up the holes, he is back at it again. I would like any suggestions on what to do to make him stop. I have nyla bones and chew toys I give him, but those are only tempory solutions.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Casey male standard poodle just over 18 months is still crated ( xpen actually) because nothing with stuffing is safe including couches. He is fine on ablanket for a couple days but then figures its his so destroys it so now he just gets fleese blankets.
We keep many bones around and I try to get new ones to keep it fresh.
not sure he will be ever left out unfortunatly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Meauzer LOVES to chew! Everything from her food bowl, to stuffy toys, and even carpet. Her all time favorite chewy thing would have to be tags, though. Tags on toys, tags on blankets, tags on shirts, she adores munching away at them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Fonzie loves chewing on soft toys. He's destroyed 2 small soft stuffed bears and taken the sqeakers out of them (no more of those for him!). He also loves the soft tug ropes and those last much longer. Have you tried them? They're fabric, so they might appeal to your dog. I also provide nylabones, which he'll chew on from time-to-time.

Anytime you catch your dog chewing on something inappropriate, scold him and give him an appropriate toy to take its place, which will also distract him from the destructive behavior. Praise like crazy when he starts chewing on the toy you want him to have. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I didn't think about giving him a substitute. Alot of his bad behavior happens in the middle of the night while I am trying to sleep. I guess I need to give him his toy right before bedtime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts