Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your poodle has been resting quietly, watching you scroll on your phone for 45 minutes. What do you do?

Your poodle is running around the dining room table with your [insert household item here]. What do you do?

A few months ago, Peggy started stealing throw pillows. Sooooo annoying. She wasn’t doing any damage to them, but who wants to snuggle up with a poodle-mouthed pillow? I tried everything from a firm “No” to spraying them with vinegar to hiding them. Zero success.

Eventually it occurred to me that she wasn’t especially interested in the pillows themselves. She was simply bored and trying to get my attention, and it was working every single time! So I gritted my teeth and ignored her pillow antics, even going so far as to walk away.

That kinda worked, but not 100%.

So what did work? Feigning disinterest in the thefts and making a conscious effort to pay more attention to Peggy’s good behaviour.

Thanks to that magical combination of negative punishment (removing attention) and positive reinforcement (giving attention), it’s been weeks since I last saw a pillow in a poodle’s mouth.

“Quality time” is Peggy’s love language, which to her means literally any time spent engaging in an activity together, whether it’s play or training or listening to me narrate while I do the laundry. She’s really not asking for much. But the key is to initiate these activities while she’s still asking for them in a polite way....even if that asking looks like nothing more than snoozing at my feet.

If I can’t spare the time, I reward her with a freshly stuffed Kong Wobbler, or a chew, or a lounge on the deck.

So tell me: Does your poodle get more attention when they’re “good” or when they’re “bad”?

·
Registered
Tuck the Miniature Poodle, May 2021
216 Posts
I try really hard to capture calm and reward it as much as I can, but I’m definitely guilty of missing it more often than I’d like. Especially because at the stage we’re in right now “bad” behaviour is almost always biting and if he doesn’t get a reaction from me (which is rare because he’s a persistent little land shark) he goes for the kids next and obviously I can’t ignore that so I have to intervene 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ziggy absolutely grabs an item he isn't supposed to have when he wants attention. Usually a shoe.

When he does this I run and grab one of his toys and run away from him yelling the name of the toy. I try to act like it's the most fun thing in the world and the shoes are never ever fun. I'm hoping that when he wants attention he will start grabbing toys instead of bad things.

The down side of this is whenever he grabs a toy, I feel like I have to play with him to reward his good decision.

·
Administrator
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ziggy absolutely grabs an item he isn't supposed to have when he wants attention. Usually a shoe.

When he does this I run and grab one of his toys and run away from him yelling the name of the toy. I try to act like it's the most fun thing in the world and the shoes are never ever fun. I'm hoping that when he wants attention he will start grabbing toys instead of bad things.

The down side of this is whenever he grabs a toy, I feel like I have to play with him to reward his good decision.
That’s very similar to what I was doing at first, except I was also consistently waving her away if she brought a toy. So I was essentially teaching her to grab the pillow if she wanted to play because it guaranteed results. D’oh.

·
Administrator
14,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try really hard to capture calm and reward it as much as I can, but I’m definitely guilty of missing it more often than I’d like. Especially because at the stage we’re in right now “bad” behaviour is almost always biting and if he doesn’t get a reaction from me (which is rare because he’s a persistent little land shark) he goes for the kids next and obviously I can’t ignore that so I have to intervene 🤦🏻‍♀️
At that age I think it’s almost entirely about redirection, because there’s a lot of stuff you can’t just ignore.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
I really do praise my dogs a lot, and I believe that’s why they are so well behaved. They both are very eager to please.

But I also discipline them, never physically of course, but with my voice and gestures (non-threatening) when they do something inappropriate. They do understand it.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,877 Posts
I live alone, so I set all the rules. Elroy is a very good boy almost all the time. There are a few behaviors that I allow, for a short while anyway, that others wouldn't tolerate. The only things I can think of that he does inside that he really shouldn't are as follows:
1) He'll take a throw pillow and chew on it. He does this probably a couple of times a week. The only one he really likes has a frilly border. I let him play with it a little while (a minute or so), then I'll trade it for an acceptable toy. I've given him throw pillows I consider acceptable for him to chew, but he only has interest in the one with the fringed edge.
2) He will take a sock from inside my sneaker, and proudly wave it in front of me as he goes to another part of the room to enjoy chewing on it. He never ruins them. I usually keep an eye on him and take it away right after he stops enjoying it (maybe 3+ minutes later). He does this a couple of times a week also. I actually could put them into the closet so that he can't get them, but I am trying to train him to be OK with them being in the room. If I catch him about to take one, I'll give him a verbal "ught-uhhh!" with a waving finger, and he'll usually leave it.
3) Zoomies. I allow him to get it out of his system. He doesn't run into things or knock things over. Usually he has the Zoomies like 5 times a week, usually after dark around 9pm.

