Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I went away for the weekend and brought Jäger with us. This is the first time we have traveled with him. I have owned dogs before, but I have never experienced what I experienced this weekend! We stayed in the only pet-friendly hotel in the area and would walk him up and down the boardwalk in the evenings. Everywhere we went, people would either comment to us ("Nice looking dog!" "Beautiful poodle!" "How cute, what kind of dog is that?") or come up and ask to pet him and talk to us, either about how much they liked him or how the way he walks (typical poodle prance) or to tell us about their poodles. We even met one sweet older couple who have a black miniature female at home. They were so taken with Jäger, seeing him and petting him and talking to us really made their day! We promised to take the same walk the next night around the same time and there they were sitting on the same bench, waiting for Jäger!

I think at least 50 people approached us over the course of two days. I couldn't believe it! It was a lot of fun and Jäger loves attention, so we all had a blast.

Is this just how it is with poodles? I really have never experienced anything quite like it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't yet own a standard, but I often approach those that do. There is just something magical about standard poodles. It's almost as if I need to speak to the poodle's people to see if the breed is as awesome as it looks. The answer is always a loud and resounding "yes!" I look forward to the day that someone approaches us about our poodle!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I should have included that ALL poodles are magical and regal...I have standards on the brain since we are adopting our first poodle in a month :doh:

My grandmother had a white miniature poodle when I was a child. She would take him for Sunday afternoon drives and I remember lots of folks at a local park would walk up to her and ask to pet him. He was a sweet fellow and was always willing to let strangers pet him. She used to put a red ribbon on his collar and he would prance as if he knew how good he looked!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We get the same thing, I think you just don't see them as much as other breeds so when people see them they are drawn to them we get a lot of I have never seen a big one before. We take them camping with us all the time and it great how many people you get have a conversation with that if it were not for the dogs you would never have met I just love it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally agreed! We never would have met that wonderful couple had it not been for the dog.

It's funny, Jäger is a miniature and I think his size confuses everyone! Some people ask, "Isn't he big for a poodle?" and some ask, "Wow, isn't he small?"

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Our girls are show-stoppers, that's for sure! Before we had Lucy, hubby and I were taking Meau for a walk and a car that was driving down the road dove into the parking lane next to where we were walking and rolled their passenger side window down so they could talk to us about her! Meau is not a beautiful dog to most people who know what a standard poodle is SUPPOSED to look like (of couse she's beautiful to US because she's part of the family!) But that didn't stop this woman from oohing and ahhing over her! :)

It never fails when we have the girls in PetSmart or other pet supply stores here in town but that we get stopped multiple times for people who want to talk to us about them! Hubby was walking with Lucy in her continental clip on a walking path near the river and a couple of young girls came up to him and asked if Lucy was a "French Poodle"?? He explained that she was a "German Poodle" and the girls did this... :wacko:

:lol:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hubby was walking with Lucy in her continental clip on a walking path near the river and a couple of young girls came up to him and asked if Lucy was a "French Poodle"?? He explained that she was a "German Poodle" and the girls did this... :wacko:

:lol:
LOL, that is so funny! I love all the things people say about my poodle. This weekend, one woman said "He walks like he has clouds for feet."

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do outside art shows. Sometimes I bring both Lautrec & Toulouse to the show. They are a bigger distraction than we ever would have thought. I say distraction because people are more interested in them than my work. It is tough enough to make a sale in this economy and bringing the boys does not make it any easier... they do enjoy the attention and going out to dinner. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
People in our area always stop and comment about Sam because of his parti coloring. Even trainers of many years and experience ask about it.
Then they comment on how huge his paws are!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wherever we go, Captain is admired. He's a lovely little guy, and has a great personality. I love to go for walks with him, only because he shows off to the best of his looks and personality while "prancing."

·
Registered
114 Posts
We get lots of attention when we take the girls out (the 2 standards, especially). We have travelled quite a bit with them this spring, and they made many new friends, especially at my daughter's softball games. It seems like little girls really want to meet and pet them, one little girl called them "princess dogs", I thought that was really cute. And yes, lots of folks ask what kind of dog Claire is, they have never seen a parti, so I always take the time to educate them on the different colors, parti's, phantoms, sables, etc. I think the girls love all of the attention too!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Oh yes I might as well have Brad Pitt on a leash.

People have stop there cars in the middle of the street to take pictures.
a lot of people slow down to stare. Some stop to admire them and so on.
And when I take them all 3 out for a walk people drop there jaw.
And when I meet people that do not stop they always say things like "OMG look at that dog" and so on..

So yes my dogs cause a stir :p

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Diet coke just came out of my nose.

Teddy can't walk down the street without a million people stopping to talk to him or pet him. And he loves it. He's such a little attention whore. :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Diet coke just came out of my nose.

Teddy can't walk down the street without a million people stopping to talk to him or pet him. And he loves it. He's such a little attention whore. :D
hehehe I would prefer the real Brad Pitt but Charly comes close in good looks.

He is the only spoo in Iceland in Continental clip so he is unique :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
We get stopped where ever we go and with Poppy being a parti and a standard we get all kinds of questions- isn't she big for a poodle, is that a poodle dalmation cross. She loves the attention. One time a young man driving a Ford F-250 with way oversized tires stopped his truck just to ask what type of dog she was.

Here there are very few standard poodles, I have only seen 3 others within the last year, and people are just mesmorized with Poppy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am getting that in my shop with Glader. Every one seems surprised, because they have never seen a standard pup before.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts

People have stop there cars in the middle of the street to take pictures.
a lot of people slow down to stare. Some stop to admire them and so on.
And when I take them all 3 out for a walk people drop there jaw.
And when I meet people that do not stop they always say things like "OMG look at that dog" and so on..

So yes my dogs cause a stir :p
Okay Winnow...if you ever get Brad Pitt on a leash, I will figure out a way to get to Iceland!! Let me know, okay?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It is a million times worse when you are walking a standard poodle dyed like a lion, seahorse, pony or camel. People are clicking their cameras while driving real slow. My friends dogs are amazing works of art. I like walking Cooper, my avatar dog. He's big, flashy & very obedient and heels like a dream

·
Registered
918 Posts
I live in an area with TONS of Poodles, Standards even. Still we get stopped many, many times while out walking so people can ooh and ahhh over Jasper. Frequently people even stop as they're driving by to tell me how beautiful they think he is, and to fuss. No wonder he thinks he's all THAT and has attitude :p.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, we get it too. :) I really think it's a poodle thing. I get all sorts of questions like "What kind of a dog is that?" or "I didn't know poodles got so big," or "How come she's so calm?" or "Is she a show dog?" Kind of makes me laugh. We saw a corded standard walking down the street last week, and we pulled over too! I'll always pull over for a standard, they're so rare around here. However, Liberty is definitely in a pet trim. I think a poodle in a cc is especially traffic stopping!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts