Poodle Forum banner

Does your poodle laugh?

880 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ShamrockPoodle 
#1 ·
Mia definitely has a sense of humor and I swear she laughs. I don't know what science says about laughing dogs, but a friend of mine swears her PWD laughs also.

There are two things that make Mia laugh, AFAIK. The first is when she mistakes a fallen tree limb for a prey animal and rushes after it. I swear she comes back laughing at herself. The second is when we play hide and seek in the house. I start her off in a down stay in one room, then go hide somewhere else. Sometimes while she's searching, I sneak around and hide in the spot where she was in her down stay. She thinks it's hilarious every time!

As for my friend and her dog, there's a certain trail in our area that involves crossing a river on a fallen tree. Her dog laughs when he knocks her off the tree into the water. I have to admit, that would make me laugh, too! It would seem that dog humor is mostly slapstick, around the level of The Three Stooges.

#10 ·
I feel like I’ve learned so much since you originally posted this thread! Peggy is such a good teacher.

My updated thoughts on this topic: I think Peggy gets a kick out of certain things we find funny, which might be interpreted as having a sense of humour. But the closest she comes to laughing would be her sneezes during play. You know the kind of sneezes I’m talking about? They defuse tension and seem to say, “We’re just having a bit of fun here! No hard feelings!”

#14 ·
Interesting .... and yes absolutely think it's true.
Certainly can see 'mirth' in Poppy's eyes, laughing eyes.
And some actions during play indicate something along the lines of humour.
Well, enjoyment beyond a wagging tail.

One thing sticks with me, our old dog Kipper did several things that indicated humour - beyond mischief.
We were playing rough and tumble.
At some point he got hold of my big toe.
He held my toe between his canines, no actual pressure not biting down, but just as a lose 'clamp'.
I simply could not extract my toe, he simply held his teeth at a point where the gap was too small for me to release myself.
As I lay there on the floor at his mercy, the look in his eyes was clearly one of humour.