I'd definitely say I give him more attention when he's being good. I'm rewarding him with praise and attention very often. He is hardy ever bad.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think the trick is to figure out an acceptable way for the dog to communicate 'i'm bored' or 'i need...'

Annie hits her food dish or rustles in the corner to tell me she is hungry. Is that 'bad'? Maybe, but I appreciate it.

She knocks her head at my hand or on my laptop keyboard for attention. She even managed to accidentally hit the power button the other day. Turns out, she needed to pee! Good poodle, not bad poodle.

Trixie picks up ANYTHING left on the floor and dances with it in her mouth when happy to see someone or wants something. Even 'Wow, human, you came down from upstairs!'. Sometimes what she picks up isn't ideal (our fault for having it on the floor) but it's better than happy growling, which used to scare people. She also barks at me and mom if she is hungry, and scratches mom. I don't rewards scratching, so she doesn't scratch me. But - I find it really helpful to know she wants something (even if occasionally annoying).

So - stealing stuff. Not so good. Annie digging in the corner and pulling out my backpack where I left food? Not so good. (Result - I open bag for her, give her a treat, put bag away, ignore again. If she nudges me for food, I often hand feed her on the couch- more attentioj). Figuring out how to encourage 'good' communication is the challenge.

I don't view most attempts to communicate under a good or bad lens. I leave a backpack with high value treats on the floor? Of course the dogs going to root through it. I am BORING - of course dog is going to try to get between me and the screen, and yeah, maybe I have spent too much time on it.

I had a friend recently remark that when I am on the phone, I often say something like 'Annie says it's time for bed' or 'Annie says it's time for supper' or 'Annie says I need to go for a walk'. He was kinda disapproving, like I, as the human, should be setting the schedule. But honestly? That's her number one job in my house! To keep me moving and active and doing things.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If Evelyn is "bad" Evelyn gets put away. It's the same way my mom broke me of tantrums. It may not teach him what I don't like, but it doesn't reinforce it either. But Evelyn has always been a very good boy. He doesn't chew inappropriately, he doesn't steal, and until recently he didn't bark. He has never bitten or nipped.

But I also don't mind some things others might. I like seeing him get zoomies and almost all of his zoomies are triggered by me. Since we didn't have an outdoors for so long indoors was approved. He likes to lick and I will let him lick me for as long as I don't need the hand he's licking, but he knows what no means and respects it. He occasionally jumps up, but he's so slow and gentle about it that I allow it and even encourage it at times. Then I'm done I gently lower him down and it's over. He isn't allowed to jump on others and he's generally good about that unless he's very excited or the inadvertently make a similar gesture to the one I make to get him to do it.

I like it when he tells me what he wants, so if it isn't a good time I'll give it to him for a little bit before putting him away so he don't extinguish the behavior. As long as he's gentle it's ok. A friend had a dog that would nudge her so hard when he wanted pets that he left bruises, Evelyn is very gentle and will accept no. He'll sulk a bit though.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
I do play short games of tug/toss and have short training sessions through the day. I’m generous with my praise. But I’m also on zoom meetings, read and watch tv where I don’t or can’t “play “ with them.

Both of my minipoos don’t have access to shoes or socks or tissues/paper towels when young etc so some of the things that dogs get into trouble aren’t available.

They don’t mess with pillows or throws. I have stuff on the ottoman and end tables which is ignored. The worst thing Theo my puppy does is to play with the bath mats I have scattered in front of couches and beds. He will roll them up or drag them to a new location. It’s annoying when the mat isn’t in place for take off and landings from the couch. I had to put furniture on these little mats to keep them from wandering too far.

Babykins was terrible at retrieving, I would toss a toy, she would run out and pick it up and then run away with it, the same way the dogs above run off with treasured socks or underwear. Sadly for her I never chased her … it’s a toy, I didn’t care. I might have been enticed to chase if she had something dangerous or important.

Theo went through a phase of trying to counter surf very intensely last 2 weeks with no success. With zero rewards he stopped….for now at least.

I’m not always 100% successful but I try to limit chances of behavior I don’t want, especially with a young dog.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Luka and I are working at no barking or growling in front of the window. If he starts barking at the window and doesn’t stop then I go over and sit behind him at the window and tell him there is no scary. Then when he is quietly looking out I praise him and give him a treat. It seems to be working and he definitely gets it. Recently he was standing in front of the window being quiet and discretely checking to see if I noticed. Well I did notice and said Good Boy! Being Quiet at the window! And got the treats out. He seemed so proud even though he was facing the window with the curtains closed ha ha ha. Didn’t matter to me as he clearly understands what is expected. The barking at the window still happens but are much more discreet more buffing and less barking LOL.

·
Premium Member
Beignet 4 year old toy apricot poodle and Louis-Louie Debonaire, silver toy poodle!
68 Posts
Your poodle has been resting quietly, watching you scroll on your phone for 45 minutes. What do you do?

Your poodle is running around the dining room table with your [insert household item here]. What do you do?

A few months ago, Peggy started stealing throw pillows. Sooooo annoying. She wasn’t doing any damage to them, but who wants to snuggle up with a poodle-mouthed pillow? I tried everything from a firm “No” to spraying them with vinegar to hiding them. Zero success.

Eventually it occurred to me that she wasn’t especially interested in the pillows themselves. She was simply bored and trying to get my attention, and it was working every single time! So I gritted my teeth and ignored her pillow antics, even going so far as to walk away.

That kinda worked, but not 100%.

So what did work? Feigning disinterest in the thefts and making a conscious effort to pay more attention to Peggy’s good behaviour.

Thanks to that magical combination of negative punishment (removing attention) and positive reinforcement (giving attention), it’s been weeks since I last saw a pillow in a poodle’s mouth.

“Quality time” is Peggy’s love language, which to her means literally any time spent engaging in an activity together, whether it’s play or training or listening to me narrate while I do the laundry. She’s really not asking for much. But the key is to initiate these activities while she’s still asking for them in a polite way....even if that asking looks like nothing more than snoozing at my feet.

If I can’t spare the time, I reward her with a freshly stuffed Kong Wobbler, or a chew, or a lounge on the deck.

So tell me: Does your poodle get more attention when they’re “good” or when they’re “bad”?
so smart I have to practice more of this!

·
Registered
293 Posts
My cockapoo has two sounds to get attention. One is for play with me. The other is a demand you do some. When she does that one, I run through a list of words and she barks when she hears the one she wants. She knows walk, outside, food, and water.
My spoo puppy has his own way of getting attention. He holds his front paws up to get you to pick him up. That means he was to cuddle or be near you on the couch. If he starts nipping at you, that means he either wants to go out or wants food. If you say the one he wants he does this jump move. When he wants to play, he brings his toys near you so you will tell him how cute he is and play with him.
If he is chewing on my desk chair, that means he can't find his favorite toy or he wants you to bring it next to you so he can sit next to you and chew.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Bobby is quite a thief and I’m sure I didn’t help. I wouldn’t say he necessarily gets more attention because he gets plenty but it’s guaranteed that he gets immediate attention because his thievery often involves things I can’t just ignore so therefore he gets immediate attention and Bobby wins the
game.🤣😉 🤪

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
My cockapoo has two sounds to get attention. One is for play with me. The other is a demand you do some. When she does that one, I run through a list of words and she barks when she hears the one she wants. She knows walk, outside, food, and water.
My spoo puppy has his own way of getting attention. He holds his front paws up to get you to pick him up. That means he was to cuddle or be near you on the couch. If he starts nipping at you, that means he either wants to go out or wants food. If you say the one he wants he does this jump move. When he wants to play, he brings his toys near you so you will tell him how cute he is and play with him.
If he is chewing on my desk chair, that means he can't find his favorite toy or he wants you to bring it next to you so he can sit next to you and chew.
Being able to let you know whether she wants walk, outside, food, or water is adorable! However, be careful what you are rewarding, unless you want more of it! For example - do you want more nipping, or more chewing on your desk chair?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The trick is to find out what it is! I ask my Spoo. He raises a paw and waves at shat he wants!
Do you want to go outside? (nothing)
Do you want to go for a walk? ( nothing)
Do you want to do training? .... Lift and wave paw!!!!
Ok, lets do it!

(Or it could be to have a game, or a treat, or even to go upstairs to bed!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.