Does your poodle have a hula hoop?

• Yep!

• Not yet!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
14,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking we could have some fun with hula hoops when Trick Club resumes in September. I grabbed Peggy’s from a bin at Walmart for only a few bucks. It’s slightly smaller than standard, which makes it easy to store.

·
Administrator
14,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zoe's hoop is about 15 inches in diameter. I am teaching her to jump through it on command. Not much success yet.
I bet you’ll have some good progress to share with us in September! Peggy’s toppled over and bopped her on the butt the other day. She was a little wary after that, but we seem to be back on track.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Oooh I’ve been wanting to teach Phoebe to hop thru a hoop. We don’t have a hula hoop but do have swimming rings that will work.

·
Super Moderator
5,295 Posts
Galen has one. I didn't actually buy it. For some reason I never understood my sister in law bought one and left it with us. I spotted it gathering dust in the corner of the garage and decided it was something for Galen to play with.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I have fond hoop memories... at the dog yard we used to have a musical hoops game that we played. On occasion I would work Sailor and Chante' as a brace. They were so good at the game that they could squeeze into a single hoop together faster than any single dog. I think the two dogs together were a bit intimidating, or maybe it was just that Chante' was 32 pounds of "Just try me!" I loved that game. I remember that the way I got the poodles used to the hoop was I put their food and water bowls inside the hoop for about a week, before I even picked it up.

·
Administrator
14,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have fond hoop memories... at the dog yard we used to have a musical hoops game that we played. On occasion I would work Sailor and Chante' as a brace. They were so good at the game that they could squeeze into a single hoop together faster than any single dog. I think the two dogs together were a bit intimidating, or maybe it was just that Chante' was 32 pounds of "Just try me!" I loved that game. I remember that the way I got the poodles used to the hoop was I put their food and water bowls inside the hoop for about a week, before I even picked it up.
That’s very impressive!

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
All they do is jump thru, but every day I'm required to be ringmaster of The Poodle Brothers Flying Circus or I get severely wiggled at and licked 🎪

Two trouble spots tho. First is the beans or rocks or whatever that makes the noise inside the hoop. They don't like it so the hoop must stay still. The other is that they just keep taking turns flying thru and if I accidentally shift higher or offside and they get a bit crashy, that they also don't like. They don't actually tumble or anything, but even grazing the hoop is cause for poodles to stop, sit, and be small. Enough chicken gets them back on track.

·
Administrator
14,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We're talking minis and toys here, right? The hoops I've seen would be way too small for Meisha to jump through.
Nope! Spoos, too. The hula hoops I generally see are 30-something inches (like this one or this one) and would be perfect. But Peggy’s is actually quite small. It’s only 20 inches across, so she has to be very precise:

(It used to be covered in glittery foil, but I wanted to be able to just leave it outside.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.