Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your poodle wear a collar? If so, does he or she wear it all the time or do you take it off when at home?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Reece doesn't wear a collar. She has a harness, because she is so tiny. Fin and Allie both have collars they wear them when we go out, or if I leave town and they stay home with my husband or another family member. I'm anal like that.:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Both of my dogs wear their collars all of the time. I have 3 little kids that at any time could leave the front door open, and one of the dogs could slip out. If that happened, God forbid, then at least I would know they had their id tags on them! The only time I take them off is when they are having a bath.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My guys wear their collars all the time. Vinnie gets his taken off daily and brushed out. I don't have tags on my collars - they are embroidered with my cell number. My kids are also microchipped.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Mine wear always.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When Teddy was wearing his ID tags on his neck collar, I left it on him unless I went out and left him home alone. Since I put his ID tags on his new harness, he is no longer wearing the neck collar. I take the harness off at night. I don't know why, he sleeps with it on during the day. I think it bothers me more than it bothers him. But he always wears it during the day because I don't have an enclosed yard where I can just let him out to do his business. It's just easier to already have it on when I need to take him out.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
All my animals wear their collars and ID tags, even the indoor cat. Vegas also wears a harness when he's tethered to me so he's not pulling on his neck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Both dogs wear collars at all times. It's a rule here in our neighborhood, and I'd rather follow all the rules than have to find a new place to live that takes two dogs :lol: I have two little ones, and God forbid something happen, I like that my dogs would find their way home *hopefully*. I have their names, REWARD and my number and my husband's number on their tags.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
All four of our dogs wear their collars at all times... unless in the bath or drying from the bath... in which case they don't even go outside to potty until they have their tags back on. I have seen many missing dog posters with "had collar off because she was just given a bath" on them, and I don't want to be one of those people.

I live on a busy road next to a busy intersection and if you go for a few miles each way, you can hit the highway. I don't want to take any chances. The only one I am comfortable with not having a collar on all the time is the poodle. He is so attached to me that I think even if he got out during the day when no one was home, he would sit on the porch until A or I got home. (He was, after all, found waiting on the porch of his old home for owners that had moved out.) Even so, he still wears his collar, and for show he has a leash when we go out, even though he doesn't need one because he stays right by me and doesn't pull or lag behind.

None of them care to wear their collars all the time, and they each get opportunities to take them off several times each week and have a little break from them. They seem to be attached to their tags and collars, as well... whenever I take TQ's collar off, she is immediately trying to shove her head back through the loop to put it on... or if I keep it off for a few hours (sometimes I will take it off at night when we sleep), I will find her cuddling with it or even cleaning it later.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gentry wears his collar whenever we go outside and most of the time in the house. I got him a Pawket because I can't stand to hear the jingle jangle of the tags. It drives me CRAZY!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ocsi and Fallie get their collars put on every morning at walk time.
they wear them all day, then in the evening after coming back in from our evening walk their collars are removed for the night.

My sister's dog never wore a collar very much so at 13 years old, she is so bothered to wear a collar now, she scratches at it as if to say "but Mom! you know I'll always walk by your side! why do I need a stupid collar and leash to prove it!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
None of my dogs wear collars when they're in the house. I don't have small kids who may inadvertently let one escape and we seldom ever use our front door anyway... we have a door which opens into our garage that we use almost exclusively - besides the one that goes out to the fully fenced backyard. The dogs know that when the collars come out, it's time to "GO SOMEPLACE!!" and they get very excited to go! :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Blitz and Midge get their collars when we get up and keep them on until bed time. (no tag jingling at night) Lacey has never worn a collar because of show hair. Maari can't wear a collar or harness because of neck issues. Our back yard is enclosed by a block wall.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I will say for the most part, yes he has a collar on. Some of the collars he has doesnt have id tages on them. It is mostly to grab him quickly if needed. I have a collar rack by the back door if he doesnt have one on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine only wear collars when we go someplace. Too many crazy dogs biting each others necks, and playing to leave them on.

Poodles I have just recently put their tags on their collars (haha I'm so bad) and the schnauzers's tags are in my bag as I can't get them on the collars. But none of them are dogs that would run away, so thus none of them are microchipped either.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
But none of them are dogs that would run away, so thus none of them are microchipped either.
All of my dogs are chipped... Meau is not and I'm not sure if Katy will ever get her done or not, but Hannah, Juliet and Lucy all have microchips...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Nope, Paris and Riki rarely ever wear collars at all. About the only time collars come out is when we're going for a walk in public, which includes dog shows and training classes for Paris, as well as normal walks along the path with both of them.

They don't even wear collars when we leave the house to go somewhere, we all just go to the car, and only if going out into public do we put collars on before getting out of the car. Their collars don't have tags anyway, though their registration tags are in the car, and they don't have generic ID tags at all. lol

Paris doesn't wear a collar cos of her hair, and I guess I just prefer the look of no collar on Riki, and she prefers no collar as well!

My cats both wear collars & tags 24/7 though... lol!

Paris is microchipped (it's the law here for any dog initially registered after mid 2006 to be chipped) but Riki isn't.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Nope. :) Desmond only wears his collar if we're going out to potty (we don't have a yard) or if we're leaving the house. He used to, but I took it off during the coat change to attempt to reduce matting, and just decided to leave it off.

His tags aren't on his collar either. He has them on one of his collars, but it's just a rabies tag and a tag that has our vets name and his ID to that vet on it. He doesn't have a name tag or anything with my address, which I should probably get haha. I gotta say though, having the tags on there is all the more encouragement to leave the collar off!! I HATE tags! Hate hate hate them. They drive me insane, and he's had his collar + tags on in the house occasionally... it's unbearable. The constant jingling... ugh. So, he goes nekkid regardless. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts