Poodle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think your Peggy "got it" too, at least that time, given her body language.
She's been a total lamb since it happened. Very meek by Peggy standards. I'm going to continue rewarding her for gentle communications and we'll see how it goes.

The backyard is just such a fun place for her this time of year: Lush grass to explore. A sunny deck to lay on. Birds and neighbours and her kiddie pool.

If she had her way, she'd be outside most of every day, but I don't like leaving her out there unless I'm within hearing distance. So unfortunately she can't get her way all the time.

She has plenty of toys and chews and places to relax with her people inside, so she's not exactly suffering. But good luck convincing her of that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lol!

Here's Peggy doing her version of the poodle push:

View attachment 467689

She pushes so hard, she pushes herself upright until she's almost tipping over backwards.
Love her colors! She is a full Parti! My girl just has one paw and under another back foot with white.
My Piper does the same thing! Myself and many others have been scratched by this behavior but know that she does it completely for attention, when she is excited. She is trained to nose bump me to alert me for certain sounds but not the smacking! I have held her paws after she has done this and told her NO! Or Stop! But then she does it again when in the recliner and we are behind it. She has toppled the chair over several times and scared both of us, and that has not stopped it. She’s super smart and SUPER headstrong! Headstrong is winning for now. Keeping those nails short and oiling her pads has helped!

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My girl just has one paw and under another back foot with white.
My goodness, that paw is CUTE.

And I've never heard of oiling pads, so thank you very much for that tip! Peggy's are painfully rough, but they do help give her some traction on our floors. She nevertheless had a bad wipeout yesterday when I let her inside with wet feet.

As far as headstrong goes....I sure can relate. I try to reframe it as being smart enough to remember what has worked and what therefore might work again. Gotta love that poodle persistence!

Luckily, since that bad whack yesterday Peggy's continuing to paw only very gently. And she's got a new one: Leaning in so close we both practically go cross-eyed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Oh Wren slaps with his paws a all the time. It rarely hurts me but my 83 year old mother lives with us and he can easily hurt her so I try to redirect when he is around mom. She is an experienced dog owner (had Bouviers) but now has dementia and some balance issues so I worry about him making her fall. I get nose bump too but it’s the paw smacks that get you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We taught Raffi to do 'high five' when he was little (which is a pretty gentle motion), and then later taught him to stand on his back feet and put his front paws on my forearm when I held it out.
Now when he is trying to get our attention he still usually puts his paws on an arm, or sometimes a leg- but still with that same "stand (or sit) up and then place paws" kind of motion.
He is often known to gently put his paws on my or my daughter's arm and gaze soulfully into our eyes...
Though since I taught him "center" (between my legs position) he does that a lot if we are standing up instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh yes, haha! Odin generally nose bumps and “punches” with a paw when he wants attention. I’ve never had another dog do this, but he always has. It’s not usually too bad, but he goes too far sometimes trying to pull a hand or arm over to pet him with his paw. He doesn’t seem to understand how rough his feet are!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